AoA historical twist aspect

Started by breadmaster, March 13, 2013, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

'Age of Apocalypse's team may rearrange all Hits in the Permanent Records of all Front Line Characters.'

i've chatted with a few people about this, and i've gotten different responses

should AoA be able to rearrange hits on the opponent as well? (all front line characters).  the tournament guide says nothing

a similarly worded card is kree's yon-rogg

'Move all Hits from Current Battle into the Permanent Records of all Characters. Affects Venture total. (GF)'

the wording is different, but this one affects both players

gameplan.exe

I took it to mean both sides, for both cards. the only rule I'd say about the Aspect, is that the hits can't cross enemy lines  ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

that was my thinking too.  both teams, no crossover

i know others feel differently, so i'd like to hear from the other side

thetrooper27

I believe in another thread we talked about specials referring to front line mean YOUR front line, unless specified on the card, but I'm not sure...
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

BigBadHarve

As much as I'd love Historical twist to affect both sides, I'm pretty sure it only affects the AoA team that's playing it.

I can't find any rules to support that, but I'm confident that was the intent of the card.

Onslaught

The text is referencing the AoA team, not the opponent.

breadmaster

that's one interpretation for sure

another is that the early text is only referencing who gets to decide which hits are moved where

halcyon1234

I'm actually torn about this. I know it SHOULD refer to only your frontline. But if so, it should have said "Teammates'".  Meta 31:

"When a Special refers to a teammate, it means another Character on your team (unless the text of the Special indicates otherwise) that is not the Character who played the Special. If the Special is referring to all of the Character's teammates, then it does include the Reserve Character. If it is referring to what can be done with a specific teammate, then it applies only to the Front Line Characters. It never means the Battlesite or the Home Base."

I think the saving grace here is the aspect's wording "'Age of Apocalypse's team may..."

If you read it so that the first part of the effect defines the scope of Characters, it works.  "Play this card. It effects AoA's team. Those characters it is effecting may rearrange hits, but only amongst those effected characters that are in the Front Line."

gameplan.exe

I really don't understand why there is debate on this. It says all. It does not restrict in any way. Unless there is some kind of documented ruling or Meta Rule for this card, it really should be affecting all Front Line Characters, including the opponent's.

Was there a ruling somewhere? Tournament Guide?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

What I don't understand is why people who never played the game when rulings like these were commonly discussed and definitively answered think that there is something to debate. This is one that I'm 100% positive on, people played it the wrong way a lot (rearranging hits on opponent's frontline, or in some whacky extreme cases I even heard of people thinking that you could move hits from YOUR frontline onto their frontline), so it is something that caused a bit of confusion at the time. But it was resolved. Sorry if there isn't an AOL chat circa 1999 definitively answering your question about a niche card from a relatively unknown game.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on March 19, 2013, 04:51:14 PM
What I don't understand is why people who never played the game when rulings like these were commonly discussed and definitively answered think that there is something to debate. This is one that I'm 100% positive on, people played it the wrong way a lot (rearranging hits on opponent's frontline, or in some whacky extreme cases I even heard of people thinking that you could move hits from YOUR frontline onto their frontline), so it is something that caused a bit of confusion at the time. But it was resolved. Sorry if there isn't an AOL chat circa 1999 definitively answering your question about a niche card from a relatively unknown game.

you mad, bro?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

Quote from: Onslaught on March 19, 2013, 04:51:14 PM

really?

you can't understand why people who didn't play the game when these rulings were made, debate how they should be played, when there isn't any evidence anywhere today of how they should be played

...really? you can't be serious

as far as judges rulings...those carry little weight.  california judges ruled that an ally follow was an attack made WITH a universe card, despite the meta, influencing players' interpretation of the rules up to present. 

you can't say in one topic, 'play what's on the card', then in another, 'play how i remember it, and ignore what's on the card'

Onslaught

If you think that the card references all characters, then by the same logic you have to also think that would apply for all hits. So there actually is no valid interpretation that would end up with "rearrange all your frontline hits, and rearrange all their frontline hits." The only choices are "rearrange your frontline hits, the end" or "rearrange all hits onto any characters you want." Those are your choices, and the latter is obviously ridiculously broken and would have been abused by everyone if that was how the card was played.

breadmaster

that's a good point, and supports your interpretation

guess deabating wasn't so pointless after all...

Onslaught

One time I read a tournament report where someone WAS playing it like that, and it was completely hilarious/absurd. I wish I had shit like that saved (especially anything from AoA message boards), because it would be pretty funny to read now. It was basically like

Round 1 - "So I took some hits then played my aspect and won my friend Brody got really mad"
1-0

Round 2- "This was a close one but then I played my aspect and KOed two of his characters, close call and they said I was cheesey"

2-0

Etc..