Animated DC

Started by Palatinus, March 31, 2011, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

I just started watching the new Young Justice cartoon and I am definitely enjoying it.  The tone is more mature and better designed than a lot of the recent offerings and that's not even considering Batman the brave and the bold show.  Also the voice acting is very good even if Kevin Conroy isn't Batman.

Palatinus

I was curious what people's opinions were on all the DC comic cartoons.  I think my favorites were easily the stuff done by Bruce Timm.  I loved B:TAS, S:TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League/Unlimited.  That stuff was great.  I couldn't stand "The Batman" cartoon and only kind of liked Legion of Superheroes.  I can actually watch Batman:TBatB, but it really isn't very good.

Kal-el

I've watched the first few YJ cartoons and I'm just not really getting into it. I'm not sure if it's because I miss the 'real' DCAU or if it's because I really liked the YJ comic and this isn't as good, but it's just not grabbing me.

Hopefully it'll get better, but it's definitely no Justice League Unlimited.

Palatinus

Quote from: Kal-el on April 26, 2011, 01:29:12 PM
I've watched the first few YJ cartoons and I'm just not really getting into it. I'm not sure if it's because I miss the 'real' DCAU or if it's because I really liked the YJ comic and this isn't as good, but it's just not grabbing me.

The DCAU was amazing.  I haven't read the Young Justice comics, but generally the comics I have enjoyed from DC lately have been the team comics.

Dark_Lord_Tarkas

I realize this thread is about television series, but I feel some of the best animated films of the past ten years have been DC Comics animated films. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Justice League: The New Frontier, Green Lantern: First Flight, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman: Doomsday, and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse were all HIGHLY enjoyable in my opinion, some of the best comic book movies ever.
(I used to be Karmanal of Zert here.)

Jesse

Quote from: Kal-el on April 26, 2011, 01:29:12 PM

I felt the same way when I first started watching this show. The  main downside for me was the difference in characters. I hate it when something loses its continuity i.e. adding aqualad and losing several of the characters from the book. However, when I started looking at them as 2 completely seperate units (book series, cartoon show) I really liked them both - I will admit I still find myself saying I wish the show held a little more true to the comics, from time to time  ;)
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

There are lots of problems with trying to "stay true" to the comics though.  For one thing, which comics?  There are very few series in DC especially that haven't been rebooted or ret-conned over the years.  Another issue is that translating a comic book into a cartoon requires certain changes.  As for Young Justice, every episode is better than the last and I really like the character designs.  It really makes me want a Justice League cartoon again though.  The cameos from the JLers are great, but they really need their own show.

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on March 27, 2012, 11:02:37 PM
There are lots of problems with trying to "stay true" to the comics though.  For one thing, which comics?  There are very few series in DC especially that haven't been rebooted or ret-conned over the years.  Another issue is that translating a comic book into a cartoon requires certain changes.  As for Young Justice, every episode is better than the last and I really like the character designs.  It really makes me want a Justice League cartoon again though.  The cameos from the JLers are great, but they really need their own show.

I agree. I have enjoyed each episode more as they come out and have been downloading them ep by ep instead of waiting for the full season. For the most part Young Justice has really only had 2 comic versions - the team from the Young Justice Comics pre tv show and the team based on the tv series. Personally I like the Pre tv series comics better than the ones based on the show - but after watching the show as long as its been on I couldnt imagine watching it with the characters from the original set (follow that crazy concept  ;)).
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster