Giving the Reserve some 'Love'

Started by Nostalgic, August 17, 2010, 11:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

Is there anything preventing me from playing a grid enhancing artifact from one of my front line characters on to my reserve character? How about shifting an attack to my reserve character or playing a CT special to my reserve?

Partially related...
Does the wording on the linkstone artifact card which says 'On his turn, teammate may discard 1 card from top of draw pile to dead pile to immediately play any card placed to any front line character.' limit its use to offensive actions only?  In other words if that card was in play could one of my characters use a teammate's placed 'avoid 1 attack'?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Yes, the main thing preventing you is the basic ruling that characters in the Reserve are inactive, meaning cards cannot be played on to them or by them. (Except in special circumstances - IE: Inherent ability etc.)

That being said there are circumstances you can manufacture to make it legal. Serpent Society's inherent ability allows them to play tactic cards from the reserve. So you could play an enhancer on to them while they were in the back. (The conundrum being that they are SO good in the front you'd not really want them in reserve...)

As for the CT specials, again, under normal rules you can't play it on to the reserve. But, I would say that if the card was already in play on a character who was (for whatever reason) moved into the reserve, it would still apply because the card was in play.

Regarding the Linkstone, that's an interesting question, really. My knee jerk response would be to say that it can be activated defensively, thus increasing the usefulness of the card. (I always favour that.) But the phrase 'on his turn' is what puts a crimp in that thought. 'On his turn' implies that you may only activate it when it's your turn to play, which would indicate that you can not do it in response to an attack as technically it's still the opponent's turn until your opponent declares his turn over.

All in all, I'd have say that the Linkstone must be played on your turn, which rules out defensive actions, Alas.

-BBH

Nostalgic

First of all let me say duuhh and thanks on the grid enhancement question.  I wasn't thinking about the fact that both teammates are jointly playing the card together, not one just playing it on the other, like in the case of attack shifting. (Not to mention the fact that the rules specifically say under artifacts usesage only frontline characters...  :-[)

Also, upon rereading meta rule 31 I see how the reserve is excluded regarding shifting...

31When a Special refers to a teammate, it means another Character on your team (unless the text of the Special indicates otherwise) that is not the Character who played the Special. If the Special is referring to all of the Character's teammates, then it does include the Reserve Character. If it is referring to what can be done with a specific teammate, then it applies only to the Front Line Characters. It never means the Battlesite or the Home Base.

I was focused on the former as opposed to the latter underlined texts...  :P

In the case of linkstone, my 'fears' are confirmed.  However, your response about the Serpent Society has given me another 'idea.' ( As I mentioned elsewhere, it is the theory that intrigues me, perhaps not the usefulness.)  Could I have Serpent society in reserve and continually use linkstone to attack with teammates' special cards, perhaps then following up with Serpent Society specials as additional attacks. I'm sure something more devious could be arranged with more thought, but I'm trying to see if the mechanic would work.  Just trying to be creative...  ;)

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

bamf!

Serpent Society's inherent overwrites that restriction on frontline only, so they should be able to play Tactic: Artifacts from reserve. However, since they are the ones initiating the Artifact, they won't get the benefits of having their stats upgraded, but will boost a teammate instead.

bamf!

BigBadHarve

Quote from: bamf! on August 17, 2010, 03:12:57 PM
Serpent Society's inherent overwrites that restriction on frontline only, so they should be able to play Tactic: Artifacts from reserve. However, since they are the ones initiating the Artifact, they won't get the benefits of having their stats upgraded, but will boost a teammate instead.

You know, that very issue never came up officially in any tournaments I was at. But I've always taken it to mean that Tactics require two characters to play, and since the Society can play from reserve that also means they can initiate or contribute of a Tactic as the situation requires.

-BBH

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on August 17, 2010, 05:49:44 PM
Quote from: bamf! on August 17, 2010, 03:12:57 PM

You know, that very issue never came up officially in any tournaments I was at. But I've always taken it to mean that Tactics require two characters to play, and since the Society can play from reserve that also means they can initiate or contribute of a Tactic as the situation requires.

-BBH

Well you beat me to the response.  I wonder what others think.

Demacus

Sound's like their inherant allows them a LOT of play from reserve, if coupled with the right Artifacts/Doubleshots.