Can anyone suggest a good book series?

Started by Palatinus, June 08, 2011, 10:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

If you're into Young Adult Novels - I would recommend either the Ranger's Apprentice Series by Flannagan or the Homelanders Series by Klaven, both really well done.  But if you want something deeper I reccomend the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker - Excellent excellent series.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

CoS

Finished up Dance of Dragons (Song of Fire & Ice). I hear the HBO series A game of Thrones was a goo adaptation too.

Palatinus

Quote from: CoS on February 21, 2012, 03:20:17 PM
Finished up Dance of Dragons (Song of Fire & Ice). I hear the HBO series A game of Thrones was a goo adaptation too.

I read the first three books around the time the third one came out and have not read any more since, but the series is really excellent.  I have been trying to get everyone I know to watch it.  I highly recommend it especially if you liked the books.

Demacus

New series with a movie due out next month.  The Hunger Games (Catching Fire and The Mockingjay would be books 2 and 3.) 

I flew through all 3 books in that series in just about 8 days.  Not a difficult read in the slightest, but fascinating right from the beginning.  A little slow at the start of the third book, but by that point you are extremely invested in the characters and it picks up again pretty quickly and carries that momentum through to the end.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on February 24, 2012, 05:04:18 PM
New series with a movie due out next month.  The Hunger Games (Catching Fire and The Mockingjay would be books 2 and 3.) 

I flew through all 3 books in that series in just about 8 days.  Not a difficult read in the slightest, but fascinating right from the beginning.  A little slow at the start of the third book, but by that point you are extremely invested in the characters and it picks up again pretty quickly and carries that momentum through to the end.

I agree. I was hesitant because I know they're "young adult" novels, but they really didn't resemble that sort of pulp. In fact, if I had to compare them to another author, I'd say they're closest to Ray Bradbury in their concept and character development (although, these are quite a bit more violent than any Bradbury I can remember reading, and I've read TONS!)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Very true.  Suzanne Collins does an excellent job of character development and story telling, without being "Twilight" horse-shit fiction.

Jesse

Quote from: Demacus on February 24, 2012, 06:13:24 PM
Very true.  Suzanne Collins does an excellent job of character development and story telling, without being "Twilight" horse-shit fiction.

I agree. My wife actually brought the first book home this week, I thought "here we go" but I picked it up to look through and ended up reading the darn thing cover to cover - very easy read with good content.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster