OP Cup 2015

Started by Jack, May 27, 2015, 12:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MHC

Quote from: breadmaster on June 11, 2015, 08:10:48 PM
once a character is on a winning team, they would be retired.  I would include varaiants, clones and 3-stat versions

by my count there are 8 different characters that can use AO-negates.  if there are 4 tournaments a year, the rosters could be reset, and all characters become available every 2 years.  sure, this will switch up deckbuilding, but that is the goal

To be blunt, this seems like a bad set up.  First, all of the good negate characters are going to be banned fairly quickly (e.g., Beast, Mojo, Reavers, and S. Witch).  This leaves players with one of two options: (1) play a much worse negate character (e.g. mole man) or (2) don't play a negate character.  Because of this, the meta-game will consist of a bunch of combo decks that can't be kept in check by the bad negate characters (e.g., Draw 3 based decks) and decks that are forced to play the bad negate characters solely because they have a negate.  Second, assuming that the winning team always has a negate character, a logical consequence of this is that after two years every tournament will consist of teams that either (1) are playing the only available negate character or (2) are not playing a negate character (because all others are banned).  While team diversity may increase in the short run (first year), team diversity will definitely decline in the long run (2+ years). 

More generally, I don't think there is any reason why banning characters is better than the option I proposed (ban/errata specials; ban characters as last resort).  For example, you could always ban a character's AO special, which would then allow players to decide whether they still want to play that character (in a different role) or not.

steve2275

banning?
when did overpower become magic:the gathering

sure hearing about players using the same ole teams over and over again gets stale 
but they still have the right to choose those teams
id love to hear that a team did well with a dr.strange and the x-men deck or and all EJ team
but i wont hold my breath

DerKire

What time does the tournament start? What kind of tournament is it? I assume round robin. What is the rule of chaining attacks on DoW?

Jack

We mostly use swiss+elimination in our tournaments.

OP King

Friday night tournament starts around 6 or 630 and Saturdays tournament starts at 10 am. Yes we will continue to allow chained attacks against DOW.

Jack

August 8th at 10 am our main event for OP CUP 2015 will commence.

This will be 8 rounds of swiss format, 35 minute rounds. The top 8 players will play in a single elimination, no time limit format until we have a Champion.

All legally built decks will be allowed for this event (marvels set) included. All proxies will be permitted to play regardless of what the picture on the card looks like. Please do your best to play the original art work when possible to prevent confusion. The prize list for this event will be announced tomorrow evening. I'm expecting somewhere between 15-20 players to attend this event. I'm opening up my home for anyone that needs a place to stay, if needed.

Prize List for Saturday:

All players that attend will receive door prize.
1. $175 cash----trophy/OP CUP
2. $125 cash
3. Tiffany 5 multi-power
4. 8 Any-power
5&6- Will receive original art work from a local artist, which is made on actual Overpower back (will be playable in future events) a special thanks Keith Bursack for the cards. NO HINTS
7. New set of Marvels
8. Malebolgia Hero

OP GOD

Prizes 5 & 6.  Look awesome!!!

The store looks amazing too!!

M

OP GOD
OP GOD

~ To play me, is an HONOUR.

BasiliskFang

Winner 5&6, please post pix

joe_fixit

Quote from: OP King on June 17, 2015, 07:15:55 PM
Friday night tournament starts around 6 or 630 and Saturdays tournament starts at 10 am. Yes we will continue to allow chained attacks against DOW.

What type of tournament will the Friday night event be?

OP King

Friday nights tournament is any legal deck. However we are not allowing any negates to be played. (expect Bastion or via battlesite)
And no cards can be played by the reserve hero. Meaning no specials or power cards can be played from reserve. Only way to play cards from reserve is through an event.

chuu

i'm thinking that there will be some FF decks...LOL

OP King

Good, bring on the FF

Skeletaur

QuoteFriday nights tournament is any legal deck. However we are not allowing any negates to be played. (expect Bastion or via battlesite)
And no cards can be played by the reserve hero. Meaning no specials or power cards can be played from reserve. Only way to play cards from reserve is through an event.

By no negates, do you mean no AO cards? Can other cards that stop specials from being played or counter specials be used?

OP King

Are you referring to cards like Inhumans EE special? If that's what your asking then the answer is yes.