Beyonder Revisited

Started by Torch, September 09, 2012, 12:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torch

The Rule says:  Beyonder can use any Special that the characters on your team can use, but he may not use "One Per Deck" Specials.

Question:  Can he use Activator cards as long as he doesn't get the OPD under the battlesite?
______
Torch

Jack

Yes. He can pick up anything that isn't the OPD.

To clarify that further, if you have Beyonder on your team, you cannot use a Beyonder activator in your deck.

Torch

Thank you Jack.  I was hoping that was the case, since he isn't very useful in an Any Hero deck I'm glad he can work with most of the Battlesite Specials.
______
Torch

KObossy

Can Beyonder play the reserve's non-opd cards while the reserve character is still in reserve?

Jack

He's allowed to play any specials that are not OPD that were put in for the 3 other characters.

Yes.

KObossy

Quote from: Jack on November 27, 2012, 07:04:50 PM
He's allowed to play any specials that are not OPD that were put in for the 3 other characters.

Yes.

Thank you sir. Glad you simplified it. First answer lost me at hello. :o

thetrooper27

What do you mean by use Activators?  Can he get any special as long as it isn't a OPD, even if it isn't the activator's specific special???  Am I missing something?  10-1 says I am.:)
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 28, 2012, 12:00:32 AM
What do you mean by use Activators?  Can he get any special as long as it isn't a OPD, even if it isn't the activator's specific special???  Am I missing something?  10-1 says I am.:)

i think what they're saying is, if you have Beyonder on your team, his Inherent Ability (and the errata for him) prevent him from playing Any Hero cards (except the AL) because they are OPD Specials. So, thankfully, he can be used well on a Battlesite team, since he can still play Activator cards (to retrieve their corresponding Specials, as per normal). The only exception is that he still cannot use any Activator to retrieve the OPD Special under the Battlesite. Furthermore, to clarify the deck-building rules, if you have Beyonder on your team, you cannot use a Beyonder card in your deck as a "wild" activator.

any more clear?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

Beyonder can play activators like normal characters on the team with the only exception being he can't exchange it for the OPD. If I understand your question, he doesn't make all of the activators into wildcards.

thetrooper27

Okay, so the initial question was more about the one per battlesite rule kind of making those specials one per decks?

Beyonder just seems so... hard to make useful.  To me, he's much better as the wild activator.  Of course, I've never played him to witness his true power.  It seems Xbabies are common in the decks he's in, and they have awesome specials, but a horrible grid, so he makes up for that.   Otherwise, he doesn't seem to be a bargain.  So, you guys should help me understand whether or not I should drop 100 bucks on this guy.  Cuz I would if he's worth it.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 28, 2012, 12:39:22 AM
Okay, so the initial question was more about the one per battlesite rule kind of making those specials one per decks?

Beyonder just seems so... hard to make useful.  To me, he's much better as the wild activator.  Of course, I've never played him to witness his true power.  It seems Xbabies are common in the decks he's in, and they have awesome specials, but a horrible grid, so he makes up for that.   Otherwise, he doesn't seem to be a bargain.  So, you guys should help me understand whether or not I should drop 100 bucks on this guy.  Cuz I would if he's worth it.

Well, for what it's worth, it seems most people are fine with using a proxy for his card. I haven't ponied up for him, but I'd never use him in my team (because "bad guys are losers"). I honestly don't even like using him as a Battlesite "wild" and in our group we all use Morph hero cards as substitutes  ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: Jack on November 28, 2012, 12:18:22 AM
Beyonder can play activators like normal characters on the team with the only exception being he can't exchange it for the OPD. If I understand your question, he doesn't make all of the activators into wildcards.
aka beyonder cant activate(as an activator) cards like

Demacus

Quote from: ncannelora on November 28, 2012, 01:38:05 AM
I haven't ponied up for him, but I'd never use him in my team (because "bad guys are losers").

Beyonder is considered a "bad guy?"  Was he in more the just the Secret Wars?  I feel like I missed something here.  Though he's clearly not a hero, I'd never considred him to be a bad guy, myself.  Just... curious.

breadmaster

off the top of my head, it was retconned that he's one half of an incomplete cosmic cube (molecule man the other half?).  this was done in fantastic four.  turns out the other cosmic characters were just leading him on, and he had no power over them

thetrooper27

Their joke turned out to be one expensive OverPower card.:)
Quote from: breadmaster on March 06, 2013, 04:11:33 PM

off the top of my head, it was retconned that he's one half of an incomplete cosmic cube (molecule man the other half?).  this was done in fantastic four.  turns out the other cosmic characters were just leading him on, and he had no power over them