Card Sleeves

Started by gameplan.exe, September 01, 2011, 03:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I'd like to get some more card sleeves. I bought a couple packs of UltraPro sleeves but I was kind of disappointed. The backs were a little transparent, so if you looked closely, you could see the difference between Marvel, DC, and Image cards.

Then, I recently heard that Dragon Shield makes pretty good sleeves. So, I looked into it and I was a little surprised to see that they were, generally, panned by players as often being mis-cut, or curved, or otherwise just inconsistent and unreliable.

Then, I found some reviews of KMC sleeves. These seemed to get the best reviews of any I can find. Apparently, they're reliable, consistent, and durable (and always satisfactorily opaque on the backs).

So, I'm looking for a little feedback from fellow OP players. Which sleeves do you guys use? Which seem better/worse? Which are best for the cost? Does anyone have extras they want to donate to me?  ;D j/k
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

I'm using 2 sizes of Dragon Shield, I figure as long as they are well mixed before putting in the cards, it's not as noticeable. I think they were about $11/box when I got my first ones and $6/box for the other 5 I bought.

Demacus

I have sleeves from years and years ago that I still use routinely (some of them still have the clay dust on the outside from hours of gaming in the high school art room)  I've only ever disposed of sleeves that have actually torn, so I'm sitting on quite a few.  I have several colors, and I THINK most of the are Ultra-Pro from WAY back, but I'm not even sure anymore.  I know I have 1 set of sleeves that the back is completely opaque, but they have a female ninja on them, over a black background, and they are kind of falling apart, even though they are "newer" then most of the rest.  As I can recall, Ultra-Pro circa 1995-97 was pretty good with the quality and opaqueness, but around 97-98, they started using a LOT less of whatever makes up the back of the sleeve.

I also have other CCG's that I no longer care to own, if anyone is interested in, or knows someone who's interested in Tomb Raider CCG, Young Jedi, Ani-mayhem, Dragonball Z, ReCharge, Magi-Nation, please let me know.

gameplan.exe

thanks for the quick feedback. The decline in quality of the UltraPro sleeves seems about the same thing I'm reading everywhere. I'm leaning toward getting some of the KMC sleeves, since I've heard nothing negative about them at all, so far. Seems like they aren't too expensive on ebaY.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Easy rule of thumb:

Use Dragonshield for white, pink, or any other light color (unfortunately they don't offer yellow, orange, and some other brighter colors).

Use KMC for everything else.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on September 01, 2011, 07:11:59 PM
Easy rule of thumb:

Use Dragonshield for white, pink, or any other light color (unfortunately they don't offer yellow, orange, and some other brighter colors).

Use KMC for everything else.

thanks! I saw your post on the Canada results thread, you mentioned that Dragonshield can be inconsistent between packs? is that to say that if I buy a pack of 100, I should expect them to all be the same size, though? because that'd be fine with me, I think.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

I think all sleeves can be inconsistent between packs, but yea if you buy KMC in a pack of 80 or Dragonshield in a pack of 100 then you're good to go. It only becomes a problem when you buy two different packs of 50 and run the risk of them being from different manufacturing runs.

Nate Grey

I've been using Dragon Shield (as per Jack's recommendation) and I've been very happy with them. I got the blue, green, and red sleeves.

gameplan.exe

I bought a box of Dragon Shield (Blue & Gold). I've been using them for a few weeks, now and I'm generally happy with them. Mine seem kind of... curved... is that normal for these? The UltraPro sleeves I've seen, seem to lay flat (without a card in them), whereas the Dragon Shield sleeves I just got have their corners curved up... normal? problem?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

Seems common, mine seem to have a natural bend to them (even in the stack of 600).

Nate Grey

I assumed the bending was normal for card sleeves. My friends and I don't mind it at all.

mattkoz

I've discovered that cards in sleeves get very slippery and they don't sit well as a deck because the bottom ends up being thicker than the top somehow and they will spill if the deck gets stacked too high.

Any suggestions?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: mattkoz on September 29, 2011, 03:58:01 PM
I've discovered that cards in sleeves get very slippery and they don't sit well as a deck because the bottom ends up being thicker than the top somehow and they will spill if the deck gets stacked too high.

Any suggestions?

build a smaller deck?  :P lol

I tease. I know what you mean, though. Some of the sleeves seem better than others (for both their big-bottom-ness and their texture). Unfortunately, that's just what I've read, since I don't have a ton of experience with different brands.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on September 29, 2011, 06:50:19 PM
Quote from: mattkoz on September 29, 2011, 03:58:01 PM

Any suggestions?

build a smaller deck?  :P lol

I tease. I know what you mean, though. Some of the sleeves seem better than others (for both their big-bottom-ness and their texture). Unfortunately, that's just what I've read, since I don't have a ton of experience with different brands.

New sleeves are slippery and unwieldy. But that wears off after use. Shuffle them a few times, play with them. Eventually the gloss wears off and they don't slide anymore.

-BBH

Jesse

A friend of mine actually gave me a ton of sleeves awhile back (I still have them) and I have 3 sets that have a picture on the back? They are in perfect, never used condition, but I don't like to use sleeves with pictures, I prefer a nice solid black or red  :) - if anyone is interested in these let me know.

*Edit - I will give these to anyone that will pay the shipping to receive them.

Thanks!
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster