'Dead is Dead' or just hard to kill?

Started by Nostalgic, April 03, 2011, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I personally just think that, as the game progressed, there were more and more ways to kill people, regardless of Specials in play and Inherent Abilities. I'd much rather see that developed than have a rule like DiD. It's similar to how I feel about DoW. I know they were trying to create balance vs. Battlesites, I just feel like they did it wrong.  :-\

I've been on both sides of this (my brother uses DANGER SEEKER from a Battlesite to good effect, I've used Angel's AERIAL COMBAT from a battlesite to good effect), so I do appreciate it for what it is, but I also see it as a little obnoxious. Forums are a good place to gripe  ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

is there an actual rule about this?

what is the exact wording?

Jack

From: http://overpower.ca/archive/ripayuheadoff2/part7.html

Quote from: Dead is DeadFor every character, regardless of Inherent Abilities or cards in play, if that character has meet the requirements for both a Cumulative and a Spectrum KO, then that character has been KO'd.

--
Though, there are two interpretations about what is "Dead is Dead", the above is the one that people refer to, but:

http://overpower.ca/archive/wildchild/oprule-dead.html

breadmaster

interesting

from the link

'If he is, then the opponent is considered to have reneged, because when he plays an attack for the kill, he must say so.'

is this actually a rule?  never heard about that

also, the first quote never says anything about 20points/3icons.  does this help deadpool?  30points/3icons (and still no multi)

EDIT:  never mind...i guess that still wouldn't address xbabies or pile it on/android endurance.  20points/3icons is it then

Demacus

I still personally think that Dead is Dead should only apply to characters who can't die any other way, instead of across the board, but yeah, 20points/3icon seems to be the standard...  Like your Deadpool example.

Bumping him from 20 to 30 points doesn't make him immortal, just needs to suck 10 more points from my opponent UNLESS he happend to spectrum him in there somewhere, (assuming there was no Pile it On played on Deadpool via the Battlesite or some other way,) but even then, he can still die, you just have to work harder at it.

1 X-Babies who lived long enough to be in his opponents power pack is NOW IMMORTAL and would be susceptable to the DiD rule, which would take effect and kill them as soon as both 20 and 3 were established after the opponent has NO WAY of hitting them with SPECIALS, UNIVERSE, or TACTIC cards that would legally kill them without ignoring their Inherant.

But call me a purist.  In EVERY other card game, anything WRITTEN ON the card takes precidence over any WRITTEN RULE about how the game is played.  Now if they want to errata the DiD rule to being in effect for any of those problem characters, I would have no argument against it, but as it currently stands, it simply should not apply to any character who CAN BE KILLED, even if killing that character is more difficult then normal.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: steve2275 on February 25, 2012, 08:07:48 AM
i still  hate it
only some one who sucks would like that rule
i suck
and i still hate it

I guess I suck, because I love the rule. It's the ONE good change they made. It's simple, clear, and fair. Something that's often lacking in this game.

;)

-BBH

Bios

I guess I suck, because I love the rule. It's the ONE good change they made. It's simple, clear, and fair. Something that's often lacking in this game.

;)

-BBH

You are not alone, I like that rule too. It worths a 100 posts... hey, actually that's my 100th post!

DiceK

I think when you start seeing the same characters in decks, over and over, you have a problem.  I played at the NY Regional at Neutral Ground in 1998 and Marauders to X-Babies was the theme. 

I personally never saw decks that included Vision, Strong Guy, Morbius, or Deadpool.  I kinda think limiting those, in my opinion already weaker characters, because the X-Babies became a premier deck, is very stupid. 

gameplan.exe

Quote from: DiceK on February 27, 2012, 09:09:41 AM
... I kinda think limiting those, in my opinion already weaker characters, because the X-Babies became a premier deck, is very stupid.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I understand wanting to limit the Marauders to X-Babies, but I think they went about it wrong. They created a rule instead of just making other Characters or Specials to counter that strategy (like Deathlok's card from The MARVELS).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

DiceK

When you guys have your overpower meet-ups... What rules do you play by?  Is DiD used? 

How close to the Original Rules do you guys play?

gameplan.exe

When my group plays we use normal rules with 3 minor exceptions.

1) When AJ-Specials are played, you may draw 1 card.
- It was a house rule idea I came up with to give Spider-Man, Batman, and Nightwing more playability and the idea stuck.

2 )When playing a multi-power, the attacker doesn't declare the power-type, so the defender is open to defend it however they can.
- This wasn't so much a house rule, as it was leaving things the way we learned it. We had no idea you could "declare" the power type upon attacking to avert a specific defense.

3) During the Draw Phase, if you have a duplicate Power Card or Universe Card, you can place the duplicate to the Reserve instead of discarding (assuming the Reserve can handle it).
- This is like the power-type above. We learned it the wrong way, but decided we liked it this way, so we leave it.

All of these are pretty minor, and actually don't come up that often anyway. I don't think any of it is game breaking, but it's slight variation we use. Plus we use some home made cards (particularly our own DCIII)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

zippa_head

We play official rules most of the time, unless someone wants to play by the house rules, if they've made up some decks they want to test or play around with.
It also usually stays pretty close to the exact official rules, sure, we could possibly renag on one thing or two, but it's just for fun, not a tournament setting.

DiD is certainly played, although I haven't come up against it too often. Just kill them the old fashioned way, with the event ;)

BigBadHarve

Quote from: DiceK on February 27, 2012, 01:20:33 PM
When you guys have your overpower meet-ups... What rules do you play by?  Is DiD used? 

How close to the Original Rules do you guys play?

Our meetups in Toronto generally use official rules. I have a set a of house rules that are sometimes used by a few, but mostly it's official. DiD included.

We did one tournament last year using my house system, to reasonable success. Every other tournament we ran was using official rules. In both cases we allowed the 'Marvels' cards.

-BBH