Tourney Results

Started by Oscorp, July 12, 2011, 07:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on July 13, 2011, 02:33:12 PM
Trick ot Treat? Is that thr name of the deck, a new special from the unreleased set? I've seen it mentioned a few times here.

It's the name of BBH's deck.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Bios on July 13, 2011, 02:58:02 PM
Dawn! I lost that one... Hope you guys can start another tournament soon,
we should turn it into a world event!

Well, I don't see any reason you can't join. We're doing a round robin, so everyone plays everyone else anyway. Talk to Breadmaster about it, it's his baby.

Trick ot Treat? Is that thr name of the deck, a new special from the unreleased set? I've seen it mentioned a few times here.

It's the nickname I gave my Max 6 team - X-babies, Morbius, Ghost Rider and Spider Woman.

RESULTS!

Me against Kyle

Because I don't want to reveal the specifics of Kyle's deck, I'll keep this one brief. Besides, I think some of you are eagerly awaiting the results of my game with Dr. Death! ;)
Kyle and I went 6 rounds, but I was able to keep a slight card advantage each time with careful absorption of hits and retaliation, which often left Kyle in a precarious position of either conceding or losing a character.
Round 5 and 6 left me with placed card advantage and the ability to venture 3 and then 3 again for the win, at which point he just couldn't match my firepower.
I took the game at the end of round 6.

And now - the anticipated match against Dr. Death.

My Trick or Treaters faced down a powerhouse squad, (not yet to be mentioned until Dr. D gives the okay)

Now, lots can be said here. There has certainly been no shortage of friction and bad blood. But the bottom line was that we played a good game. I am certainly not against playing more games against him.

Some details will be vague, as I don't want to give any info away about his team.

Round 1:
No events, 1 discard apiece – A 5 energy for me and an AP 6 for him.
We each placed a load of cards, Dr. D. bet 3 and I bet 1, conceding before the battle.

Round 2:
Some more placing, Dr. D bet 2, as did I and we were off!
Ghost Rider seems to be the primary target by my opponents, and Dr. Death didn't stray from that pattern, leading off with a teamwork. I stopped the TW with Fire and Brimstone, and absorbed the follow up, a multi 2.

I retaliated with an ally against his central character (my primary target) which he took, and followed up with Morbius' blood hunger against my secondary target. This he very wisely blocked with a multi 5.

He attacked again with another TW against the Rider. This time I took it. His follow up, a level 1(+1 from the TW) str power card, I blocked with a level 2 power card.

Time for a TW of my own. Strength TW against his central guy. Defended with a special, as is my follow up multi power 5.

A crunchy level 7 attack against Ghost Rider again... stopped with Angel's avoid from the battlesite.
Ghost Rider launches his teamwork against his central character. With two follow-ups placed, Dr. D realized too late that he didn't have enough to stop the assault. He blocked the TW but the two power cards wiped out his character.

Dr. D concedes and we move on.

Round 3
We draw, we place. Dr. D has a discard from his dead character. But his cards outweigh the strength of my cards quite easily. I bet one, he bets 3. I decide not to run away quite yet so I draw. Unfortunately for Dr. D the card I get changes things for my hand and I'm no longer outweighed. It's amazing what a single negate in your hand can accomplish for you.

I decide to gauge some of his defense with Wolverine's tracking senses from the site against his reserve character (now in the front of course). He takes the hit! I fish out my A-next and drop it, which he also takes, and finish off the string and the character with Savage combat from Morbius. Interesting, I thought for sure he could block some of that.

He retaliates with a level 4 fighting AA special against Ghost Rider. I take the hit, giving GR 3 icons towards spectrum. Dr. Death points out that Ghost should be dead, but I remind him of the inherent ability at which point he swears and continues the assault. The assault is relentless and I am forced to KO Ghost Rider in the end after he lands a 4th icon. I know this is potentially bad because at that point I have only seen one Ghost Rider special.

I attack my new primary target with a level 1 intellect. He takes the hit. He retaliates with a placed card I was fearing, until I drew that negate. I stop it and continue my offensive. Morbius tosses a multi 4 against the same character. He avoids it with a special.

Another TW! This time he starts picking on Morbius. I have Polaris in hand, and use Manipulate Magnetism to stop it cold.

Retaliate with Lil Phoenix. Hit. He tosses a level 2 str at Morbius. My last action is to drop Angel's Neuro-toxin onto him, not for the kill, but for massive venture.

Dr. Death concedes again, costing him 3 missions.

Round 4
LAMBS TO THE SLAUGHTER

Alas, I had 3 Ghost Rider Discards. Fortunately, Dr. Death was also hurting from his two lost characters. He placed a few cards, leaving 3 cards in hand. I placed nothing.

No venture, we just started. I was hoping he was without a negate as I played Colossus, Siberian Strength from the battlesite. Success! He dropped what was left of his hand, and being unable to concede I was able to KO another character.

Round 5
His character losses are adding up now. Dr. Death has 5 discards.

I place everything and bet 3. Can't be too greedy, not yet.

We start, I toss a small attack which he blocks, then concedes.

Round 6
Miracle Worker Alive. I heal my wounded character to full health

Dr. Death has another 5 discards, I have only one. We place, I bet 5 for the win, but Dr. Death concedes the game to me before we can fight it out.

So that was our battle. He could have easily had me, but I was able to capitalize on an early miscalculation he made, and take out his key character. From there, it was a downward spiral for him. Such is the nature of the game, and what makes it so much fun.

Thanks for the match Dr. Death. Good luck with your other brackets!

-BBH

Kal-el

I believe it's BBH's deck.

Also, I declined to join this touney as I need to play some online matches first as I am horribly out of practice, but I will definitely join the next one.

drdeath25

my play is off guys, im going to take a few days away from the tourney to train with a partner. Havent picked up the cards in months, and i'm losing games to lesser opponents then i will see in san diego next week. Be back this weekend to finish my games out.

Hot Rod

Quote from: drdeath25 on July 13, 2011, 03:54:04 PM
my play is off guys, im going to take a few days away from the tourney to train with a partner. Havent picked up the cards in months, and i'm losing games to lesser opponents then i will see in san diego next week. Be back this weekend to finish my games out.

Dude, just stick it out.  If you want anyones respect here you've gotta stick it out.  To be a good player you have to know how to win, and be able to take a loss.

breadmaster

yeah bios, you want in, just say the word.  i'll hook you up with the contact info of anyone you don't have

but be warned, since you're joining late (not really though, what, a day?), i'll stick you in the category of 'if a match doesn't take place, you take the loss and your opponenet is no contest'.  sound ok?

Onslaught

Can I join as a latecomer too?

Demacus

BBH, just want to say that your decks's reputation is inspiring me.  I may not have anything inventive built for the current tourney, but I just might surprise a few folks in the next one.  Impressive team I must say.

Ranerdar

Quote from: Hot Rod on July 13, 2011, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: drdeath25 on July 13, 2011, 03:54:04 PM

Dude, just stick it out.  If you want anyones respect here you've gotta stick it out.  To be a good player you have to know how to win, and be able to take a loss.

Well, now he didn't say he was quitting the tournament. Just that he wanted a few tune-up games before finishing out the rest of the 1st round matches.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

breadmaster

onslaught: sure, why not.  same rules as bios apply to you for matchups, ok?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on July 13, 2011, 05:53:54 PM
BBH, just want to say that your decks's reputation is inspiring me.  I may not have anything inventive built for the current tourney, but I just might surprise a few folks in the next one.  Impressive team I must say.

Thanks! It's one of my favourites. Let me know if you'd like the breakdown. I don't mind swapping recipes. :P

RESULTS:

Oscorp and I just finished our match.

X-babies, Ghost Rider, Morbius and Spider Woman (r)
VS.
Maverick, Team X, Dazzler, Sabretooth (3 stat) (r)

It was a short and bloody 3 round game. I think Oscorp would have had me if he didn't get a little too greedy in one round to get DoW out.

Round 1

I discarded a duplicate Lil Longshot, Oscorp pitched a duplicate level 7 power card

We placed to the brim, I placed everything I could save for a single activator. As did he. But neither of us conceded. I bet one, he bet two.

The attack began with a teamwork against Ghost Rider. I used my Thunderbird activator to avoid the attack and draw a card. Got a multi 2, giving me more fuel for a placed teamwork. He followed up the TW on Ghost Rider with a level 3 str, which I took.

Retaliating, I threw a TW of my own, which he stopped with Sabretooth's government operative, followed with the multi 2, which he took.

A-next against Ghost Rider, which I let hit, followed by Combat Armor from Maverick, promptly negated with Lil longshot.

I poked at Maverick with a level 1 intellect attack. He took the hit and conceded.

Round 2
Once again, I loaded up, but Oscorp was sparing with his placed cards. But when Oscorp ventured 4, I knew something was up. Probably had DoW. I drew my two - Activators. Figures. Looking at the numbers, I knew that if I could take this round, He'd be 6 in defeated and venturing for the loss next turn. I decided to take the risk and fight it out.

I attacked Maverick with a Bat out of Hell to make him pitch his placed 7 power card. Gone.

Sure enough, Devourer of Worlds was next. Good bye activators!

Morbius, Savage combat for the kill on Maverick. Blocked with an 8 fighting power card.

TW against Ghost Rider. Rescue operation to stop that. I took the follow up power card.

TW from Ghost Rider against Maverick for the kill. The hit connects, Maverick goes down. Follow up against Dazzler, also a hit. 2nd follow up, also a hit. Dazzler's not feeling good.

He plays Legacy regression to Team X. Here's where I have to think. Do I get rid that with my negate, or risk it hurting me later if his No specials event comes up. I opt to keep my negate just in case he has something heavy up his sleeve.

I fire a teamwork at Dazzler, taking her out, and the follow up against Team X. He has that Maverick avoid/draw. But, lucky for me, his draw is Dazzler's absorb sound which is immediately pitched.

He tosses Gamma Terror at me, glad I saved that negate.

I hit the DoW with a sunfire Activator, and Oscorp concedes the round with two dead characters and no more attacks.

Round 3

He's going 1 for the loss. So I keep everything in my hand, and just bet the one.

I toss Demon Chain at Sabretooth, blocked, followed by a multi-4. Hits.

He attacks me with a Teamwork. Damn, he has a lot of those! I take it, and the subsequent follow up. I hit him with Blood Hunger. It lands, but he has no energy icons in hand, so it doesn't cost him anything. He tosses Dangerous mind at me, which I stop with A level 6 strength power card. I attack the DoW with an activator.

His last ditch effort was to use Web headed wizard, but I was hanging on to a Morbius negate, which stopped that cold. Giving me venture and the game by a point.

As always, Oscorp, it's been a blast. Hopefully we can rematch in the finals!

Cheers!

-BBH

breadmaster

well, your host is off to an 0-2 start after going down to BBH

updated standings

breadmaster 0-2
oscorp 2-1
nate grey
big bad harv 4-0
kyle 0-1
demacus
ncannelora
dr. death 0-2

Oscorp

what BBH graciously leaves out of the recap is the fact that I moronically allowed blood hunger to hit me (5F) while I had Government Operative in hand.   Foolishly thinking that I could only play it through Sabretooth and not through Team X to defend Sabretooth.

I was bent over a barrel at that point but it may have dragged it out another hand or two.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

Bios

Quote from: breadmaster on July 13, 2011, 05:15:27 PM
yeah bios, you want in, just say the word.  i'll hook you up with the contact info of anyone you don't have

but be warned, since you're joining late (not really though, what, a day?), i'll stick you in the category of 'if a match doesn't take place, you take the loss and your opponenet is no contest'.  sound ok?

Fair enough, count me in!

8)

Oscorp

Belated recap.  Oscorp (Dazzler, Team X, Maverick, Sabretooth) vs Breadmaster   (Puppet Master, Dark Beast, Captain Mar-Vel, Dr.Strange)

I waited to long and I can't remember everything very clearly, sorry everyone.  Bread kept trying to drag the game to the power pack, conceding often but using his events and Cap to reset the missions.  In the long run I was able to have things go my way in the 5th or 6th hand and was able to venture 4 and win, putting me into a position to win the game.  I was able to venture for the win in the next hand and pull it out just before the power pack.

Sorry for the crappy re-cap.
I'm rubber and you're glue...