Previous topic - Next topic

DiceK

Official Announcement

K2 CHALLENGE Overpower Tournament

When:  March 14th and 15th

Where:  The Atherton Hotel, 125 S Atherton St, State College, PA 16801

Format:  Tournament Formats for both Friday and Saturday TBD

Prizes:  TBD

Hotel Rooms:  Please contact me directly, or see the above post on this same thread.

Any questions, please contact DiceK.

Jack

Shouldn't be a problem for me at all.

thetrooper27

With such a long notice, it's probable that I could make it.  Awesome.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

KObossy

With such a long notice I'm a maybe...who knows I may be living there by then. Right now I'm in Los Angeles so it's a no but who knows.

theorangeking

I have put this on the calendar. Looking forward to it.

OP GOD

Is This TOURNAMENT still alive?  Look forward to battling K2 (Keffer Squared) again...

Cash Prize would bring out some old faces I imagine.

M

* OP GOD
OP GOD

~ To play me, is an HONOUR.

DiceK

Greetings All,

I am working with a possible venue for this event and have a question for everyone.

To refresh everyone's memory, this event is being planned for Friday March 14 and Saturday March 15.

I need to get an estimated headcount to determine if their proposed deal will work for us all as a group.  Please read carefully below and send me a private message with your response.

The Atherton Hotel in State College, PA is shaping up as our top choice for the venue. 

Please see their site here:  http://www.athertonhotel.net/

They are willing to do a package deal for us that includes both rooms and the gaming area.

I need to know how many rooms we would be able to book as a group.  In each scenario below the room rate per night would be $79.  This does not include tax; however, I think this is an excellent rate, especially given the quality of the hotel.  I don't think you'll find anything better than this in all of State College for that weekend.

Scenario #1 - We reserve 10 or more rooms (total) over 2 nights.  We would have a gaming room rate of $100 per day.

Scenario #2 - We reserve 5 or more rooms (total) over 2 nights.  We would have a gaming room rate of $250 per day. 

And just FYI, the room would be ours from 6:00AM to 11:00PM.  This is the best I've been able to find.

If anyone needs clarification, please let me know.

Please respond to me ASAP.

Regards,

Dice K.

HollyWood

Hi,

Just joined the site. Haven't played in years. But my brother and I recently dusted off our cards and would like to attend. We live only 3 hours away and probably would only spend Friday night in the hotel. I was curious to what rules you are using as I have a lot of catching up on particular cards and how they play now?

Thanks,
Kevin
"I'm your huckleberry"

DiceK

UPDATE:  This applies to anyone and everyone who has previously shown interest in staying the night(s) of March 14th and 15th.  Please read carefully.

To make reservations and receive the discounted rate of $79 per night, please call The Atherton Hotel directly at (814) 231-2100.  Dial Option 2 for reservations.  You will need to identify yourself as part of the Overpower Tournament

If anyone has any questions regarding this information, please let me know.

Thanks!

JK

BlueFire

My room at the Atherton is booked.  Hoping to see you all there!

breadmaster

some questions

1) what is the entry fee/prize situation

2) what is the format for the tournament.  since time is not as much of an issue, will there be full matches?

3) is the no proxy rule definite?  all that does is limit deckbuilding for little reason.  it's especially irksome if you allow some proxies (marvels) but not others

DiceK

Breadmaster, thanks for the questions.  We appreciate it.

Please see our responses below.

Quote1) what is the entry fee/prize situation

Entrance Fee:  The entry fee for the entire weekend will be $20.  Please keep in mind that this will include both Friday's "Sealed Draft" Tournament and Saturday's "Standard Overpower Rules" Tournament.

Prizes:  This is still undetermined.  Keeping in mind that this will be a $20 entrance fee, we're interested in hearing what attending and potential players think would be good prizes. 

Quote2) what is the format for the tournament.  since time is not as much of an issue, will there be full matches?

Time:  Both of us have always enjoyed playing matches to the end.  Winning because of time constraints can be frustrating, especially for the player that just pulled a great hand and could possibly mount a comeback late in the match.  For the K2 CHALLENGE tournament, on Saturday, matches will be limited to 50 minutes.  This is DOUBLE the amount of time per match in Buffalo.  We think this will be adequate for people to finish matches.

Friday: We will be hosting a sealed booster draft tournament.  We think this will be a lot of fun.  At the end of the draft, everyone gets to keep the cards they drafted.  As to how long matches will be and what not, we'll figure that out closer to the time. 

Saturday:  Standard Overpower Tournament, with normal deck building rules, and metta/errata rulings.  The only exception is that we will allow the unofficially released Marvels set as part of the tournament.  These cards were never officially released and thus unavailable; however, since they were fully tested by the Overpower Development Team and essentially in the on-deck circle for Marvel just prior to Overpower being abandoned, we are allowing that set.  This will include the 4-Stat Galactus that Jack gave away at the Tournament in Buffalo.  To be completely fair, we will allow anyone with a 3-Stat Galactus to treat him the same as the 4-Stat Galactus that counts as 24 for deck building purposes.

I would personally love to see someone show up with a Galactus Deck!

Quote3) is the no proxy rule definite?  all that does is limit deckbuilding for little reason.  it's especially irksome if you allow some proxies (marvels) but not others

To maintain continuity, I have included Phil's comments on Facebook below.  **These are pieced together from different posts. 

The main event will be Saturday and will use normal deck building rules. Marvels will be legal in this event. Proxy cards will only be allowed for cards from the marvels set.  The only cards that can be proxied are cards that were not officially released.  Using home made cards is a slippery slope we would prefer not to go down. We do want everyone to come and have as much fun as possible though, so please let me know of any issues this policy is causing and we will do our best to help people out.  The only reason the marvels is legal is because it was designed an tested by the original overpower team.

If we were to allow people to show up with decks that had just any card proxied, we would be doing a disservice to those that have gone out and invested in the cards necessary to complete their decks. 

We stand firm on this. 

I hope that our answers above are to the point and provide enough clarity.  If we're simply muddying the waters, please let us know.

Regards,

K2

HollyWood

I love the rules and can't wait! For anyone who needs "The Marvels" hit me up, I can easily print them off on card stock. I'll only charge you what it costs me. Keep in mind I don't print the back as it's not necessary for game play, and you'll have to do the cutting yourself.
"I'm your huckleberry"

BlueFire

I am very curious what prizes interest people the most?  We want people to be striving for something that would better their collections.

This is a COLLECTIBLE card game after all.

Examples may be:

Original Art
Complete Sets
Sealed Boxes or Packs
Rare High Value Singles
Etc.

Let Us Know!

BigBadHarve

Hey guys,

What's the stance on the AnyPower Teamwork that we released in our Marvels set? Are you only allowing the Galactus, and Marvels special cards, or will that one be acceptable too?

For me prizing is immaterial, I'm looking forward to playing a variety of new people. Though, if you're able to rustle up a genuine AP teamwork and/or Avengers ID insert... I'll cast my vote for those cards. ;)

I won't hold my breath, but there it is.