Any interest in an online tournament?

Started by Onslaught, February 01, 2011, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslaught

With the version of OP Online at www.oneperdeck.com and the program Hamachi, everyone should be able to play in an online tournament fairly easily.

Depending on the number of entrants, we could just do a straight constructed tournament....or something like each person has to bring a max 6 deck, a homebase deck, and a regular deck, and so on and so forth. If there were more entrants, just a normal tournament would be better. If there were only a few people, having multiple formats would make it so you got to play more than just a few games.

It would be cool to have some kind of prize support, either through a donation by me (or others) or maybe having a paypal tournament entry fee to buy some cool prizes. Or if we want to get really creative, how about seeing if one of the big ebay retailers (OrangeKing or BornAgain79) wants to sponsor the tournament and be in charge of prizes. I'm sure they make most of their sales to collectors, but maybe it would be in their interest to be able to have links to their monthly online tournaments or whatever in order to drum up interest in the game (which could help their sales in the long run).

drdeath25

This sounds like a good idea. It's a cheap way to bring Toronto and California together. Game scheduling would be the only potential problem i could see.

Kal-el

I'm totally on board with this idea.

Assuming I can find a PC to play on anyway. Linux and OPOnline don't get along.

Jack

BigBadHarve

Could be fun.

I'd suggest we try a few no-stakes free plays, to get a handle on running things online before going all out.

My only problem, personally, is that my OP online isn't cooperating any more, and won't connect with anyone. :(

-BBH

Kal-el

Quote from: Jack on February 01, 2011, 09:30:25 PM
Use a virtual machine.

I set up XP as a VM. The good news is that I got OPOnline and Deck both working.

The bad news is that I can't get my wireless to work and it won't let me resize the window in Deck, but I'll keep working at it.

Jack

Quote from: Kal-el on February 02, 2011, 12:28:34 AM
Quote from: Jack on February 01, 2011, 09:30:25 PM
Use a virtual machine.

I set up XP as a VM. The good news is that I got OPOnline and Deck both working.

The bad news is that I can't get my wireless to work and it won't let me resize the window in Deck, but I'll keep working at it.
I found the best way to wireless with a VM is to use a private subnet for the VMs and simply bridge that interface to your wireless one. Trying to use a 'wired' adapter through a wireless one in Bridged mode is very hard to set up.

gameplan.exe

I'm in for this, for sure! I have like 2 dozen decks built on OP Online, too. I'll play with as many decks as I'm allowed to use!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

drdeath25

I suggest each player is allowed to use 1 deck for the ENTIRE tournament, with a full deck list being sent to the tournament judge in advance (and we DO need a judge). This is to make sure nobody is swapping out cards (like an unusable DoW, or certain Events) before facing a opponent when they already know which deck their opponent will be using.

Hot Rod

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 01, 2011, 10:24:40 PM
Could be fun.

I'd suggest we try a few no-stakes free plays, to get a handle on running things online before going all out.

My only problem, personally, is that my OP online isn't cooperating any more, and won't connect with anyone. :(

-BBH

I can't get OPonline to work either.  First it was a 339 error (I fixed this no problem), now it's a 372 error that doesn't seem to acknowledge I've swapped out "comdlg32.ocx" 3 times.  Also, I love that a program from 2004 is telling me windows 7 is outdated.

I hope Jack gets his client up and going for those of us who can't get this shit-sandwich to work!

CoS

i am interested. I have both played as well as been a TD for online ccgs before. I can tell you running a two week long Battletech CCG tournament via apprentice took ALOT of work and commitment as well as planning.

rucker73

If I were to ever get OP online working again I would definitely be up for this
"Wade! into action!"

gameplan.exe

Quote from: drdeath25 on February 02, 2011, 06:12:41 PM
I suggest each player is allowed to use 1 deck for the ENTIRE tournament, with a full deck list being sent to the tournament judge in advance (and we DO need a judge). This is to make sure nobody is swapping out cards (like an unusable DoW, or certain Events) before facing a opponent when they already know which deck their opponent will be using.

I know what you mean about messing with decks in the middle of the tournament. I just meant I'm always willing to play and I love running theme decks, so I have a lot. They're not usually excellent, but I get good to great decks up, even with my own limitations in place  ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

I just wanted to clarify something about OP online.  Is this the program you can download from Jack's site.  OP online v2.5.3?

Post Merge: July 22, 2011, 04:13:36 PM

Oh sorry I just realized there was a link in the first post.  :P  Previously the way I got to the site was www.overpower.ca and I didn't make the connection.  I'll see if I can download it, but I think I had a problem the last time. 
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

Overpower.ca and OnePerDeck.com are both the same. I'm having a tough time deciding which to use officially.