Can anyone suggest a good book series?

Started by Palatinus, June 08, 2011, 10:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

I am out of good series to read.  I was reading The Sword of Truth series, but that ended.  I am into the Dresden files, but I am all caught up on every book, short story, novella, and TV series.  I got sick of the Wheel of Time.  I have read the Greywalker series and I have started the most recent book, but that series is only so-so.  I have been reading The Hollows series and I am interested in it, but I don't find it all that good.  I love the Lord of the Rings, but you can only read them so many times in a given period of time.  I was reading the Song of Ice and Fire back when it first came out, but then there was such a long hiatus that I never got back to reading it because I had forgotten so much stuff.  I am watching Game of Thrones to get refreshed though.

In any event, if anyone could suggest a good series I would be most appreciative.

CoS

I just finished the 20 book series of Captian Jack Aubrey & Dr. Steven Maturin by Patrick O'Brian. Well worth the 3-4 months it took to work though them. VERY worthwhile reading.

gameplan.exe

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Kal-el

At what point did you get sick of Wheel of Time? It does get better eventually. If you quit at book six it's probably not worth it, but if you made it to nine or ten then it's worth pushing through to the good stuff. Books 12 and 13 were great.

Definitely get back into Ice and Fire. If you don't have reading time, see if your library has the audiobooks. Book five comes out in April.

Palatinus

Quote from: CoS on June 09, 2011, 01:27:48 AM
I just finished the 20 book series of Captian Jack Aubrey & Dr. Steven Maturin by Patrick O'Brian. Well worth the 3-4 months it took to work though them. VERY worthwhile reading.

Not sure about this series.  I'm not really one for historical fiction, but I will look into it and maybe pick up the first book.

Quote from: ncannelora on June 09, 2011, 01:06:08 PM
The Chronic -
WHAT?!
- cles Of Narnia
8)

I loved this series as a kid and I just re-read the whole thing like a year ago.  I have been enjoying the movies as well.  We're about to get taken to a dreamworld of magic!

Quote from: Kal-el on June 09, 2011, 01:07:58 PM
At what point did you get sick of Wheel of Time? It does get better eventually. If you quit at book six it's probably not worth it, but if you made it to nine or ten then it's worth pushing through to the good stuff. Books 12 and 13 were great.

Definitely get back into Ice and Fire. If you don't have reading time, see if your library has the audiobooks. Book five comes out in April.

I read through the Wheel of Time to book 10.  I couldn't even follow what was going on anymore and when I tried reading book 11 I realized I was so out of touch with who all the minor characters were that I didn't even care any more what happened.  If I do get back into this series I'm going to either have to re-read all the books or get a serious refresher course.  I'm not sure I'm willing to do that though.

The Song of Ice and Fire is really good.  I have all the books and I have read the first three, just not the fourth.  I liked it a lot when I was reading it, but I started it ten years ago, so I just need to re-read the first three.  As much as I like the series, the books have been taking too long to come out and that is why I still feel like I am lacking a good series to read.

Kyle

I've always been a fan of the Dragonlance Series, specifically the main books by Hickman & Weis. The Chronicles trilogy and Legends trilogy are classics. War of Souls is good too, not as good as the older ones, but entertaining enough.

For general fiction, I read Dan Brown and Chuck Palahniuk. They aren't series writers, but both are excellent. Palahniuk especially, if you're into real twisted stuff.

Ranerdar

I'm a fan of the books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Particularly the Agent Pendergast novels.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

drdeath25

the Dexter book series is great if you are dark-minded.

Kal-el

Quote from: Palatinus on June 09, 2011, 02:02:17 PM
I read through the Wheel of Time to book 10.  I couldn't even follow what was going on anymore and when I tried reading book 11 I realized I was so out of touch with who all the minor characters were that I didn't even care any more what happened.  If I do get back into this series I'm going to either have to re-read all the books or get a serious refresher course.  I'm not sure I'm willing to do that though.

The Song of Ice and Fire is really good.  I have all the books and I have read the first three, just not the fourth.  I liked it a lot when I was reading it, but I started it ten years ago, so I just need to re-read the first three.  As much as I like the series, the books have been taking too long to come out and that is why I still feel like I am lacking a good series to read.

Crossroads of Twilight (WoT 10) was painful, and Knife of Dreams wasn't much better, but Gathering Storm really turned it around. If you could find a good refresher online (maybe try dragonmount.com) I'd recommend pushing through 11.

I'd recommend the same for SoIaF. If you can find a summary online then I would push on with 4, but that's a lot of rereading to do.

You could get Brandon Sanderson a try. I'm not a huge fan of his dialogue, but the stories are fun and his magic systems are fun and well detailed. The Mistborn series (three books) was fun and Way of Kings 1 was enjoyable too (I haven't ready Warbreaker or Elantris yet).

Hot Rod

I totally +2 the SoIaF.  I just plowed all the audio books in a row about a month ago.  It was completely worth it just to hear Roy Dotrice voice Dolorous Edd.  Though, the 4th book wasn't as good without his voice acting. (The guy who voiced it was "meh," so I was tempted to actually read that one.)

Kal-el

Quote from: Hot Rod on June 12, 2011, 02:28:51 AM
I totally +2 the SoIaF.  I just plowed all the audio books in a row about a month ago.  It was completely worth it just to hear Roy Dotrice voice Dolorous Edd.  Though, the 4th book wasn't as good without his voice acting. (The guy who voiced it was "meh," so I was tempted to actually read that one.)

Thankfully, Roy will be back reading for the fifth book. Those audiobooks are fantastic.

Hot Rod

Quote from: Kal-el on June 12, 2011, 11:31:32 AM
Thankfully, Roy will be back reading for the fifth book. Those audiobooks are fantastic.

Kickass!

Yeah, they're fantastic.  My eyes hurt way too much after reading fine print for hours.  Also having free hands/eyes to do other things is pretty sweet.

gameplan.exe

by the way, some consider them a little juvenile, but I really enjoyed THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy. It was a very quick read, well written, and a good story.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series was excellent. There is a disclaimer before the final chapter that says "If you are happy with that ending, stop reading here." Aside from the chapter that came after that disclaimer, that series was awesome, plus I hear it's in the works for a 2013 film.

Also reading Eragon. The 4th book is due out soon. It's an interesting read, but it's pretty clear where he drew his inspirations... ::cough, cough::TOLKIEN::cough,cough::

Brian Jaques has an intersting series which starts with Redwall. I haven't read them all as there are more then 16 books, but it's not one continuous story.

Nate Grey

Quote from: Kyle on June 09, 2011, 02:14:27 PM
I've always been a fan of the Dragonlance Series, specifically the main books by Hickman & Weis. The Chronicles trilogy and Legends trilogy are classics. War of Souls is good too, not as good as the older ones, but entertaining enough.

For general fiction, I read Dan Brown and Chuck Palahniuk. They aren't series writers, but both are excellent. Palahniuk especially, if you're into real twisted stuff.

A fellow Dragonlance reader right here! Chronicles and Legends trilogy are my all time favorite fantasy novels. My interest waned after all that 5th Age nonsense but War of Souls and The Dark Disciple trilogies drew me back in. Currently finishing up Dragons of an Hourglass Mage.