Beyonder playing OPDs

Started by Oscorp, July 01, 2011, 09:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 04:56:55 PM
Have to side with Jack.  The Beyonder rules would still stand, even in the event of said event card.

His inherant states "Beyonder may play any specials."

His rules however state that Beyonder may not play OPD specials, and can only play teammate's specials.

Even if the event overrode the printed inherant, I think his specific rules would still take precedence.

However, in the case of Fighting Spirit Lives, if ANY hero can play ANY special anyways, I can only see the Beyonder thing being an issue if he's your only remaining character, in which case, the OPDs would be unusable anyways.

Or for defensive OPDs like Charm, Illusory Reality, Danger Seeker, Mind Control, etc.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

HollyWood

Sense all battlesite cards are all considered OPD's sense you can't have duplicates does this mean he can't play any battlesite cards? And regarding Any Hero unless he is the only character left on your team the only card this limits play is Guardian gives warning, because all the others can be played by other team members. So I don't see why his ability wouldn't only pertain to his teammates OPD's.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Jack

They are not all considered OPD. The make up of the Battlesite is one of each code in the site, and limits to one One Per Deck. Never does it mention they are OPDs.

Beyonder can only play one Any Hero/Character Special card, which is Alien Symboite. Beyonder can never play Guardian Angel.

As it stands, I state Beyonder's inherent ability as:

QuoteCounts as 28 points for Tournament Deckbuilding. May play any teammate's Special cards. May not play "One Per Deck" Special cards.

This clarifies everything needed with Beyonder.

HollyWood

Quote from: Jack on March 12, 2014, 02:22:52 PM
They are not all considered OPD. The make up of the Battlesite is one of each code in the site, and limits to one One Per Deck. Never does it mention they are OPDs.

Beyonder can only play one Any Hero/Character Special card, which is Alien Symboite. Beyonder can never play Guardian Angel.

As it stands, I state Beyonder's inherent ability as:

QuoteCounts as 28 points for Tournament Deckbuilding. May play any teammate's Special cards. May not play "One Per Deck" Special cards.

This clarifies everything needed with Beyonder.

I understand I'm asking us to crawl in the heads of geniuses who created the Meta rules but my question wasn't about game play and how he's played. I was there when this rule came out for tournament play. My question pertained to the thoughts behind the rule. As I stated, unless Beyonder is your ONLY hero left, the only Any Hero card LIMITED by play by this rule is "Guardian gives warning". All others like "Bastion" can just be played by another hero FOR Beyonder.

Now Battlesite cards were created as an alternative to Any Hero, hence why you can only have "one of each code type". And I understand Beyonder can play all these cards himself except the OPD. But my question is, why? For fairness to both sides, the Any Hero, and the Battlesite, why doesn't the rule just pertain to his teammates OPD's?
"I'm your huckleberry"

BigBadHarve

I think that's the problem right from the get-go - the people who came up with the Meta Rules were far from being geniuses..., trying to get into their heads will make your brain hurt.  :P

I can't tell you why Beyonder's rule doesn't just pertain to teammate's OPDs... but I will say that it's a good rule, and a straightforward one.

His (adjusted) inherent states, 'may not play OPD special cards.' There's no other modifier, and that makes it nice and clear. If it's a special, and a One-Per-Deck, then he can't play it. There's no debating the wording, unlike other examples in this game.

HollyWood

I agree that the rule is good and clear cut. But then why not make him unable to play Battle site cards as well? Sense they are in "essence" all One per decks just like Any Heroes? You can call them "One per codes" all you want it means the same thing. The fact that the Meta gods didn't stick around long enough to make an exception doesn't change the fact. And yes I am a member of the Beyonder hate club.
"I'm your huckleberry"

AO user

So if Beyonder is with Post who is already KO'd.  Beyonder plays lethal tester on X-man's Ultimate Potential:  Is BEYONDER playing the opd or is X-MAN being persuaded to play it or as Chuu suggested The special "owns" the card and is playing it?  I still dont understand the tester's mechanic.  maybe no one does?