While reading the OP tour guide....

Started by BasiliskFang, January 16, 2013, 07:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasiliskFang

page 9 - #5 left - retrieving an activator. is this still the ruling? also no dupes fro the grab? interesting.
#16 right - I don't really get this. something about tw +/- from location IA.

Jack

Regarding #5, these rules were official as of 1997. The game has changed greatly since then.

#16 makes sense.

BasiliskFang

but i don't get it, can someone break down 16. using the ap tw +0 as an example. does this even apply?

Jack

Quote from: http://overpower.ca/qna/madripoorQuestion: When playing Madripor (Opponent's teamwork bonuses are +0) homebase vs. Department H (Teamworks are additional +1) homebase, which inherent would hold out. The way I see it there are two possibilities. Department H Team's teamwork cards are +0 (all bonuses cancelled by Madripor) or they are all just +1 (get the additional bonus after Madripor cancels out all bonuses on the teamwork cards themselves). What's your take and this? (1997-12-07)[/b]

Answer: Well, I've gotten this one enough times that it is now destined for the FAQ (being updated soon to include some FAQ on special cards).

The Madripoor IA causes all of my opponent's teamwork cards to read "+0" instead of whatever bonus is listed on the teamwork card. The Department H IA causes whatever the bonus on the card is to be an additional +1. Therefore, if my opponent is playing Dept. H and I am playing Madripoor, then all of my opponents follow up attacks made with teamwork cards are made at +1.

Whenever possible, if there seems to be a conflict with IAs of Home Bases, I recommend that the solution would be whatever causes both IA to have an effect - one would not override the other. That's why the reverse scenario (of all my opponents follow up attacks being +0 regardless of the IA of Dept. H) does not ring true.

BasiliskFang

Department H Team's Universe: Teamwork card bonuses are an additional +1.
All of Opponent's Universe: Teamwork Card Bonuses are +0.

Madipoor makes all opp's TW +0 but dept H add 1.

I get it now, thanks.

halcyon1234

FWIW: Most other CCGs have rulings that define the order of operation for situations like these.  Usually its:

1) If something effects the base value or sets a specific value, apply this first
2) Then apply numeric modifiers

So this ruling makes sense. First, Madripoor sets a base value of "0" to all the bonuses. Then Dept. H adds "+1" to it. 

halcyon1234

Quote from: steve2275 on January 17, 2013, 03:01:18 AM
i think madi should override dept h

What happens when you play Maverick's +2 to all actions?

Base then modifiers makes more sense and causes less confusion.

Fortunately, there are no (current) instances of this in OP, but the fun comes when you have two base effects that contradict. In most CCGs, it comes down to who played what first. But what happens if two homebases (which are in play from start of game) each contradict?

BasiliskFang

Quote from: halcyon1234 on January 17, 2013, 12:50:44 PM
But what happens if two homebases (which are in play from start of game) each contradict?
Quote from: halcyon1234 on January 16, 2013, 10:50:11 PM
First, Madripoor sets a base value of "0" to all the bonuses. Then Dept. H adds "+1" to it. 

halcyon1234

Quote from: BasiliskFang on January 17, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
Quote from: halcyon1234 on January 17, 2013, 12:50:44 PM
But what happens if two homebases (which are in play from start of game) each contradict?
Quote from: halcyon1234 on January 16, 2013, 10:50:11 PM
First, Madripoor sets a base value of "0" to all the bonuses. Then Dept. H adds "+1" to it. 

I meant more along the lines of "base contradictions".  What if there was one homebase that said "All opponents power cards are level 1".  And another homebase that said "All your powercards are level 8".

Aside from the horrible brokeness of it, which would to precedence?

BasiliskFang

i think to judge a hypotethical situation, the situation should be a little more in the realm of possibility in the game.

What about "Department H Team's Universe: Teamwork card bonuses are an additional +1."VS Fall's edge "All of Opponent's Universe: Teamwork Card attacks are -1"?

do these cancel each other out? i think so.
would the opponent's TW's first hit of 6 be only 5 to defend? i think so as well.

Demacus

I would think that in the instance Basilisk presents, The Dept H teamworks would all be Need a 6x to use, acts as a 5x with +1/+2 follow ups.  It allows both of the I.A.s to have their effects without greatly muting one for the sake of the other.

BUT there is also the chance that Fall's Edge only affects the Teamwork card itself, making Dept H's Teamworks to act as 5x with +2/+3 follow ups, as Dept H specifically states it affects the bonuses, but Fall's Edge states it only affects the "Teamwork Card" attack, not nessassarily the powercard follow ups.

Interesting hypothetical Basilisk.

Jack?  BBH?  I'm 99% certain that the first scenario is correct, but why wouldn't the second scenario be correct?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 03, 2013, 03:28:17 PM
I would think that in the instance Basilisk presents, The Dept H teamworks would all be Need a 6x to use, acts as a 5x with +1/+2 follow ups.  It allows both of the I.A.s to have their effects without greatly muting one for the sake of the other.

BUT there is also the chance that Fall's Edge only affects the Teamwork card itself, making Dept H's Teamworks to act as 5x with +2/+3 follow ups, as Dept H specifically states it affects the bonuses, but Fall's Edge states it only affects the "Teamwork Card" attack, not nessassarily the powercard follow ups.

Interesting hypothetical Basilisk.

Jack?  BBH?  I'm 99% certain that the first scenario is correct, but why wouldn't the second scenario be correct?

I believe the second is correct. read the distinction given to the X-World I.A., as opposed to Holographic Attackers Aspect for Danger Room.

"Power card attacks" = just a plain PC (no Univ, DbSh, or other combos)
"Attacks made with a Power card" = any attack involving a PC

so then,

"Universe Teamwork card attacks" = the 6 of the Univ card itself becoming a 5
"Attacks made with Universe Teamwork cards" = all 2 or 3 attacks made would be -1

but again, this is how our local panel of "judges" ruled on it  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Thank you for the support Ncann...  Interesting scenario, though, huh?

Jack

Because it says "All of", it would imply that the attacks are grouped together in a logical manner.

For the Any-Power Teamwork, it will be a 5, with net increases of -1/-1.
For 6's, it would be a 5, with net increases of +0/+1.
For 7's, it would be a 5, net increase of +1/+1.
For 8's, it would be a 5, net increase of +1/+2.