Looking to join development

Started by aaron.damyen, May 18, 2015, 11:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron.damyen

Hi everyone,

I've had a passion for collecting Overpower cards since release and have wanted to build an online version of the game.  I've just come across OPO after being away from the game at school and want to join the development team.  I've got a good deal of training in software development and have built data-oriented and process-oriented projects at work similar to the Deck Builder and OpOnline.

If you have any information about how I can join up or who I may need to contact, please let me know.  At least I can help clean up the installer.

Many thanks,
Aaron

breadmaster

hey aaron

people have made attempts at cleaning up opo, but as far as I know, nothing has really stuck

you may want to try PMing darkblade, as I think he was the last one trying this

DarKBladE09

Hi Aaron,

If you're serious, I would be interested in working with you. My biggest obstacle is GUI. I've made quite a bit of progress on a completely new c#-based (Visio Studio) OPO game, but the nuances of the GUI caused me to put it on hold. There's also another person who runs the overpower.ca site that wants to make the game into a web browser. Obviously, this is a big shift away from the work I've already done, but I am willing to do that because it would work for Macs and PCs and most likely people could also play on their tablets and smartphones to some degree.

Hit me up if you're interested.
codylanier09@gmail.com

Bloodwurm

Hi Darkblade, I'd also be interested in working on OPO. I've actually started some WPF based project some months back and some networking project since then. Would be interested in giving it a shot, I'll send you an email in private. I dont have any experience with web browsers though.

DarKBladE09

Noice! Just to let everyone know... we have a little team going 3-5 people committed and/or interested in helping.

Zer0evil

So has any progress been made with this online version? Would be really cool to grow the player base online.
"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.

DarKBladE09

To be honest, it hasn't really gotten off the floor. I set up the basic infrastructure but it doesn't seem to be moving at the moment. It probably won't get going until I get some initial coding done so our incremental goals are more visible and attainable. The hard part is finding the time and motivation in the rare instances that I have a lot of free time. I imagine its the same kind of situation for the other people involved. I apoligize for repeatedly getting peoples' hopes up. However, I still do have aspirations to get to it.

Zer0evil

You should start a Github repo for it, would be easier for other's to contribute on their own time in an orderly manner.

EDIT: forgot to mention the possibility of 3rd party software:

https://dulst.com/

http://www.lackeyccg.com/

Haven't used them so I don't know if they would make things easier or harder.
"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.

clericblackdave

Have any of you tried running the current OPonline on Windows 10 with a touchscreen computer?

Maybe the gameplay / feel faster and more intuitive.

I would try that, and consider whether or not working on updating OPonline or whatnot has any merit.

DarKBladE09

Zer0Evil, we do have a github repo going. I setup all the infrastructure already, it just doesn't seem like anyone has time to get serious on design and code.