anybody read untold tales of spider-man?

Started by breadmaster, March 19, 2013, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

i was reading the early ditko-lee spidey comics, and pulled this old series back out.  it's stories set in spidey's early days written by kurt busiek.  they interweave with the amazing stories, and even have a chart telling you where each new story fits in with the old continuity

i really enjoy silver age stories, but the problem with the essentials is that they are all there waiting to be read.  since the silver age stories were so dialogue heavy, it can get tedious reading a bunch in a row. 

but when you add in the mordern story telling of 'untold', it breaks up the dialogue and makes for almost a perfect spidey-reading experience!

also, the untold have all the old overpower ads; what a blast to read!

breadmaster

shame. seems the exposure here was the same as the general market :(

they did everything to promote this at the time with the 99 cent price.  it also got fantastic critical reviews

then last year, they even gave it the omnibus treatment!  they don't do that for just any series...still no one cared.  only 3 reviews (all good though!)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on April 09, 2013, 09:39:41 PM
shame. seems the exposure here was the same as the general market :(

they did everything to promote this at the time with the 99 cent price.  it also got fantastic critical reviews

then last year, they even gave it the omnibus treatment!  they don't do that for just any series...still no one cared.  only 3 reviews (all good though!)

what do you mean by "omnibus treatment"? (too lazy to google  ;D)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

celebrated runs (critically popular or sold well) are collected in large hardcover books.  they are a bit costly

examples are:

walt simonsons thor run
alan moore's captain britain
brubaker's captain america
john byrne's fantastic four

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on April 10, 2013, 04:36:36 PM
celebrated runs (critically popular or sold well) are collected in large hardcover books.  they are a bit costly

examples are:

walt simonsons thor run
alan moore's captain britain
brubaker's captain america
john byrne's fantastic four

interesting! sounds like I have a Christmas gift idea for a special brother of mine  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

the other one's are great.  you know what you're shelling out the big bucks for (and some of them are over 1000 pages!)

untold tales isn't for everyone though.  if that's the book you're thinking of getting, you could probably pick them up really cheap at a comic store or ebay

i just searched, and this lot would be half the price (but is missing a few of them)  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Untold-Tales-Of-Spider-Man-1-21-Flashback-Annual-Lot-Busiek-1995-Marvel-Comics-/390566315775?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5aef9106ff#ht_102wt_892

one bonus from the omnibus, is you also get a dr strange story (i've never read it), and the amazing fantasy limited series done by busiek, that takes place between amazing fantasy 15 and amazing spider-man 1.  this series i can vouch for