Overpower Alive in New England!

Started by Ravencroft, February 15, 2011, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rucker73

Could work.  But I think that you would still see the same old characters, Spawn, Scarlet Witch, X-Babies and Marauders.

I like the idea of a character draft.  Or any other restrictive idea...  (you can only use characters whose names start with a letter in your initials, or use the random team generator on OPDeck and build around 2 of the given characters)
"Wade! into action!"

Ravencroft

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 17, 2011, 01:36:09 PM
Quote from: rucker73 on February 17, 2011, 12:27:43 PM
I love the idea of a home base tourney.  Did you guys use all of the home bases or just the ones that make competitive teams (For instance did you exclude The Sewer, and the Image home bases)

Any idea that challenges the players to come up with new and unique teams, utilizing as many different characters as possible is a great one in my books.

I think it might be fun to do a 'no supplemental' tournament. IE: No any-heroes, no battlesite. Homebases are acceptable, though.

Let the team stand on it's own merits, with out the extra boost.

-BBH

Ah i forgot to mention the details of deck construction. We did do no any heroes and no battle sites and a max of 4 team works. We eliminated the ones that would obviously dominate(four freedoms, asteroid m), and you also had to have 6 of either double shots, training cards, basic uni's or tactic artifacts. I personally packed 6 captain universes, my killer crush's really hurt.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: rucker73 on February 17, 2011, 06:41:49 PM
Could work.  But I think that you would still see the same old characters, Spawn, Scarlet Witch, X-Babies and Marauders.

I like the idea of a character draft.  Or any other restrictive idea...  (you can only use characters whose names start with a letter in your initials, or use the random team generator on OPDeck and build around 2 of the given characters)

That would be a wild idea - using the random team generator on OPdeck for each entrant. You're stuck with the 4 you get.

Quote from: Ravencroft on February 17, 2011, 06:45:56 PM
Ah i forgot to mention the details of deck construction. We did do no any heroes and no battle sites and a max of 4 team works. We eliminated the ones that would obviously dominate(four freedoms, asteroid m), and you also had to have 6 of either double shots, training cards, basic uni's or tactic artifacts. I personally packed 6 captain universes, my killer crush's really hurt.

I think it's great that you're requiring the BUs, training and DS cards, though I think the teamwork limitation is unfortunate. Many homebases have screwy power grids. The strength of dual-suit teams is in the teamworks. You sacrifice a consistent grid for the ability to play more offsuit TWs. If you want to limit TWs, you might try playing them as 'One-per-deck' for the benefit of players who make dual suit decks.

It's pretty subjective as to what teams would obviously dominate. Except for FF plaza, all the homebases are relatively even in terms of inherents or teams. Even so, I've built homebases that have run over the FF plaza at full strength... (well, errata'd full strength, not 'as written' full strength.) 

What were all the Locations that were disallowed?

-BBH

Ravencroft

I believe they were Asteroid M, FF plaza, Gamma base, Princess Bar, and the sewer. Plus the Omniverse style homebase.

The team work limitation made them effectively OPD, i had ravencroft and it hurt me, so i just romp and stomped their face.  It helped in balance because a TW was basically a kill to me, if someone threw a 6 then a 6 than a 6, im just dead.
But the Ravencroft inherit was such a pain in the ass to everyone, i loved it

rucker73

I've played using Ravencroft against other competitive decks and even won a few matches.  there are a lot of strong special card attacks with both goblins having 7's and rhino having a 6 plus romp and stomp.  And there are also a few pain in the ass discard placed card specials for all 3.  Ally's for GG, Power card for HG and universe for Rhino.

In fact you could say I love Ravencroft!!!   (spider-man fan though)
"Wade! into action!"

rucker73

Surprised that the ban didn't include Muir Island (very powerful) or the Image locations (mainly useless)
"Wade! into action!"

Ravencroft

Quote from: rucker73 on February 18, 2011, 10:37:03 PM
I've played using Ravencroft against other competitive decks and even won a few matches.  there are a lot of strong special card attacks with both goblins having 7's and rhino having a 6 plus romp and stomp.  And there are also a few pain in the ass discard placed card specials for all 3.  Ally's for GG, Power card for HG and universe for Rhino.

In fact you could say I love Ravencroft!!!   (spider-man fan though)

why thank you, i have played ravencroft before but i put GG in reserve and doc oc in front because he has his 2-8s and killer crush which is better than romp n' stomp. I used to use mysterio instead of rhyno, and i actually won more games that way

BigBadHarve

I too like Ravencroft as a base.

I'm curious about the selections that were disallowed.

Why Asteroid M and Gamma Base? They are certainly not as dangerous as some of the ones that were left in.

-BBH

Ravencroft

gamma base was dumped because its useless

Asteroid M was banned because of the inherit. If you use the right people 3 stat you can only be cuum'd

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Ravencroft on February 24, 2011, 10:59:50 PM
gamma base was dumped because its useless

Asteroid M was banned because of the inherit. If you use the right people 3 stat you can only be cuum'd

Gamma Base isn't useless. You can create a dangerous team with Gamma Base. Hulk, Doc Samson, Leader with She-Hulk. Or maybe Thunderbolts instead of Leader for those really hefty offsuit teamworks and a good candidate for a KO event. Everyone has high intellect so your grids aren't too screwy. Personally, given the option, I'd take Gamma over something like Falls Edge Compound.

As for Asteroid M, yes, if you use 3 stat Magneto, he can't be spectrum KO'd, but his highest offstat in that case is a 2... I don't think that warrants a ban.

But, to each their own... I do like the fact that a Latveria Team took the win.

-BBH

Ravencroft

well its more that gamma base has no upside, there is no way you can make a team that is too expensive, and you have a chance to be at -3 venture with no benefit.

Asteroid M with the rules we had in place would have rolled the tournament. With a limit of 4 teamworks, it wasnt that important to have good grid diversity.

I would have loved to have Falls Edge, their aspect card is one of the best.

gameplan.exe

I've tried several times to make an effective Fall's Edge Compound. It's been mixed results. It has an interesting appeal in diversity, similar to Danger Room. But without the Danger Room's good Inherent Ability, the Power Pack is tough to build.
7-3-4-5 Havok
7-3-3-4 Polaris
5-5-3-7 Forge       
3-4-7-3 Strong Guy
5-6-3-6 Mystique   
2-8-6-3 Sabretooth 

So, you have 2 people with a 6+ in every stat. On the surface it looks like good diversity, but it's tough because you can't get a front line that is 6+ in the same stat.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Ravencroft

Quote from: ncannelora on February 25, 2011, 06:21:18 PM
I've tried several times to make an effective Fall's Edge Compound. It's been mixed results. It has an interesting appeal in diversity, similar to Danger Room. But without the Danger Room's good Inherent Ability, the Power Pack is tough to build.
7-3-4-5 Havok
7-3-3-4 Polaris
5-5-3-7 Forge       
3-4-7-3 Strong Guy
5-6-3-6 Mystique   
2-8-6-3 Sabretooth 

So, you have 2 people with a 6+ in every stat. On the surface it looks like good diversity, but it's tough because you can't get a front line that is 6+ in the same stat.

I played it once with Havok, Polaris, Strong Guy, and Forge in reserve. I used spawn's alley as a battlesite for Spawn's get an artifact card and bumped Strong Guys En to 7.
Also where i play there are 8-6 multi cards,that are leagl, so its a lil easier.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Ravencroft on February 25, 2011, 04:32:25 PM
well its more that gamma base has no upside, there is no way you can make a team that is too expensive, and you have a chance to be at -3 venture with no benefit.

Asteroid M with the rules we had in place would have rolled the tournament. With a limit of 4 teamworks, it wasnt that important to have good grid diversity.

I would have loved to have Falls Edge, their aspect card is one of the best.

Without a doubt, Fall's Edge Aspect is good. It's tricky to reconcile that grid. Though, if you're using homemade multi 6-8s, then that's not so much of a problem.

In Considering the Gamma Base, it's not just sum deck and the inherent penalty that you need to consider. Since everyone else is locked into using a homebase, no one has the versatility of using Marvel Universe, so Gamma's sum deck issue is not so bad. But you haven't considered what Gamma does have, and that's Leader. Since battlesites and any-heroes were also disallowed, Leader's Omnibus card becomes nigh-unstoppable given that many of the other teams aren't likely to have negates... unless everyone and their brother got a negate by the people running the tournament. With heavy assault from Hulk, She Hulk and/or Doc Samson, you've got a tough little team.

-BBH