Negate a Negate

Started by Palatinus, April 16, 2011, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

If someone Negates your special as a defensive action can you respond by negating their negate to get your special through?

Jack

No. You can only play a defensive action against an offensive action, never against a defensive action. This is where strategy comes to play with drawing out your opponent's negate.

Palatinus

I thought as much, but wanted to make sure since there are special rules about Negates that differ from other specials.

metaphist

Another question about negates: Can you defensively negate something that doesn't target one of your characters? What about with the Any Hero negate?

Jack

It negates any special (except those that may not be defended by a special card -- JW, or the DoW), it's a very critical part of the game too. If your opponent wants to Draw 3 cards, you can negate it outright. That's where the strategy comes in; if you're playing against a negate deck, you'd want to force out the negate before you play the Draw 3 and hope he doesn't have another.

metaphist

Thought so, just wanted to be sure. But in the case of directly being attacked by a special, only the character being attacked can use a negate on the special, correct?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: metaphist on April 20, 2011, 01:46:03 PM
Thought so, just wanted to be sure. But in the case of directly being attacked by a special, only the character being attacked can use a negate on the special, correct?

Nope, anyone can negate it. Unless it's a limited negate such as Longshot's, which says negate a special played against Longshot.

The standard negate stops any special played by the opponent, regardless of who it is used against.

-BBH

metaphist

Can you negate another offensively played negate to save your special?

Jack

Yes, if your opponent is playing a negate as his offensive action, you can negate that one as your defence.

DiceK

I agree w/ Jack.  I haven't read all the meta rules since I was playing back in the day; however, I believe that logic to be correct.

Player 1 could negate a special card attack that hit during or in a previous battle.  The only way they could do this is offensively.  At that point, Player 2 could respond w/ a negate of their own. 

DiceK

Nate Grey

Quote from: DiceK on April 22, 2011, 06:26:52 AM
I agree w/ Jack.  I haven't read all the meta rules since I was playing back in the day; however, I believe that logic to be correct.

Player 1 could negate a special card attack that hit during or in a previous battle.  The only way they could do this is offensively.  At that point, Player 2 could respond w/ a negate of their own. 

DiceK

Not all that long ago I learned your opponent could remove a Special card hit from the current battle using an offensively played negate. So you are also saying you could remove a Special that is on your permanent record that same way?

Nostalgic

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Nate Grey

Palatinus

Quote from: Nate Grey on April 23, 2011, 07:39:40 PM

Not all that long ago I learned your opponent could remove a Special card hit from the current battle using an offensively played negate. So you are also saying you could remove a Special that is on your permanent record that same way?

Unless it is Morbius's negate.   :P

metaphist

Quote from: Palatinus on April 24, 2011, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: Nate Grey on April 23, 2011, 07:39:40 PM

Unless it is Morbius's negate.   :P

Wow, removing hits with a Negate is news to me. I see more and more why they are so valuable. But now that I look at it, Morbius's Negate is one of those cards you can reverse engineer a rule from whether or not it's explicitly stated.