And the results are in...!

Started by BigBadHarve, May 01, 2011, 12:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Grey

Enjoying all the info and pics. You guys rock!

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on May 02, 2011, 12:32:24 AM
this is very, very cool  8) 8)

Yes indeed!  8) 8) 8)

One thing that is 'strange' for me is seeing how everyone places cards perpendicular to the character cards like OP online.  The few folks I play with have always placed cards parallel with the character cards like it's illustrated in the first rulebook.  :D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

CoS

Dave vs The Orange King (video!!)

****This was my favorite method of shuffling during college. Make a pile of all the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, power cards then shuffle them up into piles against the remainder of the deck (basically the power pack v the dead pile) each stack of 8 would not contain a duplicate this way) Then shuffle them together and let your opponent cut. Drastically reduced duplicates.  however, the modern overpower deck only contains 17-22 power-cards (if that) so it isn't nearly as important as back in the mission control era ;-) GREAT TIMES captured here.

Hot Rod

That damn hippy needs a haircut!

@ Onslaught,

I gave my brother the Fall's Edge deck to run, unfortunately however, he couldn't get there on time due to some awful luck.

The deck I used I've had on the drawing board for about 2 months, but I'd never played it against a live opponent because I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag. (Can anyone spot the easter egg in the photo of my game vs Jason?  The look on BBH's face was priceless!)

-

I have to say playing a somewhat untested radical deck for the first time live was a real challenge.  I made a pretty bad mistake in my first game vs Zippa_Head which may have cost me the game, though I can't say for certain if I would have won that game.  Zippa played really well, and I wont steal his thunder!

Sadly, my second game vs bamf! degenerated into a turkey shoot.  His deck just wouldn't give him a negate (he had Donald Pierce + Holocuast with any heroes), and when it did I had Mutant Countermeasures for it.

My third game against Ted was similar to the above.

The fourth game with breadmaster was a real struggle for me due to poor draws.  I had only HH left by turn 4, due to sacrifices in order to win a 5 bet after I conceded the first hand.  I hadn't seen any Beast activators up to that point, plus with burning half my deck with Image inducer, I knew my only hope was to get into a "venture for the win situation" and pop acrobatics.  With about 20ish cards left in my deck I pulled 2 beasts, and won off Marvel Universe after blocking Magneto's 11.

Man.. the fith game vs Jason was worthy of a finals.  I drew a mediocre hand the first battle, so I placed out and conceded.  The
Second (I think it was the second? it could have been the third) hand was an absolute slug fest.  I bet 4 on this hand if I remember correctly, and went all out.  It came right down to the last card, with me killing his HH, and also leaving Spawn crippled at 15.  I tried to draw out his negate by attacking HH with white tiger after he played an 8 strength as a followup to a teamwork (I figured by destribution he shouldn't have much more defense for HH due to running a split 8 deck and any heroes), this managed to draw out 1 negate.  However, even after playing everything I had down to harpoon, and combat leader, he still had bastion.  He blocked my harpoon, played webhead and negated my combat leader with bastion.

So, at this point I was down to 2 in reserve with 5 in the defeated, and not much time left to play (about 10 minutes).  I didn't draw a whole lot here besides the God's Turned to Stone event, which baked his devourer, and leech.  I can't remember if he conceded before the battle this hand, but I ended up winning it.  By turn 4? (could have been 5)  I killed his Spawn, leaving Flash, and X babies vs my HH, Marauders, and Hawkeye.  There wasn't really anything he could do after I killed his spawn, but he soldiered on and almost won the last hand (due to time) with lil colossus.

This was definitely one of the most amazing games of Overpower I've ever played.  It was actually really cool too, because I managed to find an old name badge from a 1997 Toronto regionals (so I was wearing it for shits and giggles), and apparently this was the regionals he won. (beat Marcel top 4 even)

Sixth game vs breadmaster was a hollow one.  It was a 2, 3, 2.  He couldn't draw enough venture to stop me.

The finals was an absolute heart wrencher.  It'd been a long time since I've played a game this intense, but thankfully after 6 games I'd shaken off most if not all my tournament rust, and went into "card slinger" mode (I hadn't done this in about 5 years!).

First hand I drew mediocre, but I managed to place heavily, and conceded.

Second hand was purely game sense on my part.  He had 2 up on me, with Entrophy Field out, and a bet of 3.  At this point it was looking grim, but I suspected his 3 bet wasn't purely based on his event, as I'd never seen him bet 3 before without a big card.  So I placed more, and conceded again.

I decided the third hand was going to be for all the marbles, and bet 5.  I almost went 4, thinking to leave myself an emergency mission so the game wouldn't hang on this hand, but I came to the conlusion if I was going to go all out on a hand, I better bet everything I've got, because he might concede (he had 5 up on me) it if I threaten to kill most of his team.  This hand ended up being less of a blood bath than I expected, though I still went through the motions.  I probably didn't need to play Apocalyptic Minion, but I wasn't taking any chances.  I felt I had only made 1 mistake all day and it cost me a game, so I wasn't going to be having any of that!

The fourth hand onward was smooth sailing for the most part.  Ted's deck was mostly depleted at this point and there little he could do with what he had left.  Perhaps if he was still playing Xaos frontline he could have stopped me cold on the 3rd hand from mounting such colossal a comeback.  I don't know if he could have won on the second hand by betting 5, forcing me to stay in so he could play his devourer.  The next card on my deck was image inducer if I remember correctly, so it would have come down to a venture push, which I won in the third hand anyway.

I hope you keep playing that deck Ted, but I think you should put Xaos back in!   :P

-

@ ncannelora & CoS

Thanks for picking me to win, I tend to play better when there's something on the line!

@ "The people who didn't pick me first chance"   :P

Have some faith next time!

While I really like this idea of picking someone, and getting a prize if they win, I'd like to see everyone on the forum actually participating, so all the players can get picked (that way nobody feels ostracized due to not getting selected).

Ted played great to get to the finals.  It's a real shame he wasn't picked when there's clearly enough people on the forum for everyone to have a confidant.

Nostalgic

Quote from: CoS on May 02, 2011, 02:05:42 AM
Dave vs The Orange King (video!!)

What video?

Quote from: Hot Rod on May 02, 2011, 02:36:13 AM@ "The people who didn't pick me first chance"   :P

Have some faith next time!

Okay I pick you for the next tournament in August.  :P LOL!  ;D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Jack

We'll have video shortly, I'm still editing them.

Kyle

Some day, I'm gonna have to make a Toronto road trip!

Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhTn9crG5U - 1st Swiss round - Jason vs Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivsuv7mkwRY - 2nd Swiss round - breadmaster vs Matt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJ99xinPNQ - 3rd Swiss round - D'Arcy vs Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JqH_4_-MyE - 4th Swiss round - Larry (The Orange King) vs Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTGyDL8DnrE - Quarter Finals - zippa_head vs Teddy

2 more videos to go and I'll probably put them onto the OverPowerOnline Youtube channel soon after I truncate them down to 15 minutes each.

Nostalgic

Jack

Onslaught

Thanks for uploading everything, I just noticed that the finals are up too. It was neat seeing the mannerisms and rituals of a different Overpower group.

Teddy's finals appearance was impressive considering he wasn't using a deck based around the house rules. Did he play Overpower back when the game was still going on, or did he pick it up recently? Does he play other CCGs?

I saw a lot of potential in his play, so it made me interested in his gaming background.

Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W6tlzi9G64 Finals - Hot Rod vs Teddy

Ted had a decent collection of cards back in the late 90's but only recently expanded his collection (he was mine and bamf!'s playing partner whenever we get together). We probably got "serious" about OP in ~2003 when we discovered the Battlesites and starting buying cards with whatever money we had.

I need to force him to sign up...

EDIT: He kicks ass whenever he plays against us. He ran a FFP deck that neither bamf! or I could defeat until last year when I crushed it with my version of FFP. I think that's when Ted decided to work on new deck ideas.

Onslaught

Speaking of Bamf!, I wish he had been in one of the featured matches. I like his deck choice, so it would have been cool to see how he piloted it. If anyone had a shot of beating house rules defensively played Vertigo, it would have been him with the dual negates. Then again, I forgot the house rules also allow you to play Image Inducer as a defensive action sooo...

Your game against Larry seemed to be a little rough, but it was funny seeing his reaction to Excelsior.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Onslaught on May 04, 2011, 02:21:23 PM
Speaking of Bamf!, I wish he had been in one of the featured matches.

Yeah, sorry about that - I tried to cycle everyone through the hotseat at least once ... A couple of people went twice. I remember telling him it was his turn, but I also recall juggling some pairings around, which meant he was shifted out and I didn't realize he hadn't been recorded until it was too late.

:(

-BBH

breadmaster

ugh...that semi against hot rod is embarassing

half way through the first round, i completely forget about the no permanent record event, and waste my blob teammate avoid in a meanningless fashion

unforgivable