Online Tournament

Started by gameplan.exe, February 08, 2013, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Isn't it about time we had another Online Tournament?! Our last tournament kinda fizzled out before last Summer. That was really too bad, since I really liked that format...

Anyway, I'm game for another (or even finishing the aforementioned), but I thought maybe we could open up a brainstorming session for ideas on themes, paramaters, formats, etc. I figured we've had quite a few people join the forums since last Summer, too, so maybe we could start something fresh.

Anyone else interested?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

possibly
possible theme.....no spectrum ko till each front line character on opponent's team has taken at least 1 hit on either record

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on February 09, 2013, 12:46:52 AM
possibly
possible theme.....no spectrum ko till each front line character on opponent's team has taken at least 1 hit on either record

that seems... excessive... in it's change. that would take away from some of the unique strategies for survival...  :-\

I was thinking more along the lines of a Homebase draft, or a max-7, or some other deck-parameter (as opposed to a mechanic change)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

anyone(but me) can win the easy way ;)

would we be able to use any legal deck?
homebase draft? is that like only one player can have a specific homebase?

DiceK

I would have to juggle some things, but would be open to participating in an Online Tournament again.

I am about to play in my first Max 6 Tournament in Buffalo in March. 

My suggestion, would be a Max 7 Tournament. 

Nate Grey

Been quite the busy guy this year but I would be willing to try my best to participate.

DarKBladE09

I'd would play for sure. I like the Homebase draft idea. I would prefer something more creative than Max 7, but am fine with it. I would love to play a KO only tourney! No missions, no cheese wins! Only problem is that they may be long games.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: DarKBladE09 on February 16, 2013, 08:14:12 PM
I'd would play for sure. I like the Homebase draft idea. I would prefer something more creative than Max 7, but am fine with it. I would love to play a KO only tourney! No missions, no cheese wins! Only problem is that they may be long games.

The main problem I thought of, in the Homebase Draft idea, is that there are kind of a limited number of "competetive" Homebases, aren't there? I mean, Avalon is a pretty good Homebase, but could it really stand up to FourFreedomsPlaza?

I agree that a max-7 seems a little boring, though...

What if it was something like these quirky set ups?

The Main EVENT: each deck must contain at least 4 Event cards. Each Event will be played, and a replacement card drawn, regardless of when the Event is drawn.

Countdown: each deck must contain a 20, 19, 18, and 17 point character.

Couples Only: for each pair of characters who have dated, that team is +1 to Venture total per Battle, until those characters are KO'd
(Cyclops, White Queen, Jean Grey, Wolverine are +3 Venture!)

Thicker Than Water: each deck must contain at least two characters who are blood relatives.

I guess this would be kind of blending into a Guess The Theme Tournament! lol
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

DarKBladE09

I believe Avalon could stand up to FFA but yes, whoever got the first few draft picks for homebases would have a big advantage. Would have to even things out a bit, like maybe have 2 of each homebase in the pool or possibly 3, depending on how many players want to compete.

I like the main event idea, in theory. I think it would be cool if this were a tourney in person and each player made a 15 event "deck" out of any events they wanted and every hand, a card from each players' event deck would be played. The event deck would be shuffled, of course. But alas, that wouldnt work online.

Countdown deck seems like a good spinoff of the max 7... I like it

KObossy

Id play also if I get OPOnline up and running. If its anything but a regular tourney I would need time to make a new deck tho.

gameplan.exe

wow, so it seems like this topic faded more quickly than our last tournament! how about a little revisiting?

would there be more interest garnered if this was a simple tournament? Set up something like a plain Round Robin and then seed based on those results. Then set it up as a Double Elim (or even Single Elim) tournament...
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

CoS

I'd participate if we used real cards ans Skyped our matches!

odbjosh