K2 Challenge 2017

Started by BlueFire, January 22, 2017, 05:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFire

The 4th annual K2 Challenge

Where: The Atherton Hotel State College PA

When:  March 4th (fun games and playtesting new rules on the 3rd)

Same rules as last years 4 major events except a-next may now be placed to all homebases

Format is again 7 rounds of Swiss followed by Top 8.

Entry fee: same as last year,  $25 usd

Prizes: Slowly being announced over time.  Original art for cosmic control rod is in!

Please mention the overpower tournament, for the best hotel rate, when calling the Atherton

Fun times ahead!!!

BlueFire

Original opd art for Leader is in the prize pool.

"The Regeneration Crystal"

clericblackdave

I'm really excited that K2 is just a little over a month away!  Another chance for me to lose to some great players.  JUST KIDDING, I'm winning it all this year! =P

I've been a bit more quiet than I intended as the elected "commissioner", but that's mostly been due to some increased professional responsibilities as well as fatherhood.

That said, I'm excited that we all voted to ratify for the main event at K2 and moving forward that A-Next may be placed to any homebase (not just Team OverPower).  This was a common-sense rule tweak that we all felt didn't need Friday-Tournament testing.

That said, I'm excited about the prospect of testing some new rules at the Friday Tournament.  3 rules will be tested:

• Doubleshots may be used to defend either character who is contributing to the defense. (This should make Tactics easier to understand for play, and more useful as potential defenses against JW's used versus non-8-rank characters). 
  • Training and Basic Universe Cards count towards damage when used offensively.  (slight increase in their usefulness)  They are separate hits to remove as well.  Basic Universe hits DO contain the icon for purpose of determine spectrum; Training Universe hits do not.  They also count as "a hit" separate from the power card they are modifying (just like how AE specials work)
  • Additional Homebase ability:
    A homebase may have up to two (2) cards placed to it – an aspect, AND a character-specific special card from the active team (new rule). This acts as an additional placing spot for the team (this evens the placement disadvantage they had versus Team OP); however the special card is only playable by the character to whom it belongs.  Exception – the Team Overpower homebase (and its variants) may place an Any-hero or activator to this spot, but may NOT use the ability to place one of its team's specials.

In addition, I am excited about the idea, moving forward, of creating some NEW cards to address flaws in the game that we are all aware of.  For instance - the original character that have the AJ special - opponent must reveal 2 specials in hand, or reveal special cards, etc.  or heroes stuck with draw 1 card, do not discard if duplicate, etc.

I didn't even attempt to push debate / discussion on that this offseason, but I'd like to have an open forum and brainstorming session on broken mechanics, rules, and new cards where we could discuss ideas moving forward.  Perhaps before or after the Friday event.  Something real informal, just some good banter/debate.

There are also a number of vendors doing card printing, so I don't see logistics being a problem.  I expect to pick Jack's brain on how he printed his fantastic Marvels Set.

I have email a large group on players on this, posted this here, and to our governance slack located at:

https://overpowergovernance.slack.com/

If you want an invite to participate in slack, email me at  David.B.McMillan@gmail.com .  its like a forum but with push notifications (if you so choose) and really fluent ability to embed links, cut and paste images, audio, video seamless, etc.  It also operates real time versus a plain message board.

For any questions or issues, reply back via ANY channel of communication, and I'll get back to you.  My cell is 443 690 6814 if you felt like talking, just Text me first before calling.

Best,

David B McMillan
OP Commissioner

MHC

Hi David,

I have a few clarification questions about the rules:

1) "Basic Universe hits DO contain the icon for purpose of determine spectrum":  Does this means that a 6I+3 basic universe combined with a 4M would count as two separate icons towards spectrum KO?
2) "They are separate hits to remove as well":  Just to be clear, the only way to remove a basic universe hit would be a special that says "remove one hit" or "remove all hits", right?  In particular, EE specials (e.g., X-Man: Street Prophet) would not work.
3)(a) "A homebase may have up to two (2) cards placed to it:an aspect AND a character-specific special card from the active team (new rule)": Again, just to be clear, this does include Marvel Universe and Marvel Manhattan, right?
(b) Is it correct that "character-specific special" is meant to exclude any characters that can be placed (e.g., Bastion)?
4)(a) "however the special card is only playable by the character to whom it belongs": Would it be more correct to have this stated as "however the special card is only playable by any character allowed/able to play that special".   There are two situations I am interested in:
(a) a team with multiple characters that use the same specials, e.g., Inhumans and Crystal or any Beyonder team
(b) a team where a special card allows a character to play another character's specials, e.g., Green Goblin: Goblin Legacy or Spawn: Living Costume

BigBadHarve

Quote from: MHC on February 03, 2017, 11:56:26 PM
Hi David,

I have a few clarification questions about the rules:

1) "Basic Universe hits DO contain the icon for purpose of determine spectrum":  Does this means that a 6I+3 basic universe combined with a 4M would count as two separate icons towards spectrum KO?
2) "They are separate hits to remove as well":  Just to be clear, the only way to remove a basic universe hit would be a special that says "remove one hit" or "remove all hits", right?  In particular, EE specials (e.g., X-Man: Street Prophet) would not work.
3)(a) "A homebase may have up to two (2) cards placed to it:an aspect AND a character-specific special card from the active team (new rule)": Again, just to be clear, this does include Marvel Universe and Marvel Manhattan, right?
(b) Is it correct that "character-specific special" is meant to exclude any characters that can be placed (e.g., Bastion)?
4)(a) "however the special card is only playable by the character to whom it belongs": Would it be more correct to have this stated as "however the special card is only playable by any character allowed/able to play that special".   There are two situations I am interested in:
(a) a team with multiple characters that use the same specials, e.g., Inhumans and Crystal or any Beyonder team
(b) a team where a special card allows a character to play another character's specials, e.g., Green Goblin: Goblin Legacy or Spawn: Living Costume

1 - Yes
2 - Also correct. You can remove a BU as you would remove any other card.
3 - a) Correct. Marvel Universe and Manhattan benefit from this rule. Team OP does not.
     b) Also correct. Any-Heroes may not be placed using this rule. (Obviously except Team OP)
4 - a) Yes, a better wording will be considered in the end. But any variant/clone capable to playing the card may access it. (beyonder, etc.)
      b) Also yes, once the condition that allows them access to the card is in play that is. You should note, though, in the case of Green Goblin's Goblin legacy, when Legacy is in play, then those two cards (Exploding Pumpkin and Gauntlet Blaster) become 'Any Heroes' and must be treated as Any Heroes for the remainder of the game, thus would not be placeable.

MHC

Thanks BBH!

"You should note, though, in the case of Green Goblin's Goblin legacy, when Legacy is in play, then those two cards (Exploding Pumpkin and Gauntlet Blaster) become 'Any Heroes' and must be treated as Any Heroes for the remainder of the game, thus would not be placeable."

Thanks for pointing this out.  I did not realize that subtlety. 

EDIT (because double posting is not allowed):

Below are a few suggestions for altering the card types you listed.  Note that CHARACTER = the character that played the special.
1) "Opponent must reveal 2 specials in hand":  Change this to "Opponent must reveal two specials in hand and discard one of CHARACTER'S choice."  Similarly change "opponent must reveal all specials in hand" to "Opponent must reveal all specials in hand and discard one of CHARACTER'S choice".  - This makes those card playable, but not a guaranteed hit.  This would help make some characters more playable and I don't think the change has any downside.  It is also probably worth noting that attacking an opponent's hand directly is an under utilized aspect of the game; most cards that do this are OPDs (e.g., Colossus discard 3, Banshee discard all fighting, etc). 
2) For the OPDs that reveal an opponent's hand (e.g., Doc Samson), I suggest upgrading those to "Opponent must reveal hand and discard one card of CHARACTER'S choice.  Opponent must play open handed for remainder of battle."  Since the special can hit any card in hand and reveals all cards, I think the OPD status is appropriate still. 
3) "Draw 1 card, do not discard if duplicate": A straightforward upgrade is to change all of those to "Draw 3 cards. Discard duplicates."  This would automatically make all of those characters much more playable, especially those that don't see any play right now (e.g., Doctor Doom and Gambit), in addition to making making the high costs of Cable, Iron Man, and Super Skrull worthwhile.  Note that this across-the-board upgrade results in  Storm and Robin having two different draw specials (Gathering Winds and Surfing the Net, respectively). This change definitely makes those two much stronger, but I don't think it overpowers either (however I haven't tested this yet). 
4) "You may look at top 2 cards in opponent's Draw Pile": While looking at Doctor Doom's cards I came across this gem.  I'm really at a loss for how to upgrade this card while still maintaining some of it's original functionality. It is worth noting that any change to this card would also affect Any Character: Batcave.

clericblackdave

Great answers, Big Bad Harve!  And all 100% correct.

Good questions MHC

And if it wasn't clear, these rules are rules we are TESTING by playing them at the Friday tournament.  Only after testing them will be vote, regarding ratification for real events, either a) HELL NO  b) needs more testing, or c) good to go, next events will include them.

I like the idea of making the viewing specials have some sort of discarding mechanic.  the only question is, how?

In one discussion we had toyed around with the idea of printing/creating a new class of card, "Strategy", which grants each team 1 inherent ability.  Kind of like another homebase.  This card could modify existing cards without having to reprint them all.  For example, if a Strategy card was called "Sabotage - Spies, Psychics, and Seeers" and the writing way that "For any special played that reveals card from opponents hand or draw pile, opponent must discard 1 card of your choice" etc.

That would make the Dr. Doom card able to kill future events!

This is spit-balling.  I'd like to fix a few of the old cards before creating new card.  Artifact and doubleshots are broken.  BU and TU's are broken.  Some stuff like that, personally, I'd like our group to attempt to fix first. 

OP GOD

OP minions this announcement has great importance to you....

It is your OP GOD with words, so pull up your media screen and settle in.

***I WARN ALL WHO ATTEMPT TO CLIMB K2 THIS YEAR***

This is my Mountain!

It took me THREE years to finally get to the TOP and Destroy all before me.  I have meditated long and deeply.  During my meditations a fellow God, neigh, an ancient God visited me.  This world knows him as ENKI, through sumerian mythos, do your own research.  The Meanings of the symbols he showed me are truly none of your concern, but I wanted to show you a glimpse of how deep this knowledge embarked on me had come.  A Deck Design was gifted to me.  A Deck is how I explain it, but a weapon would be a better description. 

Save your money... I implore you to just stay home.

There is no way this deck will lose this tournament.  Call this a "Babe Ruth moment" if you must, I am pointing to the upper deck!

***YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED***

On a more casual note, I look forward to meeting and hanging out with all of you that do make the trip.  Excited for the side chats and OP Debates at the Bar.

------------------

Commissioner ~ Statement ~ "Interesting rule thoughts, I will be present to put my words on the table.  Prepare my CHAIR!"

***Answer please ***Commissioner ~ Question ~ "when using a training card, with boost of +4.  The card has a dual suite use ability option, does this dual suite count towards spectrum?  Obvious answer being no, then how would I keep track of suite choice? Say it is attacked one way and accepted, then the power card portion is subsequently removed? What is the outcome - a dual suited open spectrum universe hit?"

This is now the end of the announcement, you may return to your lives.

Marcel
OP GOD
OP GOD

~ To play me, is an HONOUR.

clericblackdave

For the new rules that we're testing, Trainings count to numerical damage, but not spectrum.  They will NOT be a half multi.

Only basic universe cards will contain the icon.

This will give basic universe cards some extra value if combined with a multi, for instance, Tiffany.

AO user

For the "look at two cards" specials, could we add return one card to the top, the other to the bottom(or dead pile)...?  Putting an 8 pc in deadpile might be fun....

MHC

From clericblackdave:
"I like the idea of making the viewing specials have some sort of discarding mechanic.  the only question is, how?"

My thought was just to do an errata and not print off new versions of the cards.  While more involved, it is analogous to rule changing that changed draw 3s to OPD.  Some sort of blanket statement like: All specials that read "Reveal X cards of TYPE Y" have "Discard one of those cards" added to their effect. 

From AO user:
For the "look at two cards" specials, could we add return one card to the top, the other to the bottom(or dead pile)...?  Putting an 8 pc in deadpile might be fun...

My only worry with this kind of an effect is that it is still card disadvantage.  No one runs the "Discard top 5 cards of draw pile to dead pile" specials.

Relatedly, I've often thought that draw pile reduction was an underdeveloped aspect of the game.  One way to make it more feasible  would be to replace the above "Discard top 5... " specials with "Discard top 8...."; the max number is probably 10 cards.   A 56-card deck only has 7 8-card hands.  Upgrading the specials (I think) would allow for a deck with three of the species (2 front line characters+battlesite) to be a legitimate strategy. 

justa

Quote from: MHC on February 15, 2017, 05:33:35 PM

Relatedly, I've often thought that draw pile reduction was an underdeveloped aspect of the game.  One way to make it more feasible  would be to replace the above "Discard top 5... " specials with "Discard top 8...."; the max number is probably 10 cards.   A 56-card deck only has 7 8-card hands.  Upgrading the specials (I think) would allow for a deck with three of the species (2 front line characters+battlesite) to be a legitimate strategy. 

check out justabgkid's overpower emporium.  the "burn" strategy is close to what you are thinking of.  (unfortunately the "burn", "rush", and "swarm" strategies were all he completed before life got in the way.)

Skeletaur

Quote from: clericblackdave on February 03, 2017, 10:09:07 AM
In addition, I am excited about the idea, moving forward, of creating some NEW cards to address flaws in the game that we are all aware of.  For instance - the original character that have the AJ special - opponent must reveal 2 specials in hand, or reveal special cards, etc.  or heroes stuck with draw 1 card, do not discard if duplicate, etc.

I suggest that we allow these cards to be played defensively. What do you guys think? Would they make these cards viable?

AO user

Listening to zepplin's immigrant song as i drive thru the ice and snow of PA to arrive at K2.  See y'all soon!