How to play Overpower Online

Started by mattkoz, May 31, 2012, 01:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattkoz

We need a thread that plainly details which programs you need to download from where and which steps to take in 1, 2, 3... order (e.g., I don't know what Hamachi is). It seems there are bits and pieces here and there, but I'm asking for it all in one place. It might already exist and I've missed it, but consider this a friendly request.

I think this should also be a stickied thread once we have the instructions set.

Jack

I've been wanting to put something up on the wiki about it, I get questions on Facebook every time I paste the link.

BasiliskFang

download
unzip
open opdeck.exe (xp compat in win 7)
build a deck
save deck
open opo
load deck
connect to opponent (the host needs open ports) - this might be where many details are needed
play
don't crash it
win/lose

mattkoz

Quote from: BasiliskFang on June 01, 2012, 10:34:49 PM
download
unzip
open opdeck.exe (xp compat in win 7)
build a deck
save deck
open opo
load deck
connect to opponent (the host needs open ports) - this might be where many details are needed
play
don't crash it
win/lose

Yes, it is.

Also, "don't crash it?" Are there particular things that need to be avoided?

This is why I've suggested this. I trust someone with the knowledge will get around to it eventually.

BasiliskFang

don't crash it refers to making sure you are not otherwise using the network if you are on wifi and using aspect cards in the way that will not crash them. you have to place them not play them.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on June 04, 2012, 03:26:04 PMusing aspect cards in the way that will not crash them. you have to place them not play them.

same with artifact cards
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

both? sure. idk. i haven't been able to play a full game before it crashes lol.

Jack

If anyone's willing to write a proper guide with screenshots I'll put it up on the wiki.

And here's a question, has anyone got it working in OS X with wine? I know OPDeck works on wine in Linux, not sure about OPOnline.

Jack

BasiliskFang

Those are the simple steps. I thought as of 2.5 we didn't need to mess with opening the system32 folder?
The hard part is getting the ports open ( if you are hosting) and setting the ip addresses to connect online via the app itself or hamachi.

Jack

I only dealt with the installation, the "how to connect" part will be the next section once I get time.

You need to extract the DLLs from the System32 Package if you don't have the VB6 runtimes previously installed.

Nate Grey

Great instructions Jack! Once again, kudos for all your work and dedication to the game.  :)