Ambiguous cards

Started by BigBadHarve, April 05, 2011, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

So, in light of a recent dispute regarding Avalon's aspect, I started thinking about other cards that have strange and ambiguous wording.

What are some cards that have confused  ??? and confounded  :-\ you with the printed text?  Or, cards that appear amazing by the printed text, only have been nerfed by unnecessary errata.

For me - the nerf on Backlash's Mist Body special always perplexed me.

MIST BODY
Play during battle. All Hits in Backlash's Hits from Current Battle do not count for Venture Total and are subtracted from Opponent's Venture Total.

As written, it's awesome. Take a hit, then erase the venture and return it back to your opponent. Good OPD.

But, they nerfed it. It only removes the venture from you and doesn't reflect it back. So in essence, it's a weaker, OPD version of apocalyptic minion, that shuts down if Backlash is killed. WTF?

It might be redeemable as a game lasting special, being OPD and no printed duration. But nooo, it's battle lasting only. One of those cards that the 'blanket' duration rule doesn't apply to.

What are your beefs?

-BBH

gameplan.exe

I hate the errata on HOLOGRAPHIC ATTACKERS, the Aspect for DANGER ROOM. The card reads,

QuoteFor remainder of game, The Danger Room team's attacks made with Power
            cards may not be defended by Opponent's team's Special cards
            already in play.

The errata says that the word "defended" should be "affected". Way better would have been to simply remove the last 3 words from the card "already in play."

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:24:56 PM

Also, I'm still confused as to why this isn't considered a "duration"

"until this Special is attacked." (EB-coded shield cards)

I can actually see why the KC would only last a single battle, because of what it says at the end of the card "cannot be attacked." If I run out of cards, then Mole Man cannot be attacked. But, honestly, I think that Grunge's shouldn't last for the game, for the same reason. When I run out of cards, then the "duration" has been met - unless my opponent concedes over and over, but I'll take that too  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 01:55:22 PMMIST BODY
Play during battle. All Hits in Backlash's Hits from Current Battle do not count for Venture Total and are subtracted from Opponent's Venture Total.

As written, it's awesome. Take a hit, then erase the venture and return it back to your opponent. Good OPD.

But, they nerfed it. It only removes the venture from you and doesn't reflect it back. So in essence, it's a weaker, OPD version of apocalyptic minion, that shuts down if Backlash is killed. WTF?

It might be redeemable as a game lasting special, being OPD and no printed duration. But nooo, it's battle lasting only. One of those cards that the 'blanket' duration rule doesn't apply to.

What are your beefs?

-BBH

If I'm understanding that card correctly it would have been a game-winner if they before they nerfed it right? I mean if Backlash was the last character on your team he could bet 7 and during the battle block nothing, attack with everything, and if he was KO'd would still win through venture.  :o
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

rucker73

But what are the chances that Backlash is your last character standing and you still have the ability to bet 7 for the win?

And if you are that worried about it, you could have changed your strategy to KO Backlash at an earlier moment.

I'm with BBH on Mist Body, it's pretty useless now.
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on April 05, 2011, 02:30:00 PM
I hate the errata on HOLOGRAPHIC ATTACKERS, the Aspect for DANGER ROOM. The card reads,

already in play.

The errata says that the word "defended" should be "affected". Way better would have been to simply remove the last 3 words from the card "already in play."

You know it's funny, I did think about testing this out to see how broken it might be, but never got around to it, and ultimately decided to stick with the official errata. It would truly make the Danger Room a force to be reckoned with. Have you tried it out?

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 05, 2011, 06:41:03 PM
If I'm understanding that card correctly it would have been a game-winner if they before they nerfed it right? I mean if Backlash was the last character on your team he could bet 7 and during the battle block nothing, attack with everything, and if he was KO'd would still win through venture.  :o

For sure it can be a game winner, but it's certainly not a guarantee and therefore not broken. Try using the character and see how often it actually comes up.

But to deny a player the possibility and reduce it's usability is absurd.

Sometimes I wonder if they nerfed cards based on the best case scenario, rather than the most likely scenario.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 11:25:19 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on April 05, 2011, 02:30:00 PM

already in play.

You know it's funny, I did think about testing this out to see how broken it might be, but never got around to it, and ultimately decided to stick with the official errata. It would truly make the Danger Room a force to be reckoned with. Have you tried it out?

Sometimes I wonder if they nerfed cards based on the best case scenario, rather than the most likely scenario.

-BBH

I haven't tried it. It might still need an errata, though, to make it plain Power card attacks. Otherwise, there are some really nasty combines that would be nearly unblockable.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

If I'm understanding that card correctly it would have been a game-winner if they before they nerfed it right? I mean if Backlash was the last character on your team he could bet 7 and during the battle block nothing, attack with everything, and if he was KO'd would still win through venture.  :o

For sure it can be a game winner, but it's certainly not a guarantee and therefore not broken. Try using the character and see how often it actually comes up.

-BBH

I didn't want you or rucker to misunderstand me.  I wasn't saying OMG that's broken!  :o  I was actually saying OMG that possiblity is awsome!  :o  ;)

@ rucker
I wasn't making any judgement on the likelyhood of said possiblity.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 06, 2011, 12:35:24 AM

-BBH

I didn't want you or rucker to misunderstand me.  I wasn't saying OMG that's broken!  :o  I was actually saying OMG that possiblity is awsome!  :o  ;)

@ rucker
I wasn't making any judgement on the likelyhood of said possiblity.

One of my favorite things about Overpower is the possibility of the perfect storm!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on April 06, 2011, 01:20:25 AMOne of my favorite things about Overpower is the possibility of the perfect storm!

Agreed! That's actually why I quoted you for my sig.  ;D The story you told about that battle between Cap and Wolverine was the epitome of the perfect storm! Some of the most interesting battles are when both players get killer hands, bet like it, and really throw down! Sometimes when both people get the cards, and the characters both have level 8 fighting, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPJ5qSnrEI&t=1m55s  can happen.  ;D

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on April 05, 2011, 02:37:53 PM
Also, I'm still confused as to why this isn't considered a "duration"

"until this Special is attacked." (EB-coded shield cards)

I can actually see why the KC would only last a single battle, because of what it says at the end of the card "cannot be attacked." If I run out of cards, then Mole Man cannot be attacked. But, honestly, I think that Grunge's shouldn't last for the game, for the same reason. When I run out of cards, then the "duration" has been met - unless my opponent concedes over and over, but I'll take that too  ;)

I totally agree with the EB cards being game lasting.  Especially if you look at the ones from The Marvels.  The OPD ones are OPD because you can chose to shift any attack to them and the non-OPD ones are non-OPD because they only can shift a certain type of attack.  So why should a card that you can't chose which attack hits it and only affects the character who played it not be game lasting and non-OPD?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 07, 2011, 01:02:59 AM
Quote from: ncannelora on April 06, 2011, 01:20:25 AMOne of my favorite things about Overpower is the possibility of the perfect storm!

Agreed! That's actually why I quoted you for my sig.  ;D The story you told about that battle between Cap and Wolverine was the epitome of the perfect storm! Some of the most interesting battles are when both players get killer hands, bet like it, and really throw down! Sometimes when both people get the cards, and the characters both have level 8 fighting, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPJ5qSnrEI&t=1m55s  can happen.  ;D

I noticed your sig! I was excited when I saw it, almost as much as when the Perfect Storm actually happened  :D

Anyway, thanks for the kudos!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Skeletaur

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I was researching a new deck and I read Backlash Mist Body card. Seemed amazing and I went and build a test deck around it, but then I read here that it's errata'd not to subtract venture. When/why did this happen? Where can we see these errata rules? I even looked up the meta rules on MM cards, and didn't see this. Makes deck building cool ideas really tough.

It really seems as if some of these erratas are making cards less playable and being pigeonholed into only being able to use certain characters to be competitive.

chuu

had the exact same thing happen to me with Backlash...

we should try to build an errata databases so that everyone has it available instead of some people "just knowing"

Jack

Skeletaur

Oh thanks, I was using the Specials lookup on this site instead. I'll make sure to check the wiki for erratas from now on.

I'm still not happy though that these unique cards get errata and reduces opportunities to use these characters