Asteroid M - Magneto

Started by gameplan.exe, May 21, 2011, 04:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Does anyone know of an obscure ruling affecting Magneto's 3-stat and the Inherent Ability of this Homebase? Obviously Dead Is Dead will be at play, there, but I thought there was something else...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Original Magneto can't be spectrum KO'ed if you have Asteroid M as your homebase. Dead is dead doesn't have anything to do with that unless you played an EK type special from a battlesite.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on May 21, 2011, 04:12:06 AM
Original Magneto can't be spectrum KO'ed if you have Asteroid M as your homebase. Dead is dead doesn't have anything to do with that unless you played an EK type special from a battlesite.

Right. All I meant when bringing up DiD, was to note the 2nd way to KO some one.

I thought I remembered there being something else to this (specifically the use of Original Magneto w/Asteroid M), but I guess not. Pretty cool effect, but probably not worth dropping his Fighting from a 5 to a 1, considering the Aspect  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Yes it is, and it's the only reason to play Asteroid M at all. Without 3 stat Magneto, it's just an awkward lineup. With 3 stat Mags, it's a tier 1.5 deck and arguably the strongest Homebase team in the game.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on May 21, 2011, 09:23:50 PM
Yes it is, and it's the only reason to play Asteroid M at all. Without 3 stat Magneto, it's just an awkward lineup. With 3 stat Mags, it's a tier 1.5 deck and arguably the strongest Homebase team in the game.

So, do you play without the Aspect card, then?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

bamf!

The reason for original Magneto is that he can only be Cumulative KO, and being 8E, it keeps him around long which is an advantage itself. The aspect only should only be consider as a bonus as it still needs to be played before it takes effect.

bamf!

gameplan.exe

Quote from: bamf! on May 22, 2011, 05:29:39 PM
The reason for original Magneto is that he can only be Cumulative KO, and being 8E, it keeps him around long which is an advantage itself. The aspect only should only be consider as a bonus as it still needs to be played before it takes effect.

bamf!

But, what I'm saying is that it seems that the Aspect is a complete waste if your primary concern is getting Magneto to the Power Pack. When looking at it on paper, in the Power Pack, I'd rather have Quicksilver with the Aspect in play, than Magneto with his max-8, despite his durability.

Maybe this is a better way to put it. I've I'm using Magneto as an 8-1-2, then I'm not going to be carrying any Fighting Power cards but Lv.1 - and how many Lv.1 Power cards would I really put in the deck in the first place - so the Aspect seems like it's no bonus at all. Would you ever want to use both the Aspect and 3-stat Magneto?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

i don't get how 3 stat magneto is 'the only reason to use asteroid m'...

i've played the deck with both, and there are pros and cons to each.  but what i really don't get, is why onslaught thinks 3 stat mags takes it to tier 1.5 from unusable, unless that's more of his hyperbole.  it's a nice stall gimmick, but i don't think it's ever won me a game on it's own...

bamf!

Magneto being the only 8 stat on the homebase, he would be a likely target, limiting the opponent's option to Cumulative KO mean that it will take more effort to KO. Which will bring you closer to the powerpack where the rest of the team can take full advantage of the aspect.

If they decide to take out the others, they could end up leaving an 8 stat character in the powerpack with card advantage of 9vs8 cards assuming no dupes, and at the same time need 20 points to KO. Venture wise you will be winning.

You should not base the fighting powercards on 3stat magneto alone when building the deck, it should be balanced with the team, with the assumption that any one of them can be KO'd.

The aspect is great, but remember it still needs to be drawn and played to take advantage of it.

bamf!

gameplan.exe

Quote from: bamf! on May 23, 2011, 03:28:46 PM
Magneto being the only 8 stat on the homebase, he would be a likely target, limiting the opponent's option to Cumulative KO mean that it will take more effort to KO. Which will bring you closer to the powerpack where the rest of the team can take full advantage of the aspect.

If they decide to take out the others, they could end up leaving an 8 stat character in the powerpack with card advantage of 9vs8 cards assuming no dupes, and at the same time need 20 points to KO. Venture wise you will be winning.

You should not base the fighting powercards on 3stat magneto alone when building the deck, it should be balanced with the team, with the assumption that any one of them can be KO'd.

The aspect is great, but remember it still needs to be drawn and played to take advantage of it.

bamf!

If I was playing against this deck and some one was using 3-stat magneto, with the first Fighting power card I saw, I'd stop targeting Magneto at all. He can be a max-8 in the Power Pack all he wants if there are still other unusable cards there.

In the Power Pack, I'd be way more worried about facing a max-7 who can draw to replace cards than a max-8 who can't use all of the cards in the Draw Pile.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

This is a great example about how there isn't any one sure way to build a deck that will always win nor any one way of defeating the deck that will definitely work.