Chained attacks, what's legal

Started by Palatinus, May 03, 2011, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

So, if I play a special that allows one or more follow up attacks, can they be teamwork cards with both the other teammate's contributions?

Jack

Universe cards can only be made at the top of the turn unless otherwise specified. Teamworks can only be played at the top of the turn.

The Dude

The easiest way to remember what can be a follow-up attack is it has to be something a hero does himself.

So Wolverine plays an AA. He can use a Wolverine Special card, a Power card or a Power card combined with a basic universe or training card because these are things Wolverine does himself.

He cannot play an Any Hero or Activator (these represent guest stars helping him), an Ally card (in the rules because it requires a teammate follow-up but for easy rememberance an Ally is non-supowered civilian aiding him), a teamwork or a doubleshot (because they require the contributing action of a teammate who is not part of the follow-up attack bonus in the special text).

This rule also applies to the teammate follow-up special cards (invisible woman's 3 or Dazzler's 6) Each follow-up must be an individual attack by the heroes following up and not a "guest star" or "joint-attack"

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:13:32 PM

As an addendum to the above you can make unlimited follow-ups provided they obey the individual mandate.

So for example Dr. Strange plays Elderitch Blast (2E + 2follow-ups) for arguments sake let's say he throws out a big attack first (either an 8E or even a non-numeric Crimson Bands of Cytorak) followed by Catastrophe Magic (4E may make 1 Fighting and 1 Intellect Power card attack) So he can indeed throw the 2F and 6I as well for a five card attack string since all of the attacks are invidual.

This is also how Beyonder can be an attack string machine since all those teammate specials become personal attacks for him so say he was teamed with Strange, White Queen and Morph he could play Stange's Elderitch Blast + any power or special card + Morph's Amazing X-man + any power or special card + White Queen AA + White Queen JW + Powercard all in one turn for an 8 card attack

gameplan.exe

There are actually quite a few people who can put together good little strings, but I think Dr.S might have the longest individual string, although not necessarily the best.

Personally, I love Nightcrawler's string. He can go 4F, 3S, DZ, 9E (which is an 11 to block, off of his 3S). Also, after the killer intro they gave him in XM2, his stringed attacks just seem so much more s!!k  8)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Quote from: The Dude on May 04, 2011, 02:47:54 PM
The easiest way to remember what can be a follow-up attack is it has to be something a hero does himself.

So Wolverine plays an AA. He can use a Wolverine Special card, a Power card or a Power card combined with a basic universe or training card because these are things Wolverine does himself.

He cannot play an Any Hero or Activator (these represent guest stars helping him), an Ally card (in the rules because it requires a teammate follow-up but for easy rememberance an Ally is non-supowered civilian aiding him), a teamwork or a doubleshot (because they require the contributing action of a teammate who is not part of the follow-up attack bonus in the special text).

This rule also applies to the teammate follow-up special cards (invisible woman's 3 or Dazzler's 6) Each follow-up must be an individual attack by the heroes following up and not a "guest star" or "joint-attack"

That's a great way of explaining it! Thanks Dude! I got confused about chained attacks as well but you made it easy to remember.  :)

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on May 04, 2011, 03:09:38 PMPersonally, I love Nightcrawler's string. He can go 4F, 3S, DZ, 9E (which is an 11 to block, off of his 3S). Also, after the killer intro they gave him in XM2, his stringed attacks just seem so much more s!!k  8)

QTF! One of my favorites as well.

I think they did a good job on his specials. Nightcrawler is one of the characters that just "feels" right when you play him. 
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

I was going to start a new thread, but my question fits this subject. Thanks, Palatinus, your consolidation of rules questions helped!  :)

Per the Meta Rules, "An attack is something which directly affects either the opponent or one of the opponent's Characters. It does not include offensive actions that do not affect the opposing side. " Does this include card that affect my opponent's Draw Pile, Discard piles, or Battlesite cards?

BW, EP, GL, HB, LA, LD etc?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on June 20, 2011, 03:46:37 PM
Per the Meta Rules, "An attack is something which directly affects either the opponent or one of the opponent's Characters. It does not include offensive actions that do not affect the opposing side. " Does this include card that affect my opponent's Draw Pile, Discard piles, or Battlesite cards?

Yes. That is by definition affecting your opponent. It's for that reason you can't pass with one of those in hand.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 20, 2011, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on June 20, 2011, 03:46:37 PM

Yes. That is by definition affecting your opponent. It's for that reason you can't pass with one of those in hand.

-BBH

I just became a bigger fan of Huntress!  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Maybe I'm mistaken, or just had bad intel back in the day, but I was under the pretence that you could NOT chain attacks beyond the allowance of the initial attack.  For instance an AA special allows for a second attack, but even if the second attack allowed for more attacks, you simply were not allowed to play them.  Perhaps this was a ruling about Death From Above specifically, and I just assumed it applied to ALL specials that allowed extra attacks, but I've never seen a chain go higher then the initial special + what that one special allowed for as an extra.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on July 10, 2011, 01:27:37 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, or just had bad intel back in the day, but I was under the pretence that you could NOT chain attacks beyond the allowance of the initial attack.  For instance an AA special allows for a second attack, but even if the second attack allowed for more attacks, you simply were not allowed to play them.  Perhaps this was a ruling about Death From Above specifically, and I just assumed it applied to ALL specials that allowed extra attacks, but I've never seen a chain go higher then the initial special + what that one special allowed for as an extra.

Only partially bad intel...

You CAN continue strings so long as they are from the same character. So, Dr. Strange can play Death from Above, followed by Eldritch Blasts, followed by Catastrophe Magic for a potential 6 hit string.

Death from Above would have to lead it, of course, as you can't follow up with Any Heroes.

The exception is that an Ally played by another character could start the chain, but the follow ups from the specials still have to come from the same guy.

You CANNOT, however, when using a special card that allows a teammate to follow up (IE: Superboy: The Ravers) continue strings. If a teammate following The Ravers plays a card that allows it's own follow up, then you forfeit the additional follow up.

So in other words, no using Superboy to start a big string from teammates, and keep the string going with Invisible Woman's equivalent card.

-BBH

Ranerdar

Quote from: BigBadHarve on July 10, 2011, 04:25:54 PM
You CANNOT, however, when using a special card that allows a teammate to follow up (IE: Superboy: The Ravers) continue strings. If a teammate following The Ravers plays a card that allows it's own follow up, then you forfeit the additional follow up.

So in other words, no using Superboy to start a big string from teammates, and keep the string going with Invisible Woman's equivalent card.

-BBH

Lame.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Demacus

mattkoz

In these chains, can follow ups be made against any Target Character unless specified?

Gambit's 52 Card Pickup AA is clear that it must be made against a different opponent.

Deadpool's Killing Machine AA is more vague.  So does that mean you have full flexibility of targets for that next attack (either continuing to attack the same opponent or moving on to target someone else)?

If you chain a few together, can you bounce around targeting different Characters as long as the attacks originate from the same attacker?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: mattkoz on August 03, 2011, 09:44:33 AM
In these chains, can follow ups be made against any Target Character unless specified?

Gambit's 52 Card Pickup AA is clear that it must be made against a different opponent.

Deadpool's Killing Machine AA is more vague.  So does that mean you have full flexibility of targets for that next attack (either continuing to attack the same opponent or moving on to target someone else)?

If you chain a few together, can you bounce around targeting different Characters as long as the attacks originate from the same attacker?

yes, if specified, you must follow card text. So, Gambit's AA must be a diff character. That also means that if your Opp only has 1 character left, you lose the follow-up. It also means that you cannot follow up against their Battlesite, as that is defined as a non-character.

yes, if un-specified, then you have complete flexibility, in terms of the target of the follow-up attacks. You can bounce around or continue to barrage a single person, or even switch to targeting the Battlesite.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27