Save all the customs you can now

Started by Dog, September 09, 2023, 03:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

Hey, this is not good news I have to bring, but I highly suggest that if you are a custom creator or an enjoyer of customs, that you save everything you want and have multiple redundancies if you want to keep them online somewhere. BMG, the current holders of the OverPower trademark in the U.S., recently got every shred of the Power Balance stuff erased from Facebook. This was in reaction to new cards being produced, not for profit, in a place where BMG doesn't even hold the trademark. But since Facebook is reactive, they just followed what the complaint said.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I guess that's the world we live in now. Be forewarned, and act accordingly.

justa

I justa saw this (the event, not your post  ;)) about an hour ago, and I was confused.  I hadn't heard that OPBalance was selling their cards.    And considering the BMG changes in skill names and/or icons, is it even within the realm of their product, or only and echo of the previous game.  I don't know - I'm no legal-eagle.  But thanks for the head's up.  Mine are free for all to use or ignore as they will.  I do not print or sell - it's all "justa for fun".

PS - Is the "Dark Web Expansion" folder on the ATL Facebook yours (and/or Francisco's), and if so, will it ever be filled?

Dog

I'd still watch out if I were you. Make sure you have everything saved offline.

Power Balance's big mistake was putting the name "OverPower" on them, which they were warned against (not by BMG). They're not in a location where BMG has the trademark, but Facebook is international (and based in America), so they may have been breaking that site's terms and conditions.

I don't know if it's fair to say they're "selling" the cards, as they're just asking for the cost of production/commissioning the artists (so they say). But I'm also not a lawyer.