Toronto Meet up #2

Started by BigBadHarve, January 09, 2011, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

It would be awesome if one or more of you guys could post some "reports" of the games that get played.  Characters used, critical plays, etc.  Would help those of us who can't be there live a little vicariously!

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Dog on February 22, 2011, 10:21:05 AM
It would be awesome if one or more of you guys could post some "reports" of the games that get played.  Characters used, critical plays, etc.  Would help those of us who can't be there live a little vicariously!

I will endeavour to keep a log of the games, teams and players. We're not doing anything structured, it's pretty much a drop in free-play, but I am curious myself as to the results.

-BBH

Hot Rod

I'll also try to log my games for a report.  I have 2 of my own decks that either I will be running, or my brother.  After the event I will be posting an analysis on both decks for everyone to read.

drdeath25

How about some way to record a video of a few matches and post them on youtube? My circle has been dreaming to do this at our san diego comic-con meetsups, but we never find the right equipment.

If you guys dont do it, i suppose we will have to do it in July at this years meetup

Jack

We're going to get video, my cousin will come with a Flip camera. I might consider getting one myself so we can get more exposure from our events. I'll also be taking stills with my point and shoot cameras.

BigBadHarve

Well, Meetup # 2 has come and gone. Next meetup is tentatively going to be on Saturday, April 30th.

We have decided that Meetup #3 will be a tournament situation. 4 rounds of swiss, with top 8 moving to an elimination round.

Prizes will depend on numbers. If we get enough people, top prize will be a DC Holo hero. More people means a bigger prize pool. An entry gift will also be likely. Pass the Gestalt has some promos from the old days, as do I. Everything TBD.

Overall, a good time was had by all.

In all we had 15 people playing, which is 6 more from the last time. Admittedly, 3 of those were trainees that I invited, and thus were using my cards... but they are definitely interested in the game and want to attend future events!

I attempted logs of matches, but not everyone filled out their log cards, so I don't have a complete report of who won and lost, but I have most people's decks recorded...

I was primarily using my Mighty Thor team with a win ratio of 6-1:
Thor, X-Man, Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange

I also used my Avalon Team, but was 0-2 this time (I got greedy on the venture):
Magneto, Prof. X, Bishop and Cable.

Zippa-Head an energy deck and had a recorded win ratio of 2 - 2 (But I know he played more games than listed so I don't know the rest of his tally):
The Flash, Holocaust, Jean Grey: Dark Phoenix, Prof. X,

Hot Rod had a nice strength/fighting concept, but I don't have his log so I don't know his record:
Hulk, Heroes for Hire, Landslide and Hawkeye

D'arcy (Zippa's brother) was on hand, but I have neither his team nor his ratio recorded.

Spencer (Hot Rod's brother) had an energy team (Again don't have his records):
Onslaught, Holocaust, Scarlet Witch, Havok

Pass the Gestault (Hot Rod's Dad) using his Evil Intellect team (I have his card, but he didn't record anything, grumble):
Lex Luthor, Black King, Donald Pierce and Batman: Detective. (Batman occasionally swapped out for Mr. Fantastic.)

Jack was on hand with a couple of fighting decks, (Jack you can fill us in with your win ratio):
Nick Fury, The Hand, Starjammers and Silver Sable.
Captain America, Wonder Woman, Zealot and 3 stat Spider Woman

Ted (Jack's Brother) was using a Cape Citadel team, I don't know his overall ratio, but this match represented my one loss with the Thor team:
Xaos, Crux, Landslide and Rapture.

Bamf was on hand as well with an Intellect team, don't know his ratio:
Reyes, Donald Pierce, Cerebro and Neron.

Matt (a buddy of mine) was using his new favourite teams :
Sabretooth's Harem: Wonder Woman, Zealot, Black Cat and Sabretooth (recorded ratio: 2-0)
Evil Geniuses: Lex Luthor, Donald Pierce, Bastion and Dracula (recorded ratio: 0-2)

Claude (my boss, OP trainee) played a Four Freedoms team with a ratio of 4-1:
Mr. Fantastic, Namor: Submariner, Invisible Woman, Thing

Dave (Claude's son, OP trainee) played a strength deck with a ratio of 1-4
Iron Man, She Hulk, Colossus and Spider Woman

Adrianna (friend of mine, OP trainee and X-men fanatic) played one game with the Danger Room. 0-1 ratio, but that doesn't count it was her first game ever, and it was a training game:
Beast, Gambit, Rogue and Iceman.

John (friend of mine and Pass the Gestalt's) was on hand with a fighting team and recorded ratio of (2-1):
Maverick, Shang Chi, Reavers Hawkeye.

And last but not least, Breadmaster showed up and tried a few teams, I don't know his ratio but he took at least one win against the FF deck Claude was using.
Asteroid M: 3 stat Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Blob and Quicksilver
Cape Citadel: Mercury, Rapture, Xaos and Landslide

That's about it. More tournament information as he lock in all the details.

Cheers!

-BBH

Jack

I'll have something written up when I get time, hopefully it'll still be fresh in my mind.

I was 1 win, 4 loss in the meet up. I won against BBH's Avalon but lost to Pass The Gestalt, John, bamf and Ted.

D'arcy is zippa_head's brother.

Hot Rod

This.Was.Painful.

Note to self: don't change your deck at 2am (without play testing) because you have a "Good Idea." (It's a Trap!)

So yeah, I managed to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory while playing BBH's Thor deck by turning a first turn bet 7 and win situation, into a first turn bet 5 and win followed by conceding the game next turn.

Moving on,

Played 1 or 2 (I can't remember) more games agasn't BBH's Thor deck: got man handled.

Played Jack's cousin (Ted I think?) who was running a Cape Citedal deck: got crushed 2 times.

Played slit wrists in bathtub: failed.

February 26th 2011 is a day that shall live in infamy.

breadmaster

my record was decent for the first time out

claude and i split 2 games (cape citadel for me, four freedoms for him)

then i played the family guys at harv's place (correct me if i get the following wrong)

played jack's brother twice and lost both (he ran pierce, onslaught, holocaust and x-man...i think.  i ran an abortion of a deck with shadow king, xavier, orion and h4h)

then played jacks cousin (sorry about forgetting the name's guys :() squeaked out a win in a drawn out battle. asteroid m for me, cape citadel for him

then played harv and split 2 games with asteroid m again, with some deck constrution pointers helping to win the second (and drawing DOW in the first hand rather than the last ;)).  harv used a danger room team in the first and a different team in the second (off the top of my head i can only recall multiple man)

Onslaught

Sounds like it was a great time all around. Looks like Canada is really exploring the limits of Shang Chi decks, I'd like to see where that goes. You guys play with The Marvels cards, right? Man, Dr. Strange is so insanely good with that teammate avoid.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on February 28, 2011, 07:19:59 AM
Sounds like it was a great time all around. Looks like Canada is really exploring the limits of Shang Chi decks, I'd like to see where that goes. You guys play with The Marvels cards, right? Man, Dr. Strange is so insanely good with that teammate avoid.

Speaking of Shang-Chi and THE MARVELS, I think he got the most insane personal avoid I could ever have imagined. In my opinion, it rivals a BJ/CW avoid.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: HotRod on February 27, 2011, 02:13:48 PM
This.Was.Painful.

Note to self: don't change your deck at 2am (without play testing) because you have a "Good Idea." (It's a Trap!)

Been there, done that. Never a good plan. ;)

You totally had me that one round. 'No energy power cards may be played' and Rage in play to lock down the strength icons! Of course you couldn't have known at the venture that I didn't have a negate, or that I wouldn't have drawn one if you bet 7. If I had drawn a negate when you had bet the 7 missions, I would have won... so even though the overall game didn't pan out for you, I think you played that round the right way.

Quote from: Onslaught on February 28, 2011, 07:19:59 AM

There was only one person using Shang Chi, though yes, he IS good.

Yeah, Dr. Strange rocks with the addition just that one card. I kind of liked using him before, but now he's a no-brainer for a reserve character.

There are a couple in our group who are morally opposed to to the 'Marvels' because they don't view them as official. I am not one of them. I don't generally like homemades as a rule, but Marvels would have been real had the game continued, and are generally a universally accepted 'homemade.' The Marvels add so much spice to so many decks, I love 'em!

Quote from: ncannelora on February 28, 2011, 11:42:10 AM
Speaking of Shang-Chi and THE MARVELS, I think he got the most insane personal avoid I could ever have imagined. In my opinion, it rivals a BJ/CW avoid.

Agreed. It's very nice. Almost guarantees that your opponent won't go for Shang Chi! It's so risky!

-BBH

rucker73

I had Shang-Chi in one of the two decks I have ready to go...  in case I ever have the time to make it to one of these things.

Was running Shang-Chi, HFH, Black Cat with Namor: Sub Mariner in reserve.  Outback battlesite to give me three shots at getting a massive discard for my opponent.  With the Crossing mission set and the KO event.  Only using 3 specials per front line character.

And my Muir Island deck, again with the Outback.  Deadly card advantage if you get the aspect played early.

And i've been trying to get something going with Mysterio and the Ray...  to take advantage of the attacks face down OPD's...  but I've been having little success in play testing.  Tried using the Riddler as well...  no dice.  I've had more success with the Marauders and the Flash in reserve.  If anyone has any tips on making this one work I would welcome the advice.
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Quote from: rucker73 on February 28, 2011, 10:35:19 PM

And i've been trying to get something going with Mysterio and the Ray...  to take advantage of the attacks face down OPD's...  but I've been having little success in play testing.  Tried using the Riddler as well...  no dice.  I've had more success with the Marauders and the Flash in reserve.  If anyone has any tips on making this one work I would welcome the advice.

Try using Morlock Tunnels as a homebase. The aspect lets the whole team attack face down, and it can't be negated.

-BBH

Jack

Pictures!

I played a game against my cousin before the meetup. I bet 4 on my first hand and my cousin conceded because of a bad bluff (I had 3 8-Anys, 6/7/8F and a Starjammers 11). Second hand, I bet for the win with 3. I had 2 8-Anys, 7A, 8F and Starjammers' Draw 3. My cousin had no negate and I ended up winning the venture with 39 points to something.

zippa_head vs Matt

Dave vs John

D'Arcy vs Spencer

Pass the Gestalt vs Jack (I lost the venture and game to a 1M Joker!)

From left to right, perspective wise -
Teddy, Spencer, Claude, breadmaster, BBH, HotRod, Pass the Gestalt (hidden).

zippa_head vs Matt, with Dave in the top-middle.

BBH vs bamf!

breadmaster vs Claude

BBH (sitting) behind..., Dave (standing), John (sitting), Ted (standing), bamf! (sitting), Pass the Gestalt, Spencer (getting pizza)

Change of scenery here, we're at BBH's house now. This is the beginning of Ted vs breadmaster.

BBH's house again, these are the final moments of Ted vs breadmaster. It seemed like stalemate but breadmaster had the Aspect which allowed him to draw for each fighting defense. breadmaster won.