AoA historical twist aspect

Started by breadmaster, March 13, 2013, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on March 19, 2013, 07:23:19 PM
If you think that the card references all characters, then by the same logic you have to also think that would apply for all hits. So there actually is no valid interpretation that would end up with "rearrange all your frontline hits, and rearrange all their frontline hits." The only choices are "rearrange your frontline hits, the end" or "rearrange all hits onto any characters you want." Those are your choices, and the latter is obviously ridiculously broken and would have been abused by everyone if that was how the card was played.

This is actually not true.

Playing it "as written" would, in fact, mean that all hits on both Front Lines could be rearranged however the player desired, including crossing the battle line. That is true, because "all" is not exclusive and there was poor punctuation written in the card. I agree that it would be ridiculously poor form if that was, in fact, how this card was/is played.

Having said that, it would need some form of editing, like an errata. At that point, the writer of the errata would need to limit the power of the card. They could "nerf" it to say that the player can rearrange all hits on his own front line, or on "each" front line, implying that the hits cannot be swapped between the two opponents' characters.

Either the card is being played "as written" or someone is going to "nerf" it based on... whatever they feel like, I guess.  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

drdeath25

I am tired of this 'play as written' bullshit. How about you play by the actual rules for once?

Ncant, why do you even care? AoA has villains on it, thus it will never be used in your godly home-game.

End of rant, carry on with your stupid ass rules bantering even though nobody here actually played in a real sanctioned tournament with real judges before, where shit like this was common knoledge that everyone in the tournament knew about.  Sorry it wasent documented as a meta-rule, but there is already 150 of those, not every card needed a meta-rule.

Use common sense, dont play cards to break the game.

Carry on, i said.

-DRDEATH25

Onslaught

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 19, 2013, 10:10:42 PM
Ncant, why do you even care? AoA has villains on it, thus it will never be used in your godly home-game.

breadmaster

one of the real shames with this card is that it goes from ridiculously broken on one side (hits crossing), to completely useless on the other (arranging only your own hits)

if the effect at least lasted the battle like vertigo, it would be good.  how often do you have 2 hits on each front line character to move around...

Onslaught

Play it with Martyr for the Cause, hope it hurts your opponent more than it hurts you, then play the aspect afterwards to spread around the hits you just sucked in. Shrug. It's still a decent aspect, like you could move two hits onto Dark Beast to make him a target when you had an Acrobatics in hand.

TBH AoA is a great homebase anyway (dual negate lineup with X-Man + Invisible Woman inherent ability is rock solid), so it didn't really deserve a good Aspect anyway. Especially considering some of the super joke homebases that didn't even get an Aspect at all in X-Men...

thetrooper27

What I don't understand is why carry aggression and make things personal when we're all a community of brothers here.  I'm not talking about playful quips in good taste, usually noted with something like  ;) or  :P.  That's all in good fun.  I'm talking about uppercuts.  Agree, disagree... none of that matters, really.  We all love this game... why not love each other in a brotherly, gentlemanlike manner? 

You guys are my closest associates right now... after all of my life and community obligations are met, THIS is the place I visit the most... The Palatinus OverPower Forum.  I CHOOSE to spend my free time reading and posting because I ENJOY not only this game but also you guys!  I love the debate... its alot of fun, I've learned a great deal from many of you who have given me your time and opinions, and you guys all have great insights and raise relevant points and counterpoints.  The game's ruleset is incomplete... which is why we can have a 6 page debate on a Longshot card that I've never even played before.  But that's all it is... a debate.  Why take a shot at ncannelora for his faith when it has nothing to do with the aspect in question?  This would make me feel disrespected, and as a man, would likely make me want to spend my free time elsewhere.  No tears, no vengeance... it isn't about being the victim.  But why intentionally make someone feel unwelcome when they're a part of an already small community that will only survive as long as we keep building it.  If we tear each other down, we tear down the OverPower community.  I have as much respect for any of you guys as I do my friends and family here at home.  I can't imagine how or in what way I would be needed, but I would do just about anything for any of you and for no reason other than I like you guys.  I don't need to know you guys personally to care about ya.  You build friendships over time.  If I could afford it, I'd buy a plane ticket every month, set aside a weekend, fly to meet each one of you and have superhero slugfests all night long because I love this game and I love meeting cool people.  I would play by any ruling anyone wanted to, and I would have a great time winning OR losing against any of you, as long as we're respecting one another and having a good time.  This is also how I prefer to post.

I am thrilled that there are still so many guys playing OverPower, with its discontinued printing and hard to discern rulings.  Think about what's going on here guys... new sets are being printed, tournaments are being organized... all because of cooperation.  To have a good debate, it involves cooperation of the opposing perspectives to respect one another and hear one another out in hopes of carrying the discussion to its furthest end and make a judgment call, whereas an argument is totally noncompliant.  If someone posts a reply that differs from mine, it doesn't mean that they're upset with me, it means they disagree.  Someone mentioned in another thread that even though a guy felt screwed out of some cards in a purchase they should let it go for the sake of keeping the game strong in the community.  I believe that applies here.  Maybe in California the ruling on a card is different than a ruling in Toronto, or Tennessee or Australia... so lets talk about it.  Lets debate it.  But we don't have to fight and we certainly don't have to insult anyone when they've shown their sound character.  I don't usually get the final word in any discussion on this board, but I'm humbly happy to accept that and enjoy being a part of the group. 
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

breadmaster

that's true.  i guess you could also intentionally KO a couple characters through switching and venture ftw knowing you have a block off on beast

also, nicely said troop

gameplan.exe

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 19, 2013, 10:10:42 PM
I am tired of this 'play as written' bullshit. How about you play by the actual rules for once?

End of rant, carry on with your stupid ass rules bantering even though nobody here actually played in a real sanctioned tournament with real judges before, where shit like this was common knoledge that everyone in the tournament knew about.  Sorry it wasent documented as a meta-rule, but there is already 150 of those, not every card needed a meta-rule.

Use common sense, dont play cards to break the game.

Carry on, i said.

-DRDEATH25

first of all, I didn't bring up the "play as written" angle. I actually think this card should not be played as written. from there, though, I'm pointing out that the alternative is not, in fact, limited to one other option.

secondly, I care because I finally have a decent print of a Blink Hero card. Blink, X-Man, Morph, Shadowcat = good guys. also, I care because in my circle there are others who use bad guys on the regular, so it's good to know where the official ruling is and, short of that, it's good to know how others think of it.

lastly, was the phrase, "End of rant," the title of that run on sentence of that paragraph? or am I confused about what it means to end a rant?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: Onslaught on March 19, 2013, 11:44:04 PM
TBH AoA is a great homebase anyway (dual negate lineup with X-Man + Invisible Woman inherent ability is rock solid), so it didn't really deserve a good Aspect anyway. Especially considering some of the super joke homebases that didn't even get an Aspect at all in X-Men...

Invisible Woman isnt even on the card  ;)
and its topics like these that are the reason why just use icon attacks
AGE OF APOCALYPSE
     * HISTORICAL TWIST (B4) <XM> {R} [OPD]
        Age of Apocalypse's team may rearrange all Hits in the Permanent
            Records of all Front Line Characters.
and yeah       should say teammates

i see what ya mean dem

Demacus

@steve2275
Quote from: Onslaught on March 19, 2013, 11:44:04 PM

You are reading it wrong...  read it like this...

AoA is a great homebase anyway (dual negate lineup (Holocaust and Dark Beast) + X-Man + an inherent ability similar to Invisible Woman's is rock solid),

gameplan.exe

look, it's not even about "need" is it? I thought this was supposed to be a twist of historic proportions... I realize it's still cool to be able to rearrange your own hits however you want, but I'm just saying that there is no documentation showing that this card was actually nerf'd, and there's no documentation of how it was nerf'd... so I'm just arguing that it's debatable in both regards (whether or not it should be; if so, how)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

AO user

Late to the party but is the aspect a one time deal or since it is opd its a FROG like a retro active vertigo once a battle?