Toronto Meet up #4: Casual fun

Started by BigBadHarve, May 24, 2011, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Hello all!

We have set our day for the next Toronto meet up. It will be on Saturday, June 18th.

I'm still finalizing the space, but aiming for downtown. I'll update later with the address info once it's locked, but June 18th is the day.

The meet up will be casual, come play, trade and have fun.

Jack and I are working on the details for the August event, which will be another tournament. Prizing and rules/theme information will be forthcoming. August 20th is the day, and we're looking at a comic shop owned and operated by a former player who's interested in joining us! Always a bonus.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Cool! Aug 20 might actually be far enough in advance for me to convince my posse to join!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

Tentative prize for August is a Holo character. Nothing confirmed yet.

Nostalgic

More youtube featured matches please.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on May 24, 2011, 02:51:10 PM
Tentative prize for August is a Holo character. Nothing confirmed yet.

That would certainly spice it up! I don't have any Holos (but I definitely want some ;))
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Jack

Karmanal of Zert

So let me get this straight. In Canada you get universal health care and OverPower tournaments??? Not fair, man, not fair.  :'(

Kyle

Quote from: Karmanal of Zert on May 30, 2011, 03:32:47 AM
So let me get this straight. In Canada you get universal health care and OverPower tournaments??? Not fair, man, not fair.  :'(

Well, Canada is a big place, so not ALL of us get to go to the Overpower tournaments.

Karmanal of Zert

My geography's bad, but not that bad.  :P

BigBadHarve

We've confirmed our location for the June 18th meet up as well as our August Tournament.

Heroes World

8601 Warden Avenue (North-East Corner of Hwy #7 & Warden)
Markham Town Square Plaza
Markham, Ontario
L3R 0B5

The Owner is a former Overpower player and is quite happy to see a resurgence in the game.

We'll be sharing the space with a Magic tournament, but soon they will learn why OverPower is mighty!  ;)

Heroes World also wants to host our upcoming August 20th Tournament. Official details aren't confirmed yet, but here's what it's shaping up to be:

Standard constructed deck using Legion (official) rules. 'Marvels' will be allowed, as will certain proxies for extremely rare cards. A full list yet to be determined.

Jack is offering the prizing this time so it's his choice of rules and format. He's said that it will likely be a Ra's Al Ghul Holo Hero for first prize, with additional prizing based on attendance. (He mentioned a potential Assault on Onslaught Mission set as well) None of that is 100% confirmed yet, but I'm just offering a preview. Once we are locked for date and Jack has confirmed the exact prizing, I'll put out the official notice.

I will also likely do another Giveaway/Pool for those who can't attend. MegaPowers, or another Promo bundle again. TBC.

Cheers all!

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 01, 2011, 01:04:37 PM
We've confirmed our location for the June 18th meet up as well as our August Tournament.

Heroes World

8601 Warden Avenue (North-East Corner of Hwy #7 & Warden)
Markham Town Square Plaza
Markham, Ontario
L3R 0B5

The Owner is a former Overpower player and is quite happy to see a resurgence in the game.

We'll be sharing the space with a Magic tournament, but soon they will learn why OverPower is mighty!  ;)

Heroes World also wants to host our upcoming August 20th Tournament. Official details aren't confirmed yet, but here's what it's shaping up to be:

Standard constructed deck using Legion (official) rules. 'Marvels' will be allowed, as will certain proxies for extremely rare cards. A full list yet to be determined.

Jack is offering the prizing this time so it's his choice of rules and format. He's said that it will likely be a Ra's Al Ghul Holo Hero for first prize, with additional prizing based on attendance. (He mentioned a potential Assault on Onslaught Mission set as well) None of that is 100% confirmed yet, but I'm just offering a preview. Once we are locked for date and Jack has confirmed the exact prizing, I'll put out the official notice.

I will also likely do another Giveaway/Pool for those who can't attend. MegaPowers, or another Promo bundle again. TBC.

Cheers all!

-BBH

I really want to be able to get to that August Tournament! it'd be so much fun! It just seems so cost-prohibitive for me to get all the way out there, even if I carpool with a few others.  :'(

Post Merge: July 14, 2011, 01:44:02 PM

The cost of booking a flight from Sacramento to Toronto, right now, for August, is $700+
when you count the cost of driving to and from Sacramento from Redding, you're adding almost another $100.
If I drove the extra bit to S.F. to fly, it drops the ticket price closer to $600, but I'm adding another $100 for the drive.

If I drove from here to Toronto, it would cost me about $750 in gas (depending on exact mileage and prices along the way, of course).

I'm not saying I will, but it seems like driving would be the best option, especially if I can split the cost 2 or 3 ways...
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

What about flying out to Detroit and getting a rental car for the last leg of the trip?

BigBadHarve

Apparently flights to Buffalo are really cheap, and Buffalo is only a two hour drive from Toronto.

We'd love to have you guys out with us, but don't break the bank just to come play some cards.

If you do come, hopefully you can make a good vacation of it. Toronto has tons to offer tourism-wise. The Art Gallery of Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, Hockey Hall of fame, CN Tower, as well the Canadian National Exhibition will be running at that time. And There's Canada's Wonderland if you like amusement parks.

Take in the sites as well as compete in the card tournament. Of course, while you're here we'd make sure to hook up for some casual games.

Another possibility is this - Bios has mentioned that he might come up to Toronto on Vacation next Spring. Possible, but not confirmed. If that happens, what I'll do is schedule a tournament around his visit so he can join in, and if you guys want to come and plan ahead too, we'll make it a two day affair. Sort of like the OP Cup Held in St. Catharine's the year OP died. Multiple theme tournaments as well as a big tournament with a juicy prize. Something like that. Really make the trip worthwhile.

Thoughts?

-BBH

Jack

Fan Expo Toronto is on the 25th to 28th. :(