Toronto Meet up #4: Casual fun

Started by BigBadHarve, May 24, 2011, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 01, 2011, 04:22:53 PM
Apparently flights to Buffalo are really cheap, and Buffalo is only a two hour drive from Toronto.

We'd love to have you guys out with us, but don't break the bank just to come play some cards.

If you do come, hopefully you can make a good vacation of it. Toronto has tons to offer tourism-wise. The Art Gallery of Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, Hockey Hall of fame, CN Tower, as well the Canadian National Exhibition will be running at that time. And There's Canada's Wonderland if you like amusement parks.

Take in the sites as well as compete in the card tournament. Of course, while you're here we'd make sure to hook up for some casual games.

Another possibility is this - Bios has mentioned that he might come up to Toronto on Vacation next Spring. Possible, but not confirmed. If that happens, what I'll do is schedule a tournament around his visit so he can join in, and if you guys want to come and plan ahead too, we'll make it a two day affair. Sort of like the OP Cup Held in St. Catharine's the year OP died. Multiple theme tournaments as well as a big tournament with a juicy prize. Something like that. Really make the trip worthwhile.

Thoughts?

-BBH

Definitely bears researching further. you never know!  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

One rule I'm putting in place for the August tournament is that you can only use Avenger's ID or the 6 Any Power teamwork IF you let me scan it first.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on June 01, 2011, 11:45:04 PM
One rule I'm putting in place for the August tournament is that you can only use Avenger's ID or the 6 Any Power teamwork IF you let me scan it first.

You got it all wrong! We're all about sharing, so no one can use the Any power Teamwork unless they brought enough to share with the rest of us!  :P

-BBH

Ranerdar

Quote from: ncannelora on June 01, 2011, 03:43:29 PM
The cost of booking a flight from Sacramento to Toronto, right now, for August, is $700+
when you count the cost of driving to and from Sacramento from Redding, you're adding almost another $100.
If I drove the extra bit to S.F. to fly, it drops the ticket price closer to $600, but I'm adding another $100 for the drive.

If I drove from here to Toronto, it would cost me about $750 in gas (depending on exact mileage and prices along the way, of course).

I'm not saying I will, but it seems like driving would be the best option, especially if I can split the cost 2 or 3 ways...

If you go to Buffalo it's around $375 from San Francisco and $470 from Sacramento.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 02, 2011, 02:02:50 PM
The cost of booking a flight from Sacramento to Toronto, right now, for August, is $700+
when you count the cost of driving to and from Sacramento from Redding, you're adding almost another $100.
If I drove the extra bit to S.F. to fly, it drops the ticket price closer to $600, but I'm adding another $100 for the drive.

If I drove from here to Toronto, it would cost me about $750 in gas (depending on exact mileage and prices along the way, of course).

I'm not saying I will, but it seems like driving would be the best option, especially if I can split the cost 2 or 3 ways...

If you go to Buffalo it's around $375 from San Francisco and $470 from Sacramento.

Alright, Googler, find out how much it would cost to rent a car from Buffalo up to Toronto for 2 days  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

Quote from: ncannelora on June 02, 2011, 03:41:21 PM

Alright, Googler, find out how much it would cost to rent a car from Buffalo up to Toronto for 2 days  :)

Alamo Rent-A-Car. Economy Car. Pick up 8/20, Drop off 8/21. $48.57 a day.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 03, 2011, 09:38:13 AM
Quote from: ncannelora on June 02, 2011, 03:41:21 PM

Alamo Rent-A-Car. Economy Car. Pick up 8/20, Drop off 8/21. $48.57 a day.

I knew I could count on you, Ranerdar! lol
I don't think that'd be worth it. Again, seems like carpooling would be best... Hey Ranerdar, want to plan a road trip for August?  :D
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

August might be a bit soon for me. But, I'd totally be down for a road trip.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 03, 2011, 07:02:27 PM
August might be a bit soon for me. But, I'd totally be down for a road trip.

Like I said guys, Bios may come next May. With a little co-ordination, we can plan the event around a visit from all of you. Hopefully even lure in some of the others who are within a day's drive of Toronto. Palatinus and Hot Dog Cart have expressed a possible interest in visiting. DaGreatNameless isn't far either. The Orange King and his son have said they hope to come to our tournaments as much as possible. (Being in Buffalo, they're only a 2 hour drive) So I'm sure they'd be down with that. Especially if we could get a tournament weekend with 30-40 people!

An Overpower 2012 spring fling. Could be fun!

-BBH

That gives you time to make your arrangements too.

drdeath25

Ah C'mon Ncanndelora,

You could pick me up in SF. Im SO sure you would love to deal with me being stuck in a car with you for a few days straight.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: drdeath25 on June 04, 2011, 10:21:34 AM
Ah C'mon Ncanndelora,

You could pick me up in SF. Im SO sure you would love to deal with me being stuck in a car with you for a few days straight.

SF wouldn't exactly be on the way... regardless, I don't think you'd be so bad in person and reducing my cost lets me put up with a lot  ;)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

Don't forget there is a good chance for a live stream. It will be a direct stream of videos that will be edited and later put up on Youtube.

http://www.overpower.ca/live (12PM EDT is 9AM PDT and we're streaming until we can't)

Hot Rod

Haha, if you guys can get drdeath over here for his grudge match with BBH you'll be heroes!

Larry mentioned back at the last meetup that Doug Simms is doing some kinda thanksgiving meet (in Ohio).  Maybe that would be a good middle ground?  I don't know any fine details though.

Kal-el

I would definitely do my best to make an Ohio meetup. It's only about 8 hours to Cincinnati for me, less if they were further north.

Ranerdar

Per Mapquest (not the best source, I know) there is only a 5 hour difference between driving from Redding, CA to Toronto (39hrs 43mn) and driving from Redding, CA to Cincinnati, OH (34hrs 59min)