here's a hypothetical - Beyonder plays Gift of the Gods

Started by The Dude, August 17, 2010, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demacus

Sounds like a solid argument.  I have nothing further on the subject.  :D 

Jack

Quote from: BigBadHarve on October 04, 2011, 05:30:27 PMWhereas the Beyonder is only allowed to play teammate's specials. Therefore he's not playing a 'Beyonder' special. The text is not altered as with battlesites, therefore you must adhere to the printed text.
So if Beyonder plays Hawkeye's HH (Hawkeye is possibly the reserve), it's only Hawkeye that reaps the benefits of the card?

Demacus

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on October 04, 2011, 05:43:57 PM
Quote from: BigBadHarve on October 04, 2011, 05:30:27 PMWhereas the Beyonder is only allowed to play teammate's specials. Therefore he's not playing a 'Beyonder' special. The text is not altered as with battlesites, therefore you must adhere to the printed text.
So if Beyonder plays Hawkeye's HH (Hawkeye is possibly the reserve), it's only Hawkeye that reaps the benefits of the card?

Well, it would certainly nerf that Beyonder with unlimited specials tactic nicely, wouldn't it? (Except from a site, that is. ;)  )

But yes, that throws that theory out of the window. As I said, that's how it was outlined for me long ago, chock it up to yet another rule inconsistency by the Powers that Be of Overpower.

In that case, I'd have to retract and go with the malleable text interpretation all around.

-BBH

Demacus

I guess if a character would replace the instance of the name on the side of the special, dictating who it belongs to, he would also replace all other instances of a name on the card...  that being the case, would Beyonder search for a "Beyonder" special, which doesn't exist?  Beta Ray Bill "May play any Thor Specials" via his inherant...  would he search for a "Beta Ray Bill" special which doesn't exist?  Would both cases simply look for a special playable by the Name-Replacing Character?

I would have to think the latter would be what occurs, or there would be no point in including these cards into a deck that doesn't have the actual named character, thus making their variant/clone(?) heroes "weaker" then the "printed" heroes.

gameplan.exe

how about this: the CPS can do whatever they want  :o
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Errata sounds better and better everyday.:)

A Thor special seems like it should be any special playable by Thor.  A Beta Ray Bill special seems like it should be any special playable by Beta Ray Bill, and a Storm:Neutralized special seems like it should be any special playable by Storm:Neutralized, which would include non OPD Morlock specials.  I know this isn't the case so I submit for the approval of the OP society:

DS specials should have errata stating that you may search for any special "playable by" (said character), excluding any character specials. 

Furthermore, as a general rule, all instances of the name should change on the card if any instances of the name change, such as when played from a battesite. 

Then we ban Beyonder. :-*

What does CPS stand for?   

Playing OverPower is like having that girl you love.  She's the one for you, but there are few little things you'd like to change about her... did I say a few??? :-\
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on March 31, 2013, 06:03:19 PM
What does CPS stand for?   

Playing OverPower is like having that girl you love.  She's the one for you, but there are few little things you'd like to change about her... did I say a few??? :-\

CPS = Character Playing Special

Also, no comment on the GF issue  :-X
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Quote from: ncannelora on March 31, 2013, 09:54:41 PM
Quote from: thetrooper27 on March 31, 2013, 06:03:19 PM
What does CPS stand for?   

CPS = Character Playing Special

Also, no comment on the GF issue  :-X

Yeah... Hall and Oates told us that some things are better left unsaid.:)
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster