Peace Bridge 2015 Tournaments in Buffalo, May 15-16.

Started by theorangeking, March 16, 2015, 09:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theorangeking

Hi all,

Some early details on Peace Bridge 2015 (3rd annual).

Friday tourney will be a DC only Can/Am tournament. DC3s will be legal. I would like this tourney be counted in the rankings. Thoughts?

Saturday tourney will be a standard deck building tourney. Proxies of Marvels or any official released cards are allowed.

Saturday prize info. There will be a top prize awarded to the highest newbie finisher. If you have not played in the Peace Bridge tourney the last two years you are eligible for a top prize value of $100 or more.

Saturday rule change feedback: at K2 there was discussion to allow Battlesite decks that have DoWs played against them to be able to chain their activator hits against DoW. For example: if your battlesite is locked out by DoW and you have more than 1 activator, you can play all of them at one time. I would like your feedback on allowing this rule change to be play tested at the Peace Bridge tourney. Thoughts?

Thank you and venture well!

BigBadHarve

Quote from: theorangeking on March 16, 2015, 09:10:57 AM
Hi all,

Some early details on Peace Bridge 2015 (3rd annual).

Friday tourney will be a DC only Can/Am tournament. DC3s will be legal. I would like this tourney be counted in the rankings. Thoughts?

I say absolutely not. Those cards are amusing to play, but they are largely untested and some haven't been thought through. Also, I think we should keep the Friday events fun without the rankings in general.

Quote from: theorangeking on March 16, 2015, 09:10:57 AM
Saturday tourney will be a standard deck building tourney. Proxies of Marvels or any official released cards are allowed.

Saturday prize info. There will be a top prize awarded to the highest newbie finisher. If you have not played in the Peace Bridge tourney the last two years you are eligible for a top prize value of $100 or more.

Saturday rule change feedback: at K2 there was discussion to allow Battlesite decks that have DoWs played against them to be able to chain their activator hits against DoW. For example: if your battlesite is locked out by DoW and you have more than 1 activator, you can play all of them at one time. I would like your feedback on allowing this rule change to be play tested at the Peace Bridge tourney. Thoughts?

I think it's time to start making proper changes to the game, and DoW is a good place to start. Especially since Keith Bursack confirmed many people's suspicions that the card WAS NEVER PLAYTESTED! I like the activator dump idea as it's a minor change that doesn't fundamentally change the intent of the card - but we can reserve the right to adjust it if something better comes up.

chuu

Was the question and answer portion recorded as well? i'm hoping yes :D

Skeletaur

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 16, 2015, 09:39:04 AM
I think it's time to start making proper changes to the game, and DoW is a good place to start. Especially since Keith Bursack confirmed many people's suspicions that the card WAS NEVER PLAYTESTED! I like the activator dump idea as it's a minor change that doesn't fundamentally change the intent of the card - but we can reserve the right to adjust it if something better comes up.

On our (long) drive back home yesterday we were talking about DoW and possible rule changes and some ideas that were discussed:

- Allow it to be negated by 2 (or 3) activators when played.
- Allow it to be hit with any amount of activators as it comes into play defensively, reducing the number of activators needed when its played. (This can even be combined with the activator dump idea)
- Only require 3 activators to shut down DoW.
- (idea i thought of now). Allow a person to draw a replacement card (discard duplicates) when hitting DoW with an activator

Some food for thought/discussion.

Take care guys

chuu

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 16, 2015, 09:39:04 AM

I say absolutely not. Those cards are amusing to play, but they are largely untested and some haven't been thought through. Also, I think we should keep the Friday events fun without the rankings in general.

Having just finished making a set, I want to know what I would have to provide to the "group" for proper testing.  I want my set to be used and have no problem backing it if there is a possibilty that everyone can use it.  I'm not saying that i'll give out loads of free sets but i think it's something to discuss.  For my set, i'm ok with the card effects changing but not the art...

Can someone that has one of my sets chime in on how and if this would affect them?  I would say that all 1st printings would be erretad.

Jack

I would recommend releasing untested sets as images before any printing. The Marvels were play tested with printed paper for many revisions.

It's not a matter of the environmental impact of the waste of paper from the sets, more concerned that people will confuse pre-tested releases to official releases when the sets are finalized.

Quote from: Skeletaur on March 16, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
On our (long) drive back home yesterday we were talking about DoW and possible rule changes and some ideas that were discussed:

- Allow it to be negated by 2 (or 3) activators when played.
- Allow it to be hit with any amount of activators as it comes into play defensively, reducing the number of activators needed when its played. (This can even be combined with the activator dump idea)
- Only require 3 activators to shut down DoW.
- (idea i thought of now). Allow a person to draw a replacement card (discard duplicates) when hitting DoW with an activator

Some food for thought/discussion.

Take care guys

Going from 4 to 3 is still the same impact, you're essentially playing passive during your 3 activator turns while your opponent dishes out attacks.

I like the idea about attacking it as a defensive action -- but still not reducing the number of activators needed.

Replacing cards is an interesting one, I would say it merits some playing testing.

chuu

ok,that's fine but there's still the question of the who and how many? Also, how long the process would take.

Jack

Quote from: chuu on March 16, 2015, 01:41:43 PM
ok,that's fine but there's still the question of the who and how many? Also, how long the process would take.
I don't see why it needs to be restricted to a subset of people. You should target people who have regular meetups -- our April one is probably a good bet. Alas it would be nice to include them into OPO but that's beyond my scope.

How long? That's a tough one, if you expect concept->release in a calendar year, that's way too short depending on the size of the set.

Another idea for releasing images of the set would be to make them grayscale, watermark them, leave out the actual image, etc. Playing testing doesn't need to be something fancy since we're only dealing with the card text.

chuu

Wow...that sounds like it's going to take a long time...lol

I was hoping it would just be taking all the cards that I had created and determining whether they are overpowered or not, then making some changes to the ones deemed too powerful.  This, that you are proposing Jack is building the set from the ground up.  I understand that I built the set myself but I used current characters (Star Jammers, X-man, Spawn, Reavers etc...) to balance my characters.  I also followed the unwritten rules like, characters with a 7 and a 6 stat in their grid or higher can't have an inherent. Also, characters with two 7s or an 8 in their grids can't have negates and so forth...

Jack

It doesn't have to be from the ground up, your set is what you make of it.

chuu

You sound like a life coach...lol

Quote from: Jack on March 16, 2015, 03:19:20 PM
It doesn't have to be from the ground up, your set is what you make of it.

breadmaster

BigBadHarve

mr brown

DOW issue, i like the idea of chain of activators played all at once. as many that are in your hand but keep the number to remove at four. as far as playing activators as a   defensive response still keep the number to remove DOW at four, but make DOW immune to KL cards like cpt Britain's battleworthy, or little iceman.