OP Online

Started by rucker73, December 06, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rucker73

Hey everyone, just dropping a line to let you know that I have OP Online and have been playing online with Bios.  Feel free to email me @ rucker_73@hotmail.com and I will send you the link to the program.
"Wade! into action!"

Bios

It is great to play OP online again. Seems that our group is getting bigger, there are 5 people in my MSN willing to venture a few missions! Hope more people join us soon!

War Destroyer

Hey! I used to play Bios way back when when irc had the OP channel...

Bios

Hey, I remember you. We had good games! The good news is that I am working with a new version of the OP online program and soon we'll have the chance to play again. Here is my e-mail, if you want to get news about the program development: bios37@hotmail.com

gameplan.exe

Is it just me, or is the Danger Room ASPECT card, HOLOGRAPHIC ATTACKERS missing from OP Online?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

The programmer of OPOnline had "The Danger Room" for the Aspect but only "Danger Room" for the homebase. Same for Outback. Since they aren't the same thing, it doesn't show up. How to fix? I'll look into obtaining the latest database from the Philly OP people with the new Marvels art and bug them for a correction of some of these. I'll likely repackage OPOnline (and hopefully find a better way to update OPOnline than redownloading 70MB).

You'll also notice that anything with a : (colon) in the name is missing by default when you go to Specials.

Onslaught

As long as you're checking bugs, is there any way to add Dark Beast activators when making a battlesite? The old version (with Captain America for the loading screen) works fine, but the newer one (with Mr. Fantastic) doesn't let you add Beast specials on Dark Beast sites.

Jack

The only thing I can really do is modify the database. The Beast/Dark Beast is probably a constraint within the actual application, which I can't easily modify. I'm guessing it adds the first card it matches with the hero name, in this case being "Beast". That won't be an easy fix as I had to add more stuff into my own database to make it work nicely.

I also just discovered the bug where if you double click to add a card to a battlesite, it doesn't add the activator.

I have a very old version of the source code for OPO, I can look into it.. but it's written is something I don't use often.

Onslaught

Sometimes I think I should just make a MWS patch for Overpower. It wouldnt enforce the rules like OPOnline does, but it would be less buggy and (much more importantly) you could connect to a server instead of having to connect directly to another person's IP using Hamachi.

Jack

I was looking into that as well but I've decided to keep it completely on the web to make it friendlier to people that don't (won't) use Windows.

Onslaught

I don't know anything about programming, but I would love to help with any kind of project that could make OP playable through a browser. Decks could be saved online and accessible with a password or something, and then instead of having to find someone to play in advance and specifically connect to them, you could sit in a lobby and find opponents at random whenever someone else joins.

Is this just a pipe dream or is it kind of feasible?

Jack

All I need are testers, I think I can get this project done without any help (though it would be nice to get help!).

Everything you mentioned is very feasible. I can even import and export decks from my site to OPOnline. The current interface, with slight modifications, will be used to create decks. There will also be live viewing of matches and replays too. The gameplay will essentially be like OPOnline as it is with less buttons. You will be able to move cards on the table and it'll snap into place.

drdeath25

I would definitely love to test your new program for you, when it is ready for that phase! Sign me up!

Jack

I'll likely have the rest of the card selectors done by the end of April. Sign ups to the site will begin late May when you can start building and importing decks. There will be a silent period from then until August when I do the development on the actual game.

I've looked at my version of the source of OPOnline, it's a very old version, v1.5, there's a lot of things missing in it. It won't be feasible to bother modifying it to have a few bug fixes.

Onslaught

Quote from: Jack on March 10, 2011, 10:16:50 PM
There will also be live viewing of matches and replays too.

Yes! I've dreamed of OPOnline having a spectator mode forever. Great stuff, let me know if I can help with anything.