Hamachi (warning, pictures involved)

Started by Jack, March 26, 2011, 11:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Since I've been getting a few requests, here's a Hamachi tutorial to connect OPO.

I'm doing this tutorial with Windows 7. Windows XP users will probably see less popups, Windows Vista will probably see more.

So, after downloading Hamachi, open it.

(Windows 7): tell the UAC that this program is OK to install.

Go through all the steps and you'll arrive here.

The program will launch, click the Power on button to make things work.

You'll be asked to put in your name.

It'll take some time to connect to Hamachi servers and grant you an IP address. This IP address can only be used within Hamachi and only to people connected to your network(s).

(Windows Vista/7): You'll likely be prompted to choose what type of network this is. Choose Home/Work if you don't want to mess with Firewall issues.

It's probably a good idea for us to create a OP specific network that we can all join (limited to 16 people?). But for now, choose something and hope it's not taken.

Here's my example.

Have your opponents join the network using the network ID and password. I joined my other client.

Load your decks and decide who's going to host. The host should type their own IP address into the Host box. Any port will do. Make sure to change your User Name in Tools -> Settings, not everyone is named Leon!

The person not hosting should type in the host's IP address into the Guest box with the same port. Click connect and you should be connected!

And voila!

drdeath25

Nice Step by Step guide. Hopefully this will get other OPOnline users also using Hamachi. It seems Hamachi is the only 100% guaranteed way I KNOW i will connect to my opponent every time.

Hope some people use this guide. Hamachi is super easy to use, and helps alot with connecting to an opponent in OPOnline

Onslaught

The OP Online network we use is called "Overpower Online" and the password is 1234. Hamachi has a messaging system, so maybe if we had enough people we could start hanging around on Hamachi whenever you are looking for a game? That way you could see someone else was on the Overpower Online hamachi network and offer a game. It would be cool to be able to find random matches at any time throughout the day, as opposed to the current system of having to specifically set something up with one person and meet up online at a set time.

gameplan.exe

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Thanks Jack! I know you may have began to feel like tech support with my questions the other day...  :-[

I 'attempted' my first game of OP online yesterday and it I've got a few general questions.   :P
My cousin and I created IP addresses on hamachi.  We chose for him to join my network, but for some reason we could not get the game to start with me as host.  Once we changed the IP address in our settings, host, and guest connection options to match his IP it allowed us to play.

Anyone know why?  ???

While playing the second hand he attempted to play a card on himself.  (I think it was one of those +2 to defense cards.)  Anyway he did something wrong, got an error message, and it closed him out.  Since it was late we left it alone and called it a night but that leads to my second question. 

If for some reason you're disconnected while playing can you and the opponent reconnect and pick up the game at the same point with the same hand or do you have to start a new game?  ???

Also if anyone knows of a particular snag or strange card play problem or whatever to look out for I'd appreciate the heads up.  Thanks in advance. I think this topic should be stickied.  ;D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

The connection issues are probably a firewall issue. You should have received a pop-up asking whether or not to allow OpOnline.exe to communicate. If not, then you'll probably have to grant it access by going to the Control Panel. Which version of Windows are you using? It's very different between XP/Vista/7.

The game issues, I have no idea. I've never really used it except for a few test rounds with zippa_head and myself.

Nostalgic

I'm using windows XP.  One example of the card play issue that even after reading the instructions I haven't figured out is how to perform the "best laid plan"event/FK special's actions.  I know how to play the card, look at the deck, and reshuffle the deck, but not how to hold out the selected cards.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Onslaught

As far as the program crashing, it's very touchy so you have to minimize the amount of input errors you make (it will crash if you try to remove a card from an attack a lot). If you get disconnected, it is possible to resume the game, there is an option at the top. For Best Laid Plans, it's pretty messy but this is the best solution we could think of:

-Best Laid Plans is played
-Honor system, think of the 4 cards you want to put on top, but don't do anything at this time
-Continue the turn as normal
-When the turn ends, instead of someone hitting concede or both players passing, just announce that the turn is "over," move your mission cards, draw cards one at a time until you have four, then search your deck for the four cards you would have put on top with Best Laid Plans
-Start a new round of placing and venturing, then continue play as normal

This isn't ideal for lots of reasons, but it's close.

Jack

For XP, Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Add Port >
Name: OPO
Port number: What you decide
TCP/UDP: I'm guessing TCP.

rucker73

For Best Laid Plans what I usually do is to sort through your draw pile and discard the four cards you want to the dead pile.  (be sure to hit re-shuffle on your draw pile before closing)

Then view your dead pile and select the cards you just discarded and choose to put them into your draw pile, it will give you some options (add and shuffle, put on top of, put on bottom of) choose "put on top".  Repeat for your each of the four cards.
"Wade! into action!"

Nostalgic

Thanks for the help/advice guys.  Jack I'll see if that fixes it tonight.  I think I'll try Rucker's "solution" first for the "BLP" event as it sounds a littel easier. Thanks again guys.  :)

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on March 28, 2011, 02:59:34 PM
Thanks for the help/advice guys.  Jack I'll see if that fixes it tonight.  I think I'll try Rucker's "solution" first for the "BLP" event as it sounds a littel easier. Thanks again guys.  :)

Yes, it's the easier way of doing it 100%

-BBH

Day Tripper

Need a little help here, i've tried connecting to someone with and without hamachi, both of us trying to host, and still can't get it to work? any suggestions?

Jack

Have all of the above instructions been followed? Both players need to be connected to the same Hamachi network group and online. Make sure to use 5.x.y.z addresses when you're hosting/connecting.

Kyle

Quote from: Jack on May 06, 2011, 04:37:05 PM
Have all of the above instructions been followed? Both players need to be connected to the same Hamachi network group and online. Make sure to use 5.x.y.z addresses when you're hosting/connecting.

I'm pretty sure we both followed the instructions fairly carefully. We tried a million different things to get it to work. I've connected as a guest to 2 other hosts, so I know at the very least I can do that. But no matter what Day Tripper and I tried, we couldn't figure it out.