Couple of questions.

Started by BasiliskFang, November 27, 2012, 02:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasiliskFang

1. take for instance, an AR special (Sabretooth) is played against a character (Batman), Batman uses Any hero negate, can Sabretooth use Any hero negate? If so, can Sabretooth's teamate (Zealot) play a AD (Teammate avoid).

Chain:
AR, negate AR, negate the negate, avoid AR

2. Can AI specials target the reserve?

BasiliskFang

thanks!

im thinking that captain universe can't link to a activated battlesite special, right?

Jack

AI specials that specify "target character" or "target opponent" can only choose front line characters. AI specials that specify "'opponent" (but without target) can choose the reserve and homebase in addition to front line characters.

thetrooper27

Does Siberian Strength target anyone?  Can it target a battesite?  What cards besides negates can be used to avoid it?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Nate Grey

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 27, 2012, 12:14:19 PM
Does Siberian Strength target anyone?  Can it target a battesite?  What cards besides negates can be used to avoid it?

Those kinds of cards are indeed tough to block since they target the opponent, not any target characters or battlesite. So your defense is limited to Negates and cards like Inhumans EE.

Trying to think of any other ways to avoid it though. Anyone else care to chime in?

Jack

Since when did Inhumans' EE defend these?

Nate Grey

Quote from: Jack on November 27, 2012, 01:26:34 PM
Since when did Inhumans' EE defend these?

Ack! I read it wrong. LOL My bad then.  :o So just strictly negates then?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on November 27, 2012, 06:18:41 AM
AI specials that specify "target character" or "target opponent" can only choose front line characters. AI specials that specify "'opponent" (but without target) can choose the reserve and homebase in addition to front line characters.

also, any other instances where an exception might've been set up. the important thing is that "target" word, though. so, if some other mechanic is allowing you to target the Reserve with a Special, then you could se a targeting AI. ... just wanted to be clear :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Why do you suppose you can't target a reserve character with an AI that says "target?"  Seems all the older versions would retroactively have the same text.  The new text is more specific, but I wouldn't bet that was because they wanted to change how the cards were played.  Any thoughts?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 28, 2012, 12:19:38 AM
Why do you suppose you can't target a reserve character with an AI that says "target?"  Seems all the older versions would retroactively have the same text.  The new text is more specific, but I wouldn't bet that was because they wanted to change how the cards were played.  Any thoughts?

well, the initial AI cards were all type-specific, but not targeted (Opponent must discard 1 Universe/Power card).
then, with Powersurge, we saw 2 new types (targeted, unspecific; untargeted, unspecific).

and THEN, I think when B/S came out, they realized that the untargeted, unspecific AIs were ultra-good cards. So, when B/S came out, there were only 3 AIs and they were all three the worst kinds (targeted AND type-specific) (there was also the Hillshire Farms edition for Hobgoblin, which may have been about this same time).

So then, when all the others came out (in IQ, Classic, and The Marvels), they were all that middle-ground-useful (targeted, but unspecific). The only exception to this was for The Flash, which was also tied to his Inherent Ability, which seemed like a clear attempt to give him a great, unique, exceptional strategy (at least until that MZ card for Velocity).

Anyway, that's my take. It seems like it was an intentional evolution, playtested type of progression for this card type.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 27, 2012, 12:14:19 PM
it targets the player
nope
just negate (AO)

Steino

I have a few rules questions too:

ER – Choose 1 power card usable by Lex Luther, excluding Intellect, from Draw Pile and place in hand.  Reshuffle Draw Pile

Can I choose a duplicate power card?

I assume I can not play DEVOURER OF WORLDS the same battle the event GEN 13 VS. THE REGULATORS is played. (No cards with the "Negate" may be played this battle.") Am I correct?

Jack

http://overpower.ca/wiki/ER
QuoteThis Special allows the player to search their Draw Pile for a Power card usable by the character who played this Special to place in the hand. The Power card chosen cannot be of a specified power type. Chosen card may be a duplicated and may be a multipower power card. Reshuffle the Draw Pile afterwards.

And yes, you are correct about not being able to play DoW with that Event in play.

steve2275

Quote from: Jack on November 27, 2012, 06:18:41 AMAI specials that specify "'opponent" (but without target) can choose the reserve and homebase in addition to front line characters.
the flash
ghost rider
the mandarin
scarlet witch
are the only four that can do that  :)