Favorite Marvel Characters/Comics

Started by Palatinus, March 31, 2011, 03:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

I have a ton of favorite Marvel characters.  I love Spider-man especially Ultimate Spider-man.  I actually really like the Ultimate versions of most of the characters better than the regular universe.  I always avoided the Ultimate universe because it seemed like such a gimmick.  After I started reading it though I really enjoyed it.  I even liked the Fantastic Four comics and I really don't like the regular Fantastic Four.  I also really liked the short-lived MC2 universe.  Spider-girl is one of my favorite comics not just because the characters are fun, but because it was like back in the old days when time actually passed in the comics.  Remember when Peter was in high school and then after four years he graduated and then was in college and then got a job?  All like in real life when time passes.  Then for the next several decades he somehow stays the same age.  I hate that part of the comics.  I like the progress from the old ones.

Anyway, my other favorite Marvel characters are the X-Men, Hulk, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, and others.  I really like some of the older X-Men stories like Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, anything with Cable or Bishop, the Phoenix sagas.  I've always liked the Hulk even from the beginning.  I have reprints of the actual first comics where he was gray hulk.  I love Scarlet Spider and I am so annoyed that he is dead.  It's frustrating because everyone I like best dies and never comes back meanwhile everyone else can be killed and revived a hundred times.  I like Daredevil even though I think the character design is kind of lame, his stories are usually very compelling and deeper than a lot of others.  I especially like when Spider-Man and Daredevil team up.  They have some of the best interactions.

rucker73

couldn't agree with you more about Daredevil stories.  I often find his book to be one of the most well written and gritty.

I also follow Spidey, but I only read ASM, I've never gotten into the Ultimate universe (although it looks like Spidey's getting killed off in the Ultimate books) I read Deadpool's main book (I really wish it was based more in the main Marvel Universe) and whenever he actually has a series in print, I love's me some Moon Knight (and it KILLS me that there is no Moon Knight OP Character)
"Wade! into action!"

Palatinus

Yeah, I always enjoy Daredevil.  And Spider-Man has some of the most interesting characters although the old cycle of Peter's life gets a little old after awhile.  They do tend to reuse some plot devices over and over like the death of Aunt May, his on-again, off-again relationship with MJ, things like that.  I still really like the comics though.  I am not caught up on the Ultimate Universe so I don't know what's been going on with Spidey.  I recommend the Ultimate series though.  Especially the Ultimates.  You'd never expect Captain America to be bad-ass, but he totally is in the Ultimates.

The Dude

Favorite Marvel Characters who are in Overpower - Captain America, Black Cat, Spiderman, Venom, Hawkeye, Psylocke, Serpent Society

Favorite Characters who sadly never made it - Nebula, Quasar, Power Pack, Firestar, Thanos, D-Man and the rest of the West Coast Avengers

Palatinus

Quote from: The Dude on April 10, 2011, 04:17:24 PM
Favorite Marvel Characters who are in Overpower - Captain America, Black Cat, Spiderman, Venom, Hawkeye, Psylocke, Serpent Society

Favorite Characters who sadly never made it - Nebula, Quasar, Power Pack, Firestar, Thanos, D-Man and the rest of the West Coast Avengers

I always liked the Serpent Society as well.  Venom is one of my favorite characters.  At least the Eddie Brock Venom.  I don't like to think about what happened after that.  For some reason Hawkeye always seemed to make much more sense than the DC archers.  Especially in the Ultimate universe.  The characters you mentioned that aren't in Overpower are ones I don't know except Thanos and I know of the West Coast Avengers, but not about them.

The Dude

I'll say this of the West Coast Avengers, if you've never read it find the first 30 issues or so, because they are among the best books Marvel ever published. I was always a Hawkeye fan but after WCA he was one of my all-time favorite heroes. The premise is after years (decades in real life) of agitating Cap on how he could be a better team leader Hawkeye is finally given a chance to lead an Avengers team but he it's franchise on the west coast (L.A.) and he has to recruit his own members. No a-listers for him. In the limited series he ends up with his wife Mockingbird - a shield agent with no superpowers; Tigra, a chick with tiger-like powers who had been an Avenger for four issues of the main series before quitting the team because she was terrified of the kind of threats they faced after meeting Ghost Rider and Molecule Man, she was working as P.I. in the L.A.-San Francisco area; Wonder Man, who is indestructable and could be potentially be Thor-level hero except he died on his first mission in Avengers #8 stayed dead for over 150 issues and when ressurected had a real fear of dying again so that he returned after about two dozen issues service to the main team moved to Hollywood to be a stuntman; and Jim Rhodes, who at the time is serving his very first stint as the fake Iron Man and trying to measure up. When the main series ended Rhodes was out and Stark was back in, but litterally had just reassumed the armor for all of 1 issue in his main book after his most lengthy bout of alcoholism. So the whole early issues of the book is this group of cast-off super heroes coming together to prove themselves worthy of being Avengers and Hawkeye proving himself worthy as a team leader after years of shooting off his mouth. It's fantastically written and a lot of great action scenes too as they face some A-list Avengers baddies like Ultron. Grim Reaper, Graviton and their own arch-enemy Master Pandomonium.

Sadly none of this is in trade but individual issues can be found not too expensively and its well, well worth it. Just stay away for anything past issue 45 when Steve Englehart leaves the title because it goes downhill pretty fast from there

(and needless to say I've made homemades on all of these guy with a nice WCA Compound Homebase too)

Palatinus

So I guess I'll bite on the WCA comics.  I should have them soon.  I also thought of another comic series I liked which is the Runaways.  I really liked the way it started off.  Up until Civil War anyway.  I'm not sure what's going on now, but when they started to because just another comic in the larger story arc I found them much less interesting.

Nostalgic

Hulk.
Wolverine.
Venom. (Eddie Brock)

fin
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 11, 2011, 06:40:57 PM
Hulk.
Wolverine.
Venom. (Eddie Brock)

fin

In a 3-way battle for the Infinity Gauntlet!

gameplan.exe

Gambit's my favorite character.
X-men and Uncanny X-men were my favorite books. (haven't yet, but I want to start reading/collecting again, including Legacy).
AoA is my favorite arch.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on April 12, 2011, 01:20:55 PM
Gambit's my favorite character.
X-men and Uncanny X-men were my favorite books. (haven't yet, but I want to start reading/collecting again, including Legacy).
AoA is my favorite arch.

I like gambit as well and his is one of my wife's favorite characters.  I really liked him in Ultimate X-Men as well as the original X-Men cartoon and even the X-Men:  Evolution cartoon.  One of my favorite lines and scenes in the old X-Men cartoon is when they are all talking to Bishop and he can't remember what he's supposed to do and then Gambit walks in and says "Everyone can relax, Gambit has arrived."  He was really awesome.  And then of course Bishop goes to kill over a little assassination/shape-shifting misunderstanding.

Nate Grey

Nate Grey (X-Man)....no surprise there.  ;)

Other favorite characters include:

AOA Blink
AOA Sabretooth
Maverick
Mr. Sinister
Jean Grey (Phoenix)
Wolverine

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nate Grey on April 16, 2011, 03:04:06 AM
Nate Grey (X-Man)....no surprise there.  ;)

Other favorite characters include:

AOA Blink
AOA Sabretooth
Maverick
Mr. Sinister
Jean Grey (Phoenix)
Wolverine

I recently read the Dark Phoenix Saga TPB. It made me very curious about Jean's Phoenix. I really want to go back and get the X-Men Essentials that build up to that point. When I get some cash handy, i'll have to do it.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Kyle

For me, Deadpool is #1. Up until recently he wasn't all that popular, which meant keeping up with his stuff was easy. Now, forget about it. And so much of it is pretty crappy. But I just can't stop myself... I supported the character since his first mini series, so I'm pretty much compelled to buy it all now. Even the "Deadpool" solo title is hurting (Daniel Way couldn't write a good story if it kicked him in the nuts).

I also am really into the Ultimate world. USM is (of course) great. Millar's writing on the Ultimates is good, I try and keep up with it as well. I loved the Ultimate Mystery/Enemy/Doom storyline. I like it that the Ultimate universe can take more "risks" than 616.

Other than that, I keep up with the Avengers lines, as well as the "major events". Fear Itself looks good, it's nice to see someone other than Millar and Bendis getting a chance to write a major story. Can't say I care for the Asgardian stuff, but if it's well written, I can read it.

As far as non-Marvel, I really like Transmetropolitan. Hilarious!! When I find a bit of extra cash, I try and pick up something by Alan Moore that I haven't read yet, so there's that as well.

Dark_Lord_Tarkas

(I used to be Karmanal of Zert here.)