Overpower Alive in New England!

Started by Ravencroft, February 15, 2011, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravencroft

I must say stumbling across this site has made me a happy man. Also knowing that OP is still in many hearts and minds is also a joyful thought.

But down to business...

Recently in a comic shop in Dracut, Massachusetts named Command D, the first overpower tournament in nearly ten years at the shop was held! It consisted of ten players and was themed "Homebase in a Hat". The idea being you draw a homebase out of a hat weeks ahead of time and then put your deck together at home. There are alot of very experienced card gamers down there, even 3 of the former top ten still come by and play.

Now, with the inaugural tourny out of the way the winner of the last one now decides on a theme of his own. Will it be the first ever overpower draft, or auctioning the rights to play a character(with make believe currency of course), but in any event we want everyone to come and play. Trying to bring overpower back is more than a dream for all of dopwn at Command D, its a goal.

P.S. the winner was playing Latveria, second was a tie between a Madripoor team, New York city team, and an Outer Space team.

Hot Rod

That's awesome!  I love the "Homebase in a Hat" idea.  I'm also a big fan of a point based value systems or just a fixed cap with auctioning.  It's also sweet to see another big group of players relatively close to Toronto!

Dog

Do you guys use the "NEO" or any other house rules?

Ravencroft

No house rules, but there are "house cards/characters". Like Nightwing: Bludhaven, Mr Fantastic got a negate (Doom did too), Superman/Batman got draw threes, 6 multi may make follow up with teammates special OPD, and all that good stuff. OH and we added level 0 power cards and 8-6 multi power cards. The store is open wed-sunday and there will be a tournament in March.
I personally am hoping for the draft.

Anyone interested?

BigBadHarve

Very nice. I participated in a 'homebase' tournament many years ago, though it wasn't by random draw for the location. It was first come, first served for choice, and there were no dupes of Locations.

I don't recall who won, but I know it wasn't me. :P

How frequently do they plan to run tournaments? Dracut is about a 10 hour drive from Toronto, it might be worth the trip for a fun tournament.

-BBH

Ravencroft

We have a big enough group on our own to do monthly, and we are hoping for our new mystery/gimmick tournament to be some time in march. One of our players owns the store so hours of operation and space are not a concern.
Exactly how many people are in that Toronto group?
But the guy playing Latveria played a fun deck too, he used the FF.

Nate Grey

Welcome to the forums, Ravencroft!  :) Glad to see more Overpower fans stumbling into this site.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Ravencroft on February 16, 2011, 12:08:31 AM
We have a big enough group on our own to do monthly, and we are hoping for our new mystery/gimmick tournament to be some time in march. One of our players owns the store so hours of operation and space are not a concern.
Exactly how many people are in that Toronto group?

So far, our confirmed attendance is hovering at ten. But there are another dozen people who have expressed an interest but aren't 100%. Pretty much the same numbers as our December gathering.

As for a road trip, I have only talked to one person about it, but he's interested, so we'll see.

-BBH

Palatinus

It is great to hear that Overpower is alive and kicking.  We are about 6 hours from Dracut, which is not bad at all.  We are about the same distance from Toronto too, so hopefully we will be making appearances at both places in the near future.  I've not been to Dracut, but when I lived in Boston I played Magic at a place in Malden.  I can't remember the name of the place now, but it was just a little hole in the wall place run by one guy.  Anyway, I can't wait to hear more info about how Overpower is doing up your way.  Please ask any of your fellow players who are interested to join our site.  We love having new Overpower fans.  I'm thinking that we need to get the word out to more people about this site because if Overpower is alive in two places, chances are it is alive elsewhere.

Kal-el

Well I'm jealous. I honestly think I am the only person who plays in all of Wisconsin.

rucker73

I love the idea of a home base tourney.  Did you guys use all of the home bases or just the ones that make competitive teams (For instance did you exclude The Sewer, and the Image home bases)

Any idea that challenges the players to come up with new and unique teams, utilizing as many different characters as possible is a great one in my books.
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Quote from: rucker73 on February 17, 2011, 12:27:43 PM
I love the idea of a home base tourney.  Did you guys use all of the home bases or just the ones that make competitive teams (For instance did you exclude The Sewer, and the Image home bases)

Any idea that challenges the players to come up with new and unique teams, utilizing as many different characters as possible is a great one in my books.

I think it might be fun to do a 'no supplemental' tournament. IE: No any-heroes, no battlesite. Homebases are acceptable, though.

Let the team stand on it's own merits, with out the extra boost.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

I think it might be fun to do a 'no supplemental' tournament. IE: No any-heroes, no battlesite. Homebases are acceptable, though.

Let the team stand on it's own merits, with out the extra boost.

-BBH

[/quote]

I'd be down to try it. Sometimes I have a tough time getting to 56 cards without Any-Heroes or a Battlesite, though...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on February 17, 2011, 02:11:59 PM

I'd be down to try it. Sometimes I have a tough time getting to 56 cards without Any-Heroes or a Battlesite, though...

That's part of the challenge. The average site will have 10 - 12 cards. You'll need to fill out the deck with more specials, universe cards etc. in order to replace the space taken up by Site/Any Heroes.

Characters will also die much faster. I'd be curious to see what players would come up with in that scenario.

-BBH

Hot Rod

That sounds like quite the challenge!  I have a hard enough time as is trying to get 56 cards into decks.  I could see it being a toss up between fun, and a complete nightmare.