Toronto Meet up #2

Started by BigBadHarve, January 09, 2011, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

hamilton

i mean REALLY bad.  when we played, some people didn't get venture, so we ended up playing without it

in fact, i think i've only played a couple games WITH venture in my life (and was promptly slaughtered by venturing too many)

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on January 29, 2011, 01:06:45 AM
hamilton

i mean REALLY bad.  when we played, some people didn't get venture, so we ended up playing without it

in fact, i think i've only played a couple games WITH venture in my life (and was promptly slaughtered by venturing too many)

You learn by doing - no one ever started off as an expert. ;)  I hope you decide to drop in. You might also find people willing to trade or sell the cards that you're looking for.

-BBH

Hot Rod

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 29, 2011, 02:06:15 AM

You learn by doing - no one ever started off as an expert. ;)  I hope you decide to drop in. You might also find people willing to trade or sell the cards that you're looking for.

-BBH

Quoted for truth!

Haha, if you come out you can play my friend who I was just teaching tonight how to play.  With my coaching + metagaming he beat my dad and I twice with a FFP deck I threw together in about 30 minutes.

Palatinus

I hope you guys keep doing these meet ups.  My wife and I would like to come at some point.  We are in the U.S. but we are only about 6 hours away.  Unfortunately our passports won't be in for awhile, so we won't be able to make it in February.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Palatinus on January 31, 2011, 09:13:51 AM
I hope you guys keep doing these meet ups.  My wife and I would like to come at some point.  We are in the U.S. but we are only about 6 hours away.  Unfortunately our passports won't be in for awhile, so we won't be able to make it in February.

That's the goal. I'm hoping that interest is high enough for a full fledged tournament in April. I have purchased a couple of DC Holo-Heroes which I will offer up as Prize Support for the first one, if there are enough players.

Where are you located? I figured since your site was on Pacific Standard time you were on the West coast...

-BBH

Palatinus

Actually, I'm in Pennsylvania, not West Coast.  I guess Pacific time is the default for the site and I just never changed it.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Palatinus on January 31, 2011, 01:24:25 PM
Actually, I'm in Pennsylvania, not West Coast.  I guess Pacific time is the default for the site and I just never changed it.

Karmanal of Zert is also in Pennsylvania, I think. If you do make a trip for future meetups, you might co-ordinate with him in case he can come along.

Larry Van Etten (The owner of Orange King Collectibles on eBay) said he's coming with his son. And I have a few more who have mentioned they'll be coming in. I'm hoping to double last month's numbers, if not more.

-BBH

Kal-el

This meet up sounds great. I really wish I could make it but Toronto is just a little too far for me. Flying really isn't in the cards for me financially right now and I don't have enough vacation time to drive it.

That being said, I could easily make the drive in a single day if I had the time, so if these keep happening I may get to one sooner or later.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Kal-el on January 31, 2011, 01:43:28 PM
This meet up sounds great. I really wish I could make it but Toronto is just a little too far for me. Flying really isn't in the cards for me financially right now and I don't have enough vacation time to drive it.

That being said, I could easily make the drive in a single day if I had the time, so if these keep happening I may get to one sooner or later.

I think if we are able to keep planning them at least a month in advance, out-of-towners who are within driving distance can plan ahead if they want to make the journey.

Also, a good prize in a tournament situation would make it a lot more appealing... ;)

-BBH

breadmaster

maybe i will try to make it after all

send my an e-mail with the details harv

eisnerwc3@hotmail.com

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on February 13, 2011, 10:53:26 PM
maybe i will try to make it after all

send my an e-mail with the details harv

eisnerwc3@hotmail.com

I have emailed you the info, plus our house rules (which are optional) and a list of cards for possible trade (I have a few on your list.)

For the rest of you who are thinking about it - Here's the info again -

We're at 918 Bathurst St, in Toronto, from noon until 11 pm. They are giving us the space for $5 a head, which isn't bad.

Map link below:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=918+bathurst&cp=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

But let us know if you're coming, (if you haven't already), so I have an idea as to numbers.

Cheers!

-BBH

Hot Rod

This day can't come soon enough!  I totally have my fingers crossed hoping that we get 20+ people for this one.  Perhaps if this gathering meets expectations the locals could come up with crash space/hotel money to make it more bareable for  the people who have to drive 4+ hours each way.  It would also be nice to get some more old players like "Marcel" and "The Bertrands" which I think would be possible the more attractive the event is.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: HotRod on February 21, 2011, 10:22:03 PM
This day can't come soon enough!  I totally have my fingers crossed hoping that we get 20+ people for this one.  Perhaps if this gathering meets expectations the locals could come up with crash space/hotel money to make it more bareable for  the people who have to drive 4+ hours each way.  It would also be nice to get some more old players like "Marcel" and "The Bertrands" which I think would be possible the more attractive the event is.

I think we'll have about ten again. So many people keep saying they want to come, then bail out when the day nears.

I have sent multiple emails to Marcel, and was in touch with Ty Bertrand as well. Ty is interested, but is shooting that day (he's a photographer by trade now) but wants to come to the next one.

I'm bringing 4 people myself. 1 confirmed (unless he gets work for the day) and 3 high possibilities. The 3 are brand new players, though. One of them has yet to try the game.

I want to do a tournament in April, but I won't do it unless we get 20 people. If we get less, then we'll just do another free-play meetup.

But the magic word is 'HOLOHEROES.'  I have a few Holo Heroes that I'm offering up as prizes if we get the numbers. Psssst... pass it on.

-BBH

Hot Rod

That sucks if we can't improve on the last one.  You give people 2 months heads up and they still don't show.   :-\

On the bright side that's awesome you managed to get a hold of Ty, it would be nice to see him again for sure.  I haven't been able to get a hold of Marcel either, I tried through youtube, but he hasn't logged in for 2 weeks, I think the only way to get him will be to phone him.

Nate Grey

Hope you guys get the turn out you are hoping for. Being down here in California prevents me from participating (not to mention I still don't have a passport) but maybe some day I can visit my neighbors up north in Canada. Good luck and do keep us posted.  :)