teammate ko inherants from reserve

Started by The Dude, August 30, 2010, 11:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

do they work from reserve?

(think Landslide or Xaos)

BigBadHarve

I have always played that they do... though I can't verify officially. That's one area that never came up.

Interestingly enough, I was always told that certain inherents (like Longshot's or Invisible Woman's) don't work from reserve. Though I could never find any justification for one character's inherent working from reserve while another cannot (aside from the obvious inherent abilities that specifically affect the reserve.)

My answer would be yes on that one, primarily because I think all IA's should count at all times, even from reserve.

-BBH

justa

i agree with Harve.  while i also am not sure of the "real" rules, we've always played that IAs are inherent to the character, therefore they count whether the character is in reserve or on the frontline.  i.e., the team of Longshot, Invisible Woman, Blue Beetle, and Comm. James Gordon is +8 for venture each battle that they are alive (+1 for Marvel Universe as a homebase).  makes up for the low grid numbers on the team - actually quite playable.

Demacus

I'm posting here cause I'd like to hear from someone who actually "KNOWS" for sure if reserve Inherant ablilties are active or not, and since it appears this line went dead in Sept of 2010 without any REAL answer, I thought I'd bump it back up for discussion.

NickW

Yes, the Inherent Ability for the Reserve character is in play, whether it is a simple "May play (xyz) from Reserve" or "Team is +2 to Venture total each battle."

CoS

Quote from: NickW on August 06, 2011, 02:51:49 PM
Yes, the Inherent Ability for the Reserve character is in play, whether it is a simple "May play (xyz) from Reserve" or "Team is +2 to Venture total each battle."

Nick i seem to remember Norm's ruling that the +2 or -2 venture IA's specifically NOT working from reserver. As of 1998 at least...

NickW

I can certainly see why that might be the case.  I tried to justify it before I posted my answer this time.  But, I cannot find any other IA's that should be "turned off" simply because the character is in the reserve. Also, I don't believe there is anything in a rule book that says they do not have an affect on the game while in reserve unless it specifically says so (i.e. "May play (xyz) from Reserve.").

Yes, the +2 to Venture from Invisible Woman / Blue Beetle or the -2 from Longshot if they are in reserve can put the opponent in a bad spot since there is little they can do about it until they can both get that character to the front line and then KO them, but unless there was an errata issued that mentioned these IA's I don't see why they should not be in play.

NickW

Wow, so this is what it's like to lose one's mind.  I totally forgot that IA guide existed...  I sit corrected.