And the results are in...!

Started by BigBadHarve, May 01, 2011, 12:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Okay everyone, here are the results of the day!

It was a good meetup, with a very nice variety of decks. I think my sentiments were echoed by everyone in attendance about how much fun the variety of teams was. A couple of old school Heroes for Hire teams, a few homebases. It was all good.

It was interesting, as well, with all the different teams there were very few 'roll overs' most battles could have gone either way. Once or twice a team just got trounced, but for the most part everyone had to earn their win.

@ Onslaught – Larry did indeed come in with a Four Freedoms plaza deck, fully aware of both our errata and the pseudo aspect rule. Larry was unfortunately caught off guard by the 'Marvels.' Neither he, nor Jason had even heard of them! I wish I'd known that in advance, I would have made sure that they were aware of the options. We showed Larry some of the Marvel's cards on Jack's computer, he loved them and plans to make use of them for the next one. They both did well regardless, making it to the finals.

Top prize went to Hot Rod, who took 1st place in the final match against Ted C. (Jack's Cousin)

Ncannelora is our pool prize winner – so if you PM me your mailing address I'll fire those MegaPowers off to you on Monday!

I sat one pair of players for each round in the "hotseat" and we recorded them playing. Jack's going to play around with the video and will have a link when he's ready.

So, without further ado – The players, their decks and their results!

Hot Rod – Marvel Universe homebase - Heroes For Hire, Marauders, Phoenix, Hawkeye (r)– Onslaught's Citadel Battlesite.

Ted C – Cape Citadel Homebase – Landslide, Crux, Rapture, Mercury (r) – Any Heroes

Larry Van Etten – Four Freedoms Plaza  homebase– Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Invisible Woman, Namor: Submariner (r) – Onslaught's Citadel  battlesite.

The Breadmaster – Asteroid M homebase – Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Rogue: Brotherhood, Quicksilver (r) – Outback Battlesite

Zippa-Head – Team Overpower homebase – Mr. Fantastic, Dark Beast, Iron Man, Silver Sable (r) – Any Heroes

Jason Van Etten – Marvel Universe Homebase – Heroes for Hire, Spawn, X-babies, Flash (r) – Any Heroes

D'arcy (Zippa's Brother) – Team Overpower Homebase – Captain America, Sabretooth, Bishop, Kingpin (r) – Any Heroes

Pass the Gestalt – Marvel Universe Homebase – Beyonder, X-babies, X-man, 3 Stat Hawkeye (r) – Sanctum Sanctorum battlesite.

David L. – Dept. H Homebase – Deadpool, Omega Red, Sabretooth, Wolverine (r) – Danger Room Battlesite.

Matt G. – Team Overpower Homebase – Zealot, Wonder Woman, Black Cat, Sabretooth (r) – Any Heroes

Bamf! – Team Overpower Homebase – Onslaught, Donald Pierce, Holocaust, X-man (r) – Any Heroes

Jack – Marvel Universe – Captain America, Zealot, Wonder Woman, 3 stat spider woman (r) – Outback Battlesite

The matchups  -

Round 1:

Pass the Gestalt VS Ted C  = Pass the Gestalt was the victor
Hot Rod VS Zippa Head = Zippa Head was the victor
D'arcy VS Dave L. – D'arcy was the victor
Jason Van E. VS Jack – Jason was the victor
Matt G. VS – Larry Van E. – Matt G. Was the victor
Bamf! VS Breadmaster – Breadmaster was the victor

Round 2:

Matt G VS Breadmaster – Breadmaster was the victor
Jason Van E. VS Zippa Head – Jason was the victor
Pass the Gestalt VS D'arcy – D'arcy was the victor
Ted C. VS Dave L – Ted C. was the victor
Jack VS Larry Van E. – Larry Van E was the victor
Bamf! VS – Hot Rod – Hot Rod was the victor

Round 3:

Larry Van E VS Breadmaster – Breadmaster was the victor
Jason Van E VS D'arcy – Jason Van E was the victor
Ted C VS Hot Rod – Hot Rod was the Victor
Zippa Head VS Pass the Gestalt – Zippa was the victor
Jack VS David L – Jack was the victor
Bamf! VS Matt G.  – Bamf! was the victor

Round 4:

Hot Rod VS Breadmaster – Hot Rod was the victor
Jason Van E – VS Bamf! – Jason Van E was the victor
Zippa Head VS Jack – Zippa head was the victor
Matt G. VS Pass the Gestalt – Pass the Gestalt was the victor
Ted C. VS D'arcy – Ted C. was the victor
David L. VS Larry Van E – Larry was the victor.

After four rounds of swiss, Jason Van E. was the favourite, with 4 wins and 0 losses, with Hot Rod, Breadmaster and Zippa Head standing strong with a 3-1 record each.

The following made the elimination rounds:

Jason Van E. (4-0)
Hot Rod (3-1)
Zippa Head (3-1)
Breadmaster (3-1)
Larry Van E. (2-2)
D'arcy (2-2)
Ted C. (2-2)
Pass the Gestalt (2-2)

Commencing the elimination, the pairings were:

Jason Van E. VS Hot Rod – Hot Rod took the win.
Breadmaster VS – Pass the Gestalt – Breadmaster took the win.
Ted. C VS  - Zippa Head – Ted C. took the win.
Larry Van E VS D'arcy – Larry took the win.

Semi Finals:

Hot Rod VS Breadmaster – Hot Rod took the win.
Ted C VS Larry Van E – Ted C took the win.

Final round:

Hot Rod VS Ted C – with Hot Rod taking the win and the Holo Hero!

Ted C. got a nice consolation prize of $36 of store credit at Hairy Tarantula comics, the store that let us host the event!

Pictures were taken, Jack should hopefully post them shortly.

Larry and Jason had a great time, and plan to return to our future events. We'll definitely be doing more, with momentum growing like it is. I've fielded some queries about the next one - more information as we lock things in!

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Thank you for the awesome organization, BBH!!  :)
Very cool stuff here! I totally want to get in on such a huge tournament!
@HotRod, super-grateful for the win, too!  8)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

CoS

Well... HotRod was my first pick ;$

gameplan.exe

Quote from: CoS on May 01, 2011, 02:04:20 AM
Well... HotRod was my first pick ;$

well, we clearly both have an eye for talent  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Congrats to Hot Rod! Sounds like the tournament was a lot of fun.

Onslaught

Damnit Hot Rod, you were supposed to use Fall's Edge Compound! Vertigo + Phoenix probably crushed the Four Freedoms deck though (well, Vertigo + anything crushes anything without a negate really).

Lots of interesting decks (any novel uses of Events? The mission sets aren't listed so I was just curious), good job everyone.

BBH, did you get to play any pickup games inbetween rounds? I hope you at least got a few fun matches in afterwards as a reward for running the whole tournament.

Eagerly awaiting the videos, thanks for providing so much coverage of all this.

Kal-el

Hope everyone had fun. Can't wait to see more from the tournament.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Onslaught on May 01, 2011, 11:16:52 AM
Lots of interesting decks (any novel uses of Events? The mission sets aren't listed so I was just curious), good job everyone.

Yea I was wondering overall how much events played a roll in the various matches being won or lost.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Sorry guys, I didn't write down the missions. There were a lot of site decks running Infinity Gauntlet, and a few Any Hero decks running Shattered Image.

Jason Van Etten was knocked out of Elimination because of the Gods of Stone event played by Hot Rod. Jason was running Marvel Universe and not Team OverPower, and drew his Leech, Bastion AND DoW in a Gods of stone round. Without Team Overpower, he wasn't able to place any of them.

Interestingly, Ted C. wasn't able to really capitalize on his 'No Activators' event against Hot Rod in the finals, because he also drew his own DoW in that same round but Hot Rod conceded before the battle. I think that was ultimately what turned the tide for Hot Rod. Had Ted been able to get DoW in play, Hot Rod would have gone down. Ted's Next draw included his Leech, but with the battlesite active, Hot Rod easily stopped it.

Breadmaster was running Assault on Onslaught
Matt G. had Fatal Attractions
Larry Van Etten was running Infinity Gauntlet

If anyone else who was there remembers what people were running, please chime in.

@ Onslaught - I was able to get a match in with Pass The Gestalt before everyone else arrived. But there really wasn't time to play during the day, and the store closed 20 minutes after we wrapped up. It's all good. I made the choice not to participate, small price to pay to slowly build up a regular following of players. There were at least 6 more players in the area who want to come to the next one, plus Larry mentioned a network of people he was going to invite to the next one as well. We are growing!

Jack and I discussed the notion of alternating between who offers up the prize support - the notion being that whoever offers the prizes also sets the stage for house rules or themes. I most certainly want someone else to offer up some prizing so I have a fun chance to get crushed in my attempt to achieve glory! :P  Larry has certainly offered to be a source for prizing, which is cool. The ideal thing would be to have a dedicated moderator, who isn't competing. It does take a little time to sort the info and assign match ups.

And Jack did give me one of his spiffy OverPower T-Shirts!   ;D

We took a lot of photos, I imagine Jack will have those up soon, before the video is ready.

The next big meet up will be in June. No tournament, just casual fun. After that, the August meet up will be another tournament. That give us a few months to plan, figure out prizing and get the word out.

-BBH

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on May 01, 2011, 06:38:33 PM
We took a lot of photos, I imagine Jack will have those up soon, before the video is ready.

Hard to wait but I thought there must be a LOT of photos as part of the reason for delay.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

I'll delay it one more day, just transitioning back to my other home and settling in before going back to work.

drdeath25

So which Holo Hero did Hot Rod end up adding to his collection?

Jack

Jason van Etten

Jack (Me, sporting my cool OP shirt!)

zippa_head

Hot Rod

Teddy

Pass the Gestalt

Dave

D'Arcy

Matt

The Orange King swoops into Toronto! (Larry van Etten)

It's a crown, not a hat!

bamf!

breadmaster

D'Arcy vs Pass the Gestalt

Matt vs breadmaster, with my camera rig in the middle (video of this match coming soon!)

Hot Rod vs bamf!

zippa_head vs Jason van Etten

Larry vs Jack

Pass the Gestalt vs zippa_head

Jason van Etten vs D'Arcy (video of their match also recorded!)

Background - Hot Rod vs Teddy
Foreground - Dave vs Jack

Hot Rod vs Teddy

bamf! vs Matt

breadmaster vs The Orange King

Dave vs The Orange King (video!!)

Pass the Gestalt vs Matt

Jack vs zippa_head

Foreground - Teddy vs D'Arcy

Jason van Etten (The Orange Prince?) vs bamf!

Hot Rod vs breadmaster

Teddy vs zippa_head

breadmaster's characters

Pass the Gestalt's characters

Here's what our gaming corner looked like in the round of 8

The Orange King vs D'Arcy

Jason van Etten vs Hot Rod ??

The first picture of BigBadHarve in this set! He's the person standing up in the white OverPower t-shirt.

No pictures of the semi-finals, I was talking to Pass the Gestalt and forgot all about the pictures. Sorry!

Finals - Teddy vs Hot Rod!

My tripod!

Hot Rod's prize -- a Batman Detective Holo!

gameplan.exe

- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

We need a dedicated camera guy, I tend to forget to snap pictures. Videos I'm okay with and I'm slowly working on encoding them, they are coming in at 600MB from 20GB.