Beyonder playing OPDs

Started by Oscorp, July 01, 2011, 09:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscorp

and I guess I have one more question...  If using a Beyonder Deck and he is not allowed to use OPD's, even if Living Costume were played on him or some other modifier. 

I was just trying to clarify if this also applies to the Fighting Spirit Lives event, Any Heroes and the OPD in your battlesite.

I would assume that they would all not be playable by Beyonder based on the ruling with the modifying specials.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

Jack

Beyonder can NEVER play OPD Specials. Never never never never never. :)

Never.

Never. :D

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on July 01, 2011, 11:58:58 AM
Beyonder can NEVER play OPD Specials. Never never never never never. :)

Never.

Never. :D

I'm sorry, I don't think you were clear... when can the Beyonder play One Per Decks?

:P

-BBH

Jack

When they aren't specials. :P

Kal-el

Quote from: Jack on July 01, 2011, 01:06:12 PM
When they aren't specials. :P

Good answer.

The Dude

I would have to disagree on the Fighting Spirit Lives. The very nature of all Event cards is that they change the rules of the game for that one battle as specified in the text of the Event card. Why then would a restriction on Beyonder playing OPDs supercede the standard rules of an Event card? I can't think of a single other example where an inherant ability or standard rule overrides an Event's effect from coming into play

(Indded the only time I know of that an Event does not affect all Heroes equally is if that Post Special card is in play, which is a clear exception since the text of that Post card is specifically designed to counter Events).

Jack

The text on the card: "All special cards in your hand may be played by any hero for remainder of battle.", I'm going to say that the event makes all special cards "Any Hero/Character" and the same rules apply for Any Hero specials that are OPD.

Ranerdar

Does this also you can't play the OPD special in the battlesite with a Beyonder activator?
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Jack

Quote from: Ranerdar on July 02, 2011, 12:32:21 AM
Does this also you can't play the OPD special in the battlesite with a Beyonder activator?
That is correct.

Kyle

Quote from: Jack on July 02, 2011, 08:46:00 AM
That is correct.

Wow, that sucks.  :(

Nate Grey

Quote from: Kyle on July 02, 2011, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: Jack on July 02, 2011, 08:46:00 AM
That is correct.

Wow, that sucks.  :(

My sentiments exactly. Learned that the hard way while playing Overpower Online.  :-\

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 01, 2011, 11:15:47 PM
The text on the card: "All special cards in your hand may be played by any hero for remainder of battle.", I'm going to say that the event makes all special cards "Any Hero/Character" and the same rules apply for Any Hero specials that are OPD.

i disagree. otherwise, if you get the Event FIGHTING SPIRIT LIVES - and then I get the Event GODS OF STONE then no Specials may be played from our hands  :-\

i definitely say that if FSL is in play, the Beyonder can play the OPD Specials.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on July 02, 2011, 06:24:49 PM
Quote from: Jack on July 01, 2011, 11:15:47 PM

i disagree. otherwise, if you get the Event FIGHTING SPIRIT LIVES - and then I get the Event GODS OF STONE then no Specials may be played from our hands  :-\

i definitely say that if FSL is in play, the Beyonder can play the OPD Specials.

This makes sense if you think of it this way.  Firstly, Beyonder is not able to play OPDs.  Secondly, heroes are not able to play any specials that are not their own unless their IA says otherwise.  Finally, the event overrides the fact that characters cannot play anything other than the specials that have their names on it and allows every hero to play every special.  Why would their be a special exception for Beyonder that says he can't play OPD's even if the event says so versus other heroes who normally can only play their own specials but now can play any other special.

Another situation like this might be that you have Professor X in your deck.  And X-Men:  Original Team.  Then Fighting Spirit Lives is played.  Would you argue that X-Men:  Original Team could not now play any and all Professor X specials?

Jack

Beyonder is a tough case because he doesn't really have an official inherent, just ruling. If his inherent says "may play any teammates' non-OPD specials", then I'll agree that the event allows him to poke into OPDs (then it leaves a gap open for Any Hero cards).
From the Tournament Guide, 'Beyonder cannot play any "One Per Deck" Special Cards', so the guide (albeit an old one, waiting for the newer one) states he cannot play them. An event does not overrule his inherent.

X-Men: Original Team is different, their inherent allows them to play Professor X's OPD specials, the card does not say they aren't allowed to play Professor X's non-OPD specials. The event would grant them access to any specials including Professor X's non-OPDs.

Demacus

Have to side with Jack.  The Beyonder rules would still stand, even in the event of said event card.

His inherant states "Beyonder may play any specials."

His rules however state that Beyonder may not play OPD specials, and can only play teammate's specials.

Even if the event overrode the printed inherant, I think his specific rules would still take precedence.

However, in the case of Fighting Spirit Lives, if ANY hero can play ANY special anyways, I can only see the Beyonder thing being an issue if he's your only remaining character, in which case, the OPDs would be unusable anyways.