Marvel Comics app / digital subscriptions

Started by mattkoz, April 11, 2012, 01:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattkoz

I've been hemming and hawing about paying for some digital subscriptions on the Marvel app. I've read a few of the free comics on it, and I like it.

For me, digital has benefits because I'm not really into collecting and there's no space taken up in my closets. Also my best time to read would be when traveling and it's not convenient to carry multiple books with me.

Does anyone use this?
Is it good value?
How's the selection of material?
Is it easy to follow a story line to completion or do they only post certain issues and leave gaps?
Are current issues available? If there is a delay, how long?

Kal-el

I can't comment on your last three questions, but I have a friend who has been subscribing for awhile now so I can relate what he's told me.

His case is similar to yours I think in that he has no interest in collecting, he just wants to read stories. He loves the service. He thinks the price is good and he's read a ton of stuff, both old and relatively recent.

I'm not as big a Marvel fan so I haven't done it, but from what he's told me if DC had an equivalent I would definitely do it.

binarymelon

I'm not entirely convinced it's a good value.  Same price for hard copy as digital?  If you have a friend who is into collecting you can possibly work out something.  All $3.99 Marvel comics will have digital codes included starting in June.  That being said, I really like the experience.  A good example of the improved reading experience you can get from this is The Amazing Spider-man #477.  It should be available for free.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that the Marvel App, DC App and the Comixology are all created by Comixology.  Comixology and DC allow syncing of libraries and I'm hoping Marvel will allow this at some point in the future.

Bullio

I freaking love digital, and especially so since getting my iPad last month.  The reading experience on an iPad is just so incredible, and it's totally gotten me back into comics in a big way.

Price wise, comiXology runs .99 sales on various Marvel titles every Monday and Friday and has some sort of random weekend sale.  DC titles drop in price by $1 a month after release.  Obviously neither of these is very helpful if you purchase day one, but the trend seems to be moving towards including digital codes in physical books which is semi-helpful in adding value (or find a friend and give him a buck for his digital code or something).  Books are also tax free if you purchase them via the comiXology website as opposed to the iOS app (tax free on Android as well).  Also, you save on gas money purchasing digital, so there's that to consider especially if you have to trek a long ways to get your books.  Marvel and DC are also excellent with delivering new titles digitally same day day one as retail.  Selection is perfectly fine for books released in the last 2 years or so.  Beyond that is spotty, but generally most of the really big and popular stuff is on there (Watchmen being the most notable exception, I've found) and publishers are working on adding the missing stuff.

It ultimately boils down to if you're a collector or not.  If you're just a reader, digital is the way to go.  But if you like having huge piles and boxes of books, and/or enjoy the experience of going to a shop every week/month, then digital is a harder sell.  At the very least, I always recommend to people tht they download the free comiXology and Marvel apps for their device and check out some free comics (DC app has the exact same selection as the comiXology app, Marvel doesn't) to see how they like it.  I find digital to look at least as good as print on the 3rd gen iPad's screen, and still very good on non-retina displays.  The new HD versions might even look better than print at this point.

I've heard that you can e-mail comiXology support and have them link your Marvel and comiXology accounts so that comics bought on the Marvel apps will sync to your comiXology account, but it does not work the other way around.

mattkoz

I pulled the trigger on a digital subscription today.

I received an email from Marvel that with the code AVNGRS12 you can receive 30% off a digital subscription. That saved me almost $18 on a year sub. Great timing as my tablet arrives this afternoon.

This offer lasts until 5/6 and you can sign up here if you're interested: http://marvel.com/digital_comics/unlimited?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=AcquisitionEmail&utm_content=MDCU30OFF&utm_campaign=AvengersWeekend

EDIT ew yuck:

Currently, MDCU subscriptions are accessible on any computer or laptop (PC or Mac).  We are working on ways to integrate the MDCU subscription service on a variety of mobile platforms.  Please check marvel.com for future updates regarding the MDCU. 

I wonder if it will work through the browser on my tablet, but the digital unlimited subscription does not work in the Marvel app. That's a real stinker.

mattkoz

If you have the MDCU subscription and have an Android tablet, you need this app. It organizes the entire MDCU catalog either by character, book series, or Comic Event (i.e., House of M, Onslaught, etc.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.irtechsolutions.comicreleases&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5pcnRlY2hzb2x1dGlvbnMuY29taWNyZWxlYXNlcyJd