Just wanted to say hi!

Started by LRoq617, February 04, 2011, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRoq617

Hello all. I've been a reader on the boards for a little over a month now and decided to finally contribute to the conversation.

I recently rediscovered all of my old OP cards during a recent move and told a friend of mine about it who's been a MTG player for years. He had never heard of OP, but loves comics, so he wanted to try it. I threw a couple of decks together to mixed results. He seems to enjoy the mechanics and loves the character interaction (especially Battlesites), but gets fairly winded after a couple games. Maybe that's just a new player thing, I'm not sure, but we haven't gotten to play in a while since.

After finding these boards via Wikipedia and discovering the awesomeness that is OPDeck and OPOnline, I finally got some solid decks together and would love to get to test them out. I may have overlooked this though: is there a chatroom or something where players get together to play over OPO?

I'll take any info I can get there, and just wanted to say that it's good to be here. I missed this game.   :)

Hot Rod

Haha, I don't think anyone here bites (atleast not that I know of)!  I hope you're in California or near Toronto, playing face to face with a bunch of people is a great way to learn.

LRoq617

Wish I did. I'm in good ol' KY, where any CCG not named MTG is pretty much long forgotten.  :/

Nate Grey

Welcome to the Overpower forums. Like you I've kinda recently re-discovered Overpower. I've also been teaching the game to some friends and they are enjoying the hell out of it.

Nostalgic

Quote from: LRoq617 on February 04, 2011, 01:24:49 PM
Wish I did. I'm in good ol' KY, where any CCG not named MTG is pretty much long forgotten.  :/

Hey my state touches yours! Of course TN does border 8 states so that's not all that unique here.  ;D At least our states aren't as large as a Texas or Callie so maybe we don't live too far apart.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

LRoq617

Quote from: Nostalgic on February 05, 2011, 03:39:08 AM
Hey my state touches yours! Of course TN does border 8 states so that's not all that unique here.  ;D At least our states aren't as large as a Texas or Callie so maybe we don't live too far apart.

Wow, nice. I haven't been to TN in a while though, and I haven't been anywhere but Nashville, which is about 2 hours away. Whereabouts are you in Tenn?

BigBadHarve

Hey, Kentucky is only a 10 - 12 hour drive to Toronto!

Sit 12 hours in a car, to come sit 8 hours playing cards, and sit another 12 in a car. That's a sitting marathon for you! :P

Tennessee isn't that much further... ;)

-BBH

Nostalgic

Quote from: LRoq617 on February 05, 2011, 10:08:06 AM

Wow, nice. I haven't been to TN in a while though, and I haven't been anywhere but Nashville, which is about 2 hours away. Whereabouts are you in Tenn?

I'm in Nashville.  It's funny because I was thinking I live about 45 minutes from Clarksville, TN (or Austin Peay University) which is close to the border.  Maybe we can meet halfway or something.

Post Merge: July 10, 2011, 08:55:45 PM

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 05, 2011, 10:35:49 AM

Hey, Kentucky is only a 10 - 12 hour drive to Toronto!

Sit 12 hours in a car, to come sit 8 hours playing cards, and sit another 12 in a car. That's a sitting marathon for you! :P

Tennessee isn't that much further... ;)

-BBH

I suppose distance is relative...  ;)  I think it would be cool if as more people discover this forum perhaps there will be enough on the 'East Side' to have a overpower east coast connection.  We'll have OP West, OP East, and OP Canada. ;D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on February 05, 2011, 02:54:29 PM
I suppose distance is relative...  ;)  I think it would be cool if as more people discover this forum perhaps there will be enough on the 'East Side' to have a overpower east coast connection.  We'll have OP West, OP East, and OP Canada. ;D

I don't think it's inconceivable to have a meetup somewhere halfway. I heard about semi-regular meetups that happen in Ohio... as recently as last November... so that might be a possibility. A road trip for all of us. Ohio is about a 7 hour drive for us Toronto folk.

I'll look into the Ohio thing and see if it still happens.

-BBH

LRoq617

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 05, 2011, 07:29:52 PM
Quote from: Nostalgic on February 05, 2011, 02:54:29 PM

I don't think it's inconceivable to have a meetup somewhere halfway. I heard about semi-regular meetups that happen in Ohio... as recently as last November... so that might be a possibility. A road trip for all of us. Ohio is about a 7 hour drive for us Toronto folk.

I'll look into the Ohio thing and see if it still happens.

-BBH

That would be kind of awesome. Cincinnati would be best case scenario, but Columbus isn't too bad either. What about something at Origins this year? It's in late June, I believe.

Kal-el

Ohio is about a seven hour drive for me as well. That would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

Dog

First post on the forum.  My buddy and I were really into the game during it's heyday, but we played really stupidly.  We just threw all the cards into our decks and fired away!  No deckbuilding!  "Hey, I don't have a copy of this Double Shot; put it in!"  We let the cards fall where they may and just had a fun time with it.

That was a long time ago, but I still have all the cards.  :)  I often think there would be a lot of potential in a revitalization of the game with a slightly different approach.  Glad to see people are still talking about OverPower after all these years.

Nate Grey

Quote from: Dog on February 11, 2011, 03:41:27 PM
First post on the forum.  My buddy and I were really into the game during it's heyday, but we played really stupidly.  We just threw all the cards into our decks and fired away!  No deckbuilding!  "Hey, I don't have a copy of this Double Shot; put it in!"  We let the cards fall where they may and just had a fun time with it.

That was a long time ago, but I still have all the cards.  :)  I often think there would be a lot of potential in a revitalization of the game with a slightly different approach.  Glad to see people are still talking about OverPower after all these years.

Welcome to the forums, Dog. Back when we first started playing we also played with huge decks, also throwing everything in there, even the crappy specials. We had a great time, until I totally got owned at my first tournament and finally had to learn about deckbuilding and strategies.  :D

Hot Rod

Quote from: Nate Grey on February 12, 2011, 03:48:25 PM
Back when we first started playing we also played with huge decks, also throwing everything in there, even the crappy specials. We had a great time, until I totally got owned at my first tournament and finally had to learn about deckbuilding and strategies.  :D

This is something that was very true when overpower was still lively, and even somewhat true today with a lot of old information falling off the web.  All of us who were blessed with a top end meta were fortunate indeed.

DaGreatNameless

i live in michigan half a hour from the ohio border but have family in Vergie Ky. i go there like once a year