Club after hours...(BE/EI Specials)

Started by Nostalgic, August 18, 2010, 04:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

Hope my titles aren't annoying just trying to insert some humor.  So here's the question: Are attacks made after a player concedes restricted by the conditions of the battle?  So if someone plays a AV special on wolverine, can he still use his BE special to attack if the opponent concedes?  What if an event was in play like Annihilation Affair Hostage Crisis Event:"Choose 1 front line hero that cannont play any cards or be attacked this battle." Could a character use a BE or EI special after the battle has 'ended' to attack if the hero was selected as the hostage. In the same senario could they attack the opponent's hero that was selected as the hostage?  I guess there are any number of other situations were an opponent could offensively or defensively restrict how they could be attacked but once the battle is conceded, by the opponent, do those restrictions still apply.  What if I was using Human Torch and played his AS nova burst special?  If the opponent then conceded could I play his EI?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Yes, any restrictions imposed during the battle still apply.

-BBH

Nostalgic

Why?

I'm just curious was that a ruling somewhere?  If conceding means the battle is over, why do restrictions during the battle still apply?  I could guess the probable answer however I'm interested in the reasoning behind it.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

bamf!

Battles in OP are a series of offensive and defensive actions, alternating between players.

The act of conceding is performed on your turn (offense), the opponent can respond by playing BE/EI specials (defense).
Conceding does not mean a battle is over until after the opponent completes their defensive turn (by playing the above specials, or nothing at all).

bamf!

Nostalgic

That doesn't cover it.  First of all BE and EI specials are offensive only.  The one 'related' special that can be played defensively to a player conceding is the BL special which says, "Play we opponent concedes. Opponent may not concede."  Even with these specials some are offensive and some defensive.  The relavent meta rule to the BL special is below.

70 Specials which prevent an opponent from conceding are played defensively in response to the player conceding. After the Special has been played, it is that players turn (just as it is after any other defensive actions). In other words, the sequence of events is (1) Player X concedes, (2) Player Y plays a Special preventing him from conceding, (3) Player Y then takes their normal turn (4) play proceeds as normal, except that Player X cannot concede as long as the Special preventing it is in play.

With the BL special it is oviously an offensive or defensive action that prevents the battle itself from ending through concession therefore all the conditions of the battle still apply. In the case of the BE/EI specials the battle ends but the character on the special is allowed to make 1 attack.  Whether that extra attack is: (A) an 'extension' of the battle and all of the conditions involved, or (B) a separate 'post battle' action within a special vaccum, is the question.  At the very least what's the reasoning for A or B.

bamf!

It is true that BE and EI specials are classified as offensive. However, they are played as a response your action (conceding).

The meta #70 (see above) illustrates this clearly, the BE / EI specials are played during (2), but instead of preventing, it is just a response to (1) the act of conceding.

meta #142 further confirms this:
The phrase "during battle" refers to the time after the Venture Phase has been completed and before the time when the Venture winner is determined.

Your example of Human Torch being under the effects of 'Nova Burst', and playing his EI special after the opponent concedes, would not have been possible.
When the battle is over, no further actions can be played, unless a special allows otherwise, which is true for BE/EI/BL etc., but that would mean that the battle is being extended (by one additional turn in this case). However, as an extension of the battle, everything remains as is (the conceding action is 'unsuccessful' for one turn in this case, and would become 'successful' after the resolution of the action). This brings us back a full circle since the effects of 'Nova Burst' is active, and the EI special would be unplayable, which mean the battle wasn't extended, and the opponent's conceding efforts were a success.

bamf!

Nostalgic

Quote from: bamf! on August 19, 2010, 03:52:25 PM
meta #142 further confirms this:
The phrase "during battle" refers to the time after the Venture Phase has been completed and before the time when the Venture winner is determined.

That pretty much sums it up.  Just what I was looking for, thanks.