Original Overpower art

Started by JohnL, April 05, 2011, 01:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnL

Anyone interested in an art thread? I've got a lot of images I could share. These are a mix of art I own, art that passed through my hands and images I saved from auctions, web pages and other sources.

I'll start out with a selection of Greg Luzniak's cool hero cards. He did a lot of the IQ characters (although most IQ cards were inked the hero cards were not). His tight pencils worked well and having one person do a lot of the hero cards gave the set a recognizable quality

Jack

JohnL

And a nice collection of DC3 Doubleshot cards by Tom Morgan whilst I'm at it. I have these framed in pairs and they look great. A pity the set never saw the light of day...

Jack

63 of them, I think there's a few dupes.

drdeath25

All of these are beautiful. I am so jealous I never purchased a piece of original art back when they were more available to find. Always something i will regret to never have one hanging on my wall.

I really enjoy you posting these, they are always great to see.

JohnL

Nice. That's a good source I hadn't looked at in a while. There are some other Overpower cards there that aren't labeled as such and so you need to search around to find them. I know there are some nice Goblyn Queen cards (that also aren't labeled as Goblyn Queen) but I don't remember what they are labeled as.

I like the George Perez DC Universe form the DC3 set. Also I've always liked Royd's Ashley Wood cards.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:50:17 AM

Quote from: drdeath25 on April 05, 2011, 02:35:13 AM
All of these are beautiful. I am so jealous I never purchased a piece of original art back when they were more available to find. Always something i will regret to never have one hanging on my wall.

I really enjoy you posting these, they are always great to see.

What are you looking for? I'm sure I can hook you up. I have a lot of DC and Image I'd let go. I'm more attached to the Marvel although there are still some pieces looking for a good home.
John

drdeath25

If I remember correctly, in the past you had the art for one the Spawn cards that I always admired of yours quite a bit. I don't think it was one of his specials, it might of been the Spawn Spies event card. If you still had that and would be willing to part with it, thats a piece I would love to own.

In general any overpower art with either Spawn, Joker, Riddler, Neron, Ghost Rider or Red Skull would be something that I would tend to have the most interest in owning. If any of those are something you can part with, feel free to name your price and I'm sure we would be able to work something out.

If not, I am sure I would still be greatly interested in any Overpower art you would be willing to part with  .

Onslaught

I remember seeing the Batman/electric Superman from you at Comic Con ('99?) and thinking about how cool DC3 might have been. Seems like that was just yesterday...

gameplan.exe

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

JohnL

Quote from: drdeath25 on April 05, 2011, 07:16:20 AM
If I remember correctly, in the past you had the art for one the Spawn cards that I always admired of yours quite a bit. I don't think it was one of his specials, it might of been the Spawn Spies event card. If you still had that and would be willing to part with it, thats a piece I would love to own.

In general any overpower art with either Spawn, Joker, Riddler, Neron, Ghost Rider or Red Skull would be something that I would tend to have the most interest in owning. If any of those are something you can part with, feel free to name your price and I'm sure we would be able to work something out.

If not, I am sure I would still be greatly interested in any Overpower art you would be willing to part with  .

If I still have it it's yours. I passed on a lot of the Image art because I bought a whole bunch direct from Mike Manley. I'll check this evening when I get home. I have feeling this one is gone but maybe this one is left:

I had an awesome Neron piece, the hero card I think. I may still have that one. I'll try to find a scan. That one was expensive though. Actually maybe I had a special as well.

I don't think I have any Joker or Riddler. A pity you didn't say Trickster or Two-Face. I think I still have the full set of Trickster cards and Two-Face's Flip of the Coin.

Sorry to be so disorganized but all the scans are on hard drives I extracted from computers over 10 years ago (this one is from a computer that was running Windows 95) and are in my office whilst the art is at home.

Whilst I was looking for an image of the Neron card I came across this awesome Matt Haley piece. Can someone remind me what this was used for? It looks familiar but I can't place it. Sorry, I don't own this one and don't know who does.

Onslaught

Quote from: JohnLI had an awesome Neron piece, the hero card I think. I may still have that one. I'll try to find a scan. That one was expensive though. Actually maybe I had a special as well.

Was it this one?

drdeath25

Those all look great also, I really enjoyed the idea Spawn in his alley with his people being a teamwork card. As for the Batman/Superman card, I immediately thought it might of been a doubleshot, but it looks like i was wrong. Perhaps that one is art for a card that was not released?

Sadly Trickster and Two-Face were never one of my favorite characters in any universe, but they certainty do have their moments, as do some others. I love to see all of this overpower art, they are all beautiful in my opinion, no matter which character is being brought to life on the art.

JohnL

Quote from: Onslaught on April 05, 2011, 06:16:49 PM
Quote from: JohnLI had an awesome Neron piece, the hero card I think. I may still have that one. I'll try to find a scan. That one was expensive though. Actually maybe I had a special as well.

Was it this one?

Heh. I was going to say no, but now I'm home and look through some records I kept (this was all mainly in 1999) I find that yes, I did once have Neron's 'Your Soul is Mine' and 'Necromantic Blast'. These are gone, in fact this was what I typically did, buy two to three times as much as I wanted (or could afford) and passed on most of it so I could afford to keep what I wanted. I kept the Neron hero card. I'll have to find a scan because looking at it now I realize that this card was heavily cropped. Neron is standing on a lake of fire. The lower corner contains two skulls, one of which appears to be screaming and a skeletal arm pokes up. Nice!

DrDeath, I do still have both those Spawn pieces as well so contact me (you know my name and google will get you my e-mail at UCSB). I'll put together a list of all the art I have for sale if anyone still wants any but I'll post it under 'Where to Buy' which seems more appropriate and keep this thread mainly just for enjoying the art.

Speaking of which here is one of the favorite pieces in my own collection:

Onslaught

That Infinity Gauntlet Artifact art looks even better than the colored card version, which is saying a lot since the card looks pretty great itself. Is that another Luzniak?

Here is another good one that looks better than the colored card version in my opinion:

JohnL

Good eye. Yes, the infinity gauntlet is Greg Luzniak again. I eventually got in contact with him direct and got a list of some card pieces and had to snap this one up even though I thought his prices were rather high (I payed a lot less for his other pieces on e-bay).

I just sent you a fairly lengthy e-mail where after some deliberation I finally remembered the name Ben Herrera only to find you'd posted a Ben Herrera image here! The Donnelly Brothers used to have this one and probably still do given how hard it is to deal with them (despite the fact they are meant to be art dealers...) I think they represented Ben Herrera because they had quite a lot of his art at one time.