Just full of queries

Started by Demacus, September 12, 2008, 07:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demacus

Does anyone know if there is an OCTGN adaptation of OP?  I've played M:TG and VS system and even Warcraft CCGs on OCTGN and would LOVE for an OP edition.  Unfortunatly, I don't know jack squat about programing or I would make one myself. 

justa

not sure what all the letters mean, but i would love to see a computer playable version of OP!  Norman's OPDeck program was a great start, but never progressed into playing the actual game.  just imagine, a programmable data base to add homemades, an AI that could play a decent game (depending on the team), .... i wish.

CCTelander

Quote from: justa on May 03, 2009, 08:49:29 PM
not sure what all the letters mean, but i would love to see a computer playable version of OP!  Norman's OPDeck program was a great start, but never progressed into playing the actual game. 

Ther actually is a program to play OP online, based on Norman's OP Deck proggie. It's kind of quirky and has a few defects, but it does work. For example, there are a couple of Battlesites that you just can't use because it doesn't allow you to select Beast Specials for the Locations that Dark Beast appears on. If all one wanted was to be able to play OP in the form that it as in when the ax fell, it's not too bad. I don't have a link to the DL handy, but there was one posted here in anopther thread. Wouldn't be too difficult to find it.

Quote from: justa on May 03, 2009, 08:49:29 PM
just imagine, a programmable data base to add homemades, an AI that could play a decent game (depending on the team), .... i wish.

Now this would be a dream come true!

OP LIVES!

Chris

If you're into Homemade OverPower Cards, be sure to check out this site for TONS of fun new cards and ideas!

http://justabgkid.com/emporium/homemadeemporiumhome.html

Jack

CCTelander

Quote from: Jack on May 04, 2009, 11:48:26 PM
I have OPO v2.5.3:

http://www.overpower.ca/OverPowerOnline_v2.5.3.exe

I think it's the latest one.

Yeah, that's the version I have t. It has a few bugs, but overall it's a great program!

OP LIVES!

Chris

If you're into Homemade OverPower Cards, be sure to check out this site for TONS of fun new cards and ideas!

Bios

CCTelander,
If you have the program, why don't you join our group sometime? We have only 4 people who uses to play online and that sucks...

It would be great if someonelse could join us.

Bios

CCTelander

Quote from: Bios on May 06, 2009, 12:39:11 PM
CCTelander,
If you have the program, why don't you join our group sometime? We have only 4 people who uses to play online and that sucks...

It would be great if someonelse could join us.

Bios

I'd be happy to. How do I go about doing it?

Just fair warning though. One of the reasons I haven't asked about it already is that I'm quite literally swamped with stuff that I have to do already. Just maintaining and updating the web site has turned out to be a full-time job all by itself. On top of that I have my regular work, wife, kids and grandchildren, eBay, and continuing to design and make more Homemade OP Cards.

Most of the OP we manage to play around here nowadays winds up being play testing for the Homemade Cards and new strategies. Plus, we've gotten so used to using the homemades and our own house rules (which are a little different than the "official" rules that existed at the time of OP's demise) that I may not ever remember the "official" rules and rulings on individual cards. That could cause some conflict depending on how people deal with those situations.

I do have 2 decks made in OP Deck, but at least one of them is based upon the rules BEFORE the errata on Vertigo, and would likely ellicit cries of "CHEESE!" from some!  ;) The other is a Batman and Robin deck that can be hit or miss since it's a heavy Teamwork deck.

I'd be interested when I can carve out some time, as long as the atmosphere and attitudes of the people concerned were fairly easy-going.

OP LIVES!

Chris

CCTelander

Bios:
We use MSN to find each other online. You can ad me (bios37@hotmail.com) or Matt (rucker_73@hotmail.com) if you want.

I suppose this means I'll have to download Windows Messenger? As much as I hate even the idea, I guess I'll have to do it. It runs a lot like AOL Instant Messenger, correct?

Bios:
Not much different here. I also have my regular work (last week till yesterday I got out of the job by 10:00 pm everyday, cause we're updating budgets). I just don't have grandchildren, since my daughter is only 5 months!

My youngest son will be 25 this coming Jan. I've got 5 grandchildren, and they tend to keep me busy when they're around!

Bios:
And I am a homemade addict myself, with 2 thousand cards already made.

Wow, that's a LOT of homemades! From the ones I've seen, yours definitely are among the best that have been online. Great work!

Bios:
But like I heard sometime, who is interested finds a way, who isn't finds an excuse!

Is that a shot across the bow, Bios?  ;)

But seriously, it's really just a matter of carving out some time once I'm sure what I need to do to find you guys.

To that I would add 1 additional caveat:

Of the few people around here that still actually play OP, I'm literally the only one that has any interest in playing "old school" OP!

Now, I don't mean this to sound snobbish or like a commercial for our homemades, but it IS the homemade cards that are at the root of the other guys feeling that way.

The plan we're currently working on has literally been in development for about a decade. "Real life" has interfered a few times causing delays, but even during those times there was some planning and thinking about it going on. There have been some mistakes, naturally, but because of those learning experiences, and the long time frame, the finished product has turned out to be much better than it otherwise might have. The result, so far, really has exceeded any expectations I had at the beginning.

Our strategy-based approach really does add a depth and richness to the game that I'd always hoped for, but wasn't even sure was possible. And the best part is that it does it without fundamentally changing OP in any significant way. It's still OP, just OP at its best, at least in my opinion and those of the people who have actually tried it.

We still get together almost every week to play OP. And every week, around here, you'll hear comments to the effect of "This is just SO MUCH MORE FUN than it ever was in the past!" Keep in mind that every one of us have been hard core OP fanatics since the game was initially released. We LOVED OP back in the day, and still continued to play it "old school" for years while we were developing our system. So it isn't that "old school" OP isn't fun, it's really just that our strategy-based system adds so much to it.

One of my OP Buds made this observation: "It's like the cards before had all been printed in grayscale, and then, suddenly you had all these cards printed out in full, vibrant color! Why would you want to go back to black & white?" Again, this isn't meant in any way to denegrate "old school" OP. We've always LOVED OP, and still do. It's just that there's so much more to love, at least for us, now.

Anyway, *I'm* certainly interested in playing "old school" online. For the above reasons, nobody else here is, at least for the moment. I may be able to work on them though!

Bios:
By 2005 till last year it was not different here. We had a group of 5-6 people who printed my homemade cards and used to play with them. I was very concerned about card design and my cards were based in a statisc model that really made the difference. Some of the concepts were close to yours (like only making cards that worths).
You would be surprised by seeing one of the printed cards. They were printed in a special paper and cut with a knife in the same shape of the regular cards. They really look as an official product! Just there was no profit involved, we made them for fun.

You know, early on we had actually entertained the idea of printing ours out on actual card stock. There ARE corner cutters that you can buy that allow you to get perfect rounded corners. But after looking into it we decided that it would just be way too cost-prohibitive.

I'm not sure if you meant the comment about "profit" to imply that our homemades are a "for profit" enterprise, but I definitely want to disillusion any thoughts in that direction. We make the homemades primarily to keep OP alive, fresh and exciting for us. If they help to do the same for anyone else, that's a bonus we're just as glad as could be to accept!

When we first started featuring them on my listings it literally was the only way we had available to share them with anyone. None of us were in any position to be able to afford real web hosting, and there were WAY to many of them to fit on any free hosting, given the storage and bandwidth restrictions. I actually tried to put some up on a free account quite a few years ago. It exceeded bandwidth limits so frequently that it was pointless.

The only reasons I still even sell OP are that it enables me to pay for the web site, helps us to acquire any cards that we need (we run out of all kinds of stuff frequently!), and it keeps me in touch with OP players all over the world. I've actually got a pretty extensive e-mail list of pepole that I keep in  touch with, every one of them an OP Fan!

Bios:
But at some point last year, people lost interest again. We couldn't manage to ad new players to the group, and suddently someone quit showing up. Not much later, someonelse also quit and them the entire group was dissembled.

We haven't even tried to add any new players for at least a few years. Most of us have some pretty stiff demands on our time, and when we have a spare moment, we're usually working on homemades. I wish I could spend a lot more time hanging out at our local shops to develop some relationships with potential new players. It would be GREAT!

Like your situation, some of our old OP Buds have fallen away over the years, but there are still a few of us carrying on, and I don't doubt that some of our old buds will eventually make it back, at least occasionally.

Bios:
Anyway as you can see in this forum, the interest in OP lately is too low. That's why I push so hard sometimes just to find someonelse who still wants to play eventually.

I don't think interest is as low as you seem to think it is. One thing I always try to keep in mind is the fact that a LOT of the people that used to play frequently have had changes in their lives like getting married, having kids, etc. They just don't have the kind of time available that they used to. Plus, judging from eBay sales (including everyone that sells OP, not just myself), there IS still a fairly strong interest. It may just be that nobody has taken the initiative, or been able to organize it sufficiently to be seen. Then again, I could be totally wrong!

Bios:
I used to believe that my homemades could bring a new breath to the game and it really did for sometime, but I guess there is no much future for a TCG with no comercial support.

You know, I think everyone who makes homemade OP cards probably harbors a secret fantasy that their effort will somehow revitalize the game! Who knows what could happen? But it isn't really one of our goals, since it seems pretty unlikely. As long as our homemades keep the game fun, for us and anyone else who may be interested, I'll consider it an unqualified success! As far as the future for OP goes, it's lookin' pretty bright around here!

Bios:
Same thing is happening with the Heroclix group. The company who ows the game announced that it will not be supported anymore. In a matter of weeks, dozens of players've quit.

Yeah, the demise of HeroClix is kind of sad. It lost a LOT of players around here after NAAT, since people got kind of tired of turtling becoming the dominant strategy. I haven't played very actively since the release of Mutant Mayhem. But it WAS a GREAT game, and hey, we can still play it any time we want. Around here though, OP is KING!

Bios:
I don't think anyone would complain if u play some rules wrong or in a different way. After all this is a game, not a war. It really doesn't matter who wins.
And its just a matter of playing 2 or 3 games to have all the rules freshened in your mind!

I don't have a nice website like yours, but if u r curious to see some of my cards, here is a link:

http://opchecklist.blogspot.com/2008/05/marvel-overpower.html

That's cool then. I really think I'll need some reminders re the "official" rules! We use the basic rules, of course, but we've dumped much of the errata as unnecessary, since a lot of it was aimed at nerfing successful strategies and tactics. We've also streamlined some of the quirky rulings on individual cards and such, just to keep things consistent and to deal with a few paradoxes that have shown up from time to time. Our House Rules aren't really all THAT different from the "official" rules, with those few exceptions. The main thing I'm sure to have forgotten would be rulings on individual cards, since there were a LOT of those, and they didn't always make a lot of sense to us around here.

I looked over the cards on your blog. As I've said before, they're definitely among the best looking homemades that I've seen online. Great work!

Bios:
Hope you can keep your motivation in making your cards, you are doing a great job!

No fear there! I'll be making the crazy things until I'm old and grey! (Or older and greyer!) And thanks!

OP LIVES!

Chris
OP LIVES!

Chris

Bios

Sorry for the long hiatus, I'll try to use the forum more often!

CCTelander

Quote from: Bios on February 21, 2010, 05:54:51 PM
Sorry for the long hiatus, I'll try to use the forum more often!

Glad to see you back!

OP LIVES!

Chris

rucker73

Back as well.  And itching to play again Bios!!
"Wade! into action!"