Do inherent abilities transfer to double shots?

Started by Nostalgic, April 15, 2015, 11:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

Examples:
Domino's inherent ability states: Energy power cards are +2 to defense.  If she contributes a level 4 energy power card to a teammate using a double shot can they defend a level 10 attack? (I've always thought this was the case.)

Crux's inherent ability states: Crux may avoid any attack with a level 1 intellect power card. If she contributes a level 1 intellect power card to a teammate attacked by "power leech" could the teammate avoid it? ( I hope so...)

I believe the majority opinion is that double shots suck anyway so I don't think there are broken scenarios with these possibilities. I was wondering however if there are any specific rules references contradicting this interpretation?

I mean two cards are being used in the defense of an attack much like if the attack was shifted from the target character to one of these two characters.  I think I read somewhere that when 2 cards are combined they share properties.  The particular power cards used by these 2 characters have some unique properties and it doesn't seem they should be turned off when use with a double shot.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 15, 2015, 11:49:53 PM
Domino's inherent ability states: Energy power cards are +2 to defense.  If she contributes a level 4 energy power card to a teammate using a double shot can they defend a level 10 attack? (I've always thought this was the case.)
Yes

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 15, 2015, 11:49:53 PMCrux's inherent ability states: Crux may avoid any attack with a level 1 intellect power card. If she contributes a level 1 intellect power card to a teammate attacked by "power leech" could the teammate avoid it? ( I hope so...)
Likely not.

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 15, 2015, 11:49:53 PMI mean two cards are being used in the defense of an attack much like if the attack was shifted from the target character to one of these two characters.  I think I read somewhere that when 2 cards are combined they share properties.  The particular power cards used by these 2 characters have some unique properties and it doesn't seem they should be turned off when use with a double shot.
It's because of the combination they also lose properties. They lose their uniqueness. With the Cosmic Sneak Attack, playing L1 PC along with any other card disqualifies it from being just a Level 1 Power Card attack and can be blocked by normal means.

It's hard to make a definitive ruling for Crux based on this principle alone since it doesn't quite have the same wording. The other interpretation would be that Crux isn't the one receiving the attack, the teammate is (and playing the doubleshot). That's probably how I'd rule this in a tournament.

Nostalgic

What if Crux was in reserve and Dazzler on the front line. Would Dazzler's inherent allow Crux to use level 1 intellect cards to avoid attacks for her?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Jack

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 16, 2015, 07:37:58 PM
What if Crux was in reserve and Dazzler on the front line. Would Dazzler's inherent allow Crux to use level 1 intellect cards to avoid attacks for her?
There's nothing I can find that would not allow this action, so it would be legal.

Kyoujin

Nostalgic

Quote from: Jack on April 16, 2015, 07:59:37 AM
Quote from: Nostalgic on April 15, 2015, 11:49:53 PMI mean two cards are being used in the defense of an attack much like if the attack was shifted from the target character to one of these two characters.  I think I read somewhere that when 2 cards are combined they share properties.  The particular power cards used by these 2 characters have some unique properties and it doesn't seem they should be turned off when use with a double shot.
It's because of the combination they also lose properties. They lose their uniqueness. With the Cosmic Sneak Attack, playing L1 PC along with any other card disqualifies it from being just a Level 1 Power Card attack and can be blocked by normal means.

It's hard to make a definitive ruling for Crux based on this principle alone since it doesn't quite have the same wording. The other interpretation would be that Crux isn't the one receiving the attack, the teammate is (and playing the doubleshot). That's probably how I'd rule this in a tournament.

Here's another scenario. Character A has a double shot placed, and character B has a 3 power card placed that could be combined with the double shot. If character A is attacked by a CV special, could A use the double shot + B's placed 3 power card as a legal defense?

breadmaster

i don't think so. the CV can only be defended with the 3

and it's been a while, but I'm gonna disagree with crux being able to defend dazzler with 1s.  if dazzler's inherent shifted the attack to reserve to be defended, it would work, but there's nothing to indicate this.  the attack is made on dazzler, and the reserve can use power cards to block.

Jack

Quote from: breadmaster on July 13, 2015, 10:57:26 PM
if dazzler's inherent shifted the attack to reserve to be defended, it would work, but there's nothing to indicate this.  the attack is made on dazzler, and the reserve can use power cards to block.

And that's the exact reason why it works...

BasiliskFang