Overpower Tournament Today.... Will post results

Started by DerKire, November 14, 2015, 12:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerKire

Overpower Tournament today. We had 10 players registered. Here are the decks that were registered. I am playing in the tournament but will try and update. If anyone is interested in deck list or want to know more about the decks I will be certain to ask the player. There should be pictures as well at the convention by their people. I will try and have them send to me.

Player         Frontline                                            Reserve        Homebase                    Battlesites/Any Heroes
Robert M.      Ghost Rider/Starjammers/Ice Man:The Iceman   Silver Sable     Any Heroes                    Team Overpower
Brett J.           Spawn/Starjammers/Scarlet Witch                           Dr. Strange        Any Heroes                    Team Overpower
Shannon D.   Namor:Mariner/Invisible Women/Human Torch       Thing               Four Freedom Plaza    The Outback
Tyler P.      Team X/Maverick/X-Babies                              Sarbretooth       Any Heroes                    Team Overpower
Mark S.      Cyclops/Ice Man: The Iceman/X-Men First Class   Sunfire        Marvel Universe            Onslaught Citadel                                       
Robert D.      Magneto/Spawn/X-Man                                      Velocity        Marvel Universe            Ship      
Jeff B.      Captain America/Deadpool/Punisher                   Wolverine        Team Overpower             Any Heroes
David K.      Heroes for Hire/Sentinels/Holocaust                           Thing        Marvel Universe            Concrete Jungle
Jim B.      Spawn/Invisible Women: Malice/Mojo                   Dr. Strange     Omniverse                      Hell's Kitchen
Ryan C.      Mercury/Landslide/Crux                                 Rapture        Cape Citadel                     Krokoa   

chuu

sounds like a good tournament!  my money is on David K or Jim B

DerKire

Sorry... When I typed this on the laptop it was not as discombobulated. I thought I had everything lined up. After six rounds of swiss there are four teams left. We are starting shortly with the final four. Three any heroes and one battlesite.

Robert M- Ghost Rider/Starjammers/Ice Man:The Iceman/Silver Sable(R)
Brett J- Spawn/Starjammers/Scarlet Witch/Dr. Strange(R)
David K- H4H/Sentinels/Holocaust/Thing(R)
Tyler P- Team X/Maverick/X-Babies/Sabretooth(R)

Jack

PlayerFrontlineReserveHomebaseBattlesites/Any Heroes
Robert M.Ghost Rider/Starjammers/Ice Man:The IcemanSilver SableAny HeroesTeam Overpower
Brett J.Spawn/Starjammers/Scarlet WitchDr. StrangeAny HeroesTeam Overpower
Shannon D.Namor:Mariner/Invisible Women/Human TorchThingFour Freedom PlazaThe Outback
Tyler P.Team X/Maverick/X-BabiesSarbretoothAny HeroesTeam Overpower
Mark S.Cyclops/Ice Man: The Iceman/X-Men First ClassSunfireMarvel UniverseOnslaught Citadel
Robert D.Magneto/Spawn/X-ManVelocityMarvel UniverseShip
Jeff B.Captain America/Deadpool/PunisherWolverineTeam OverpowerAny Heroes
David K.Heroes for Hire/Sentinels/HolocaustThingMarvel UniverseConcrete Jungle
Jim B.Spawn/Invisible Women: Malice/MojoDr. StrangeOmniverseHell's Kitchen
Ryan C.Mercury/Landslide/CruxRaptureCape CitadelKrokoa

That should make it a bit easier to ready. Have fun!

DerKire

The winner is.... Tyler Phillips.

1st- Team X/Maverick/X-Babies/Sabretooth
2nd- Spawn/Starjammers/Scarlet Witch/ Dr. Strange
3rd- Ghost Rider/Starjammers/Ice-Man: The Iceman/ Silver Sable
4th- H4H/Sentinels/Holocaust/Thing

I have a few of the decklist if anyone is interested. I do know that 4 of the players are willing to travel for tournaments. Not sure when the next one will be taking place here in Illinois. As I have mentioned before, we have a solid 6 players local and a few within 60-90 miles away.

BlueFire

Sounds like an Awesome turnout.  I personally like that 2nd place deck ;)

The next big event will be the K2 Challenge in State College PA on March 11th and 12th. 
The event is at the Atherton hotel for the 3rd straight year.  Mention the overpower tournament when booking your hotel room to get a special $95 / night room rate (plus taxes and parking).  Last years event had 19 and we are expecting to be in the 20s this year.  If you have any questions please feel to send me a message or post questions here.

Phil Keffer

DerKire

Bluefire-I was happy with the turnout. We had a gaming convention in town and had a lot of people watching and saying that they remembered this game, and still have cards. Hopefully we can grow this to something similar that you guys have. I have talked with the play group about traveling. Tough with families, but it looks like we have agreed to span out about 8 hours away which happens to be Columbus, OH(August). Spawnjammers is a tough deck to play against. Has everything you need to be successful all in one deck. With only 10 decks today, there were three decks with Spawn, and two decks with Starjammers. So having them both, is a win all in their own.

Chuu- H4H deck was fighting an uphill battle with the other 3 teams in the final four having DoW. We do play the activator dump here as well, but its so difficult to come back from an early DoW which happened to David.

We do play best 2 out of 3 in the finals. Do you do the same in your tournaments?

BlueFire

We play 1 game with no time limit for the entire single elimination top 8, including the final.

Honestly though, we find it better for the community as a whole for long shots to have a chance at winning the tournament.  While the best deck / player won't always win the tournament, it's a lot more exciting that way.  We had a year of only top 4 single eliminate and we switched back to top 8 for this reason.

chuu

BigBadHarve

Quote from: DerKire on November 14, 2015, 08:36:57 PM

Chuu- H4H deck was fighting an uphill battle with the other 3 teams in the final four having DoW. We do play the activator dump here as well, but its so difficult to come back from an early DoW which happened to David.

It looks similar to my H4H deck - except for Holocaust instead of Witch. What mission was he running? The mission is key - I use Maximum Carnage for the best anti-Any tactic.

DerKire

Maximum Carnage. No opd, and move hero to reserve.