California Roll Call!

Started by a_noble_kaz, January 27, 2011, 02:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_noble_kaz

Hey everyone, I'm posting about a possible California flavored OP meet-up. We gotta stop letting the Toronto guys get all the action! It's time to step up! Anyway, I live in Redding, CA which is all the way up north. I personally would be willing to drive almost anywhere in CA for an OP get-together, so I propose we start by simply taking a roll call of sorts.

Who lives in or around California?

gameplan.exe

"I'm with ya, too!" - in my best Luke Skywalker voice LOL

For sure we have to get a good sized meeting together. I'm tired of beating up on the same guys all the time     ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

a_noble_kaz

QuoteI'm tired of losing to the same guys all the time!

fix'd

lol

But seriously, c'mon people!

gameplan.exe

QuoteI'm tired of losing to the same guys all the time!

fix'd

lol

But seriously, c'mon people!

That's it! I'm using Power Leach from now on, Tim!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

I am in Northern California also in the Bay Area, i would be willing to meet you guys. However, most of the other players i play with live in SoCal (Onslaught and a few others), so my biggest meet-up of the year is at the SDCC. But like you, im pretty much willing to drive anywhere in CA to get a good days worth of games in.

a_noble_kaz

drddeath - awesome! we are currently discussing going to SDCC. four day pass is $100, and me and my two brothers are talking about buying ours right now and registering.

drdeath25

Its worth noting that SDCC tickets go on sale Saturday, February 5th at 9 a.m. PST sharp. They will be sold out within the first hour, so if you plan on going you would need to act fast that morning. And even harder than getting tickets, will be finding lodging in the area, so plan your hotel ASAP also if you plan to attend.

So.... Now that I look at what we got in california from this board we have:

- Drdeath25 (NorCal) - Confirmed to Attend SDCC
- Onsalught (SoCal) - Confirmed to Attend SDCC
- Onslaughts Friend Sean (not on these boards) (SoCal) - Confirmed to Attend SDCC
- A Noble Kaz (NorCal) - Questionable to attend
- Ncannelora (NorCal) - Questionable to attend
- Nate Grey (SoCal) - Confirmed to attend SDCC
- Nate Grey's Friends - Confirmed to attend SDCC (possibly able to play overpower)

And a few others:
- Ncannelora's group of 3-4 friends (possibly?)
- A Noble Kaz's brothers (possibly?).
- Nate Grey's Friends

I am thinking potentially if we had a get-together in San Diego we could have a minimum of 8 players, with the potential for up to 12. That should be enough for a nice little round-robin tournament, with the top 4 going into a double elimination bracket setup.

If we did a meetup in NorCal in the Bay Area, There is a cool store in Berkeley called "Games of Berkeley", that has a basement that is open as their playroom with a bunch of tables. I think a Norcal Meetup would get us around 4 people depending on how many people Noble Kaz, and Ncannelora would be able to bring with them.

Is there anyone else in the California Overpower Faction i am forgetting, that would like to get-together with a bunch of us and have a blast venturing against us?

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 04:02:10 PM

Another interesting idea would be.... We could always do this tournament for free and just do it for fun, and for the love of the game.

Or.... We could make an entry fee of $10-$15 dollars which would be due in advance. The money would be used to purchase a Batman Detective Holo Hero on Ebay from Larry Van Etten (The Orange King). Winner takes a shiny new holographic batman home with him  ;D

Thoughts?

Nate Grey

Adding myself to the California roll call and I will definitely be at Comic Con 2011. My two Comic Con buddies are also attending and I will see if I can get them to join in. I'm way intimidated by all you pros though.  :o

drdeath25

Sweet, i updated my post above to include your friends. Look forward to seeing you guys there.

I also agree at how comic-con has become way to crowded and mainstream over the past years. The first time i attended was in 2000 for the last overpower nationals tournament. Back then, you could just walk in the day of the con and buy badges no problem, now they are selling out a year in advance, its ridiculous.

And much like you, with so many things to do at the SDCC, it IS hard to find alot of time just to devote to just overpower, but we always find a way to do so. I assume if we have 8+ people, most of us would be willing to set aside more time to play. I think it would be a great learning experience for you and your friends.

gameplan.exe

Me and Noble Kaz are brothers  :-\ but there is another user on these boards that's a friend of mine, Ranerdar, also from Redding, CA.

Also, I don't buy from Orange King anymore because Bornagain79 will beat his prices when you make an offer. I like the idea of playing a tournament, but not for money, I don't think. Also, Comic Con sells out in an hour?! I had no idea nerds got so serious! lol
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

So, I missed the Comic Con registration  >:(

I feel like Comic Con maybe isn't the best way to get together for Overpower, anyway, though. I mean, I'd be so torn between playing with a bunch of new players and actually attending the events/attractions of Comic Con.

So, it seems to me like we should orchestrate a different meeting. One that is solely for playing OP. Seems like we could all stay at the same hotel somewhere and play at the hotel for hours on end. No curfew, less travel/cost, etc.

Thoughts?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

I am simply shocked by how fast Comic Con 2011 tickets sold out this year. It's gotten so ridiculous. I'm fortunate to be a Comic Con seasoned veteran so I always pre-register but I hate how the convention is becoming way too inclusive. I knew people who wanted to go for the first time but now couldn't because of the ticket madness going on. A shame really.

Anyway, so who else was lucky enough to reserve tickets?

drdeath25

I am also a comic-con veteran as i have only missed the event twice in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, tickets were always really easy to get, so i never pre-registered at the con. You used to be able to walk up to the comic-con the day of the event to buy tickets, but the last few years you have had to buy them the first day. THIS YEAR they sold out about an hour after they went on sale. Luckily, me and my fellow overpower crew of 3 other people all got our tickets for this year on time before they sold out, and have received our barcodes in e-mail already. I will definitely be pre-registering at the comic con this year, for the 2012 event, so i dont have to deal with that madness anymore.

Now, to work on getting a nicer hotel in the gaslamp... a whole new set of madness.

Nate Grey

Quote from: drdeath25 on February 09, 2011, 01:06:59 AM
Now, to work on getting a nicer hotel in the gaslamp... a whole new set of madness.

The hotel situation is certainly something that does freak me out because it was madness trying to score one last year, even for us veterans. A nice hotel is so expensive now and everyone is fighting for them. We've always stayed at hotels within walking distance and this past year we ended up with a further hotel and actually needed a shuttle to get to and from the convention. I'm honestly nervous about trying to get a decent hotel near the convention but my buddies and I will do our best.  :-\

drdeath25

We got lucky the past 3 years and got gaslamp hotels within walking distance. Last year we got REALLY LUCKY and were able to stay at the Hard Rock right across the street. But with how fast the badges went this year, i am sure it will be alot worse trying to score a hotel this year. As long as i am in the gaslamp I will be happy.... I wonder when the hotel registration will start. Any idea?