How to paint on plastic sleeve? Want to turn trading card into hero card

Started by Zer0evil, February 24, 2016, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zer0evil

Hello, any artists have advice for painting on top of plastic, will probably use a number stencil, so that it is permanent and not messy (doesn't rub off,etc)?

I want to make a ghetto Dark Phoenix hero card by simply painting colored numbers on the deck protector sleeves clear surface (create an overlay effect, cheaply).

Thanks for any tips.

P.S. tried to post this in custom cards section, but it wouldn't let me.
"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.

Jack

The easiest method I've found is to use transparency film (overhead projector sheets) that you can use with a inkjet/laser printer. I'm sure Staples or Kinkos will have the stuff too. You can easily get 9 to a page and its just a matter of cutting out the 2.5x3.5 rectangle and overlaying it. No mess, no fuss.

I've done it in the past, not sure if I can find the post link, but I used clear adhesive vinyl to print EFSI on top of Batman: Holo Series cards to make them mimic the more expensive character cards -- for proxy purposes.

Zer0evil

Good idea, I will look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Another idea a woman suggested to me on twitter was to use a exact fit sleeve and colored permanent markers and do the double sleeve method, put the smaller exact fit "painted" sleeve on the card, and insert it into a bigger deck protector sleeve to protect it.

Both will probably work, I will experiment and see how it goes.

Zer0evil

UPDATE: I know this has been weighing heavily on everyone's minds in anticipation..

I bought a pack of circular colored label stickers (red,green,yellow,blue), cut them in half and put the half circle colored stickers on top of the plastic, then used a ball point pen to write the number on it.